There are 299 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He reminds me the most of Brees. He's about that size height and weight. He reads the field well, has good anticipation, goes through his reads and progressions easily and throws with accuracy. I'm not saying he's exactly that right now. But he reminds me most of that compared to other guys. With a little more athletic running outside the pocket. While he's not super athletic he can buy a little time to throw outside the pocket in 10 yard split areas. I think he can be very good. We can even win with him IMO.

I'm right there with you brother!!!
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Nah, he likes trash ass QBs like he loved Nathan Peterman and Kyle Trask

You're going to change your tune when DarGOAT is lighting up the scoreboard in the playoffs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Great to hear that the DarGOATs backup is progressing well.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He reminds me the most of Brees. He's about that size height and weight. He reads the field well, has good anticipation, goes through his reads and progressions easily and throws with accuracy. I'm not saying he's exactly that right now. But he reminds me most of that compared to other guys. With a little more athletic running outside the pocket. While he's not super athletic he can buy a little time to throw outside the pocket in 10 yard split areas. I think he can be very good. We can even win with him IMO.

I agree Drew with more mobility and a little less deep ball accuracy
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree Drew with more mobility and a little less deep ball accuracy

Brock had broken ribs down the stretch! This year he will be much improved!

and no, I'm not positive that he had broken ribs but he had something. He was seriously injured during that seattle game and if he was barely able to Throw the ball - that doesn't just go away with a week of rest. Lol he won't say anything about it though. Just like Lance didn't complain about his finger injury
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Unless Brock's arm falls off, there's nothing Trey could do to even come close to that reality . . . . .

Exhibit A, anyone?

In what case?

If Brock's arm is healthy, he is the starter.

You're replying for the sake of replying,...as that's clearly not what the OP said.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Bangbang89:
Glad Brock is on track but hate that apparently he's been anointed qb1. Yes he did play well last year but we've seen that all happen before. And then they end up not playing so well later on down the line. Not a fan of one single player, I'm a fan of the 49ers. I would like to see what lance would look like for 5 games straight. I just hope they're not rushing Brock back.

Just curious, if the team went 2-3 in that five-game stretch, will you consider that experiment to have been worthwhile?

If Lance has a QB rating of -1.0 but the team is 5-0, would that be a reason to continue playing Lance? I don't think so. Don't look at win/loss records when evaluating quarterbacks.

Well, if the team is 5-0 I think it would be pretty difficult for Lance to have a QB rating of -1. so I'm not sure that's a very serious hypothetical. If they are 5-0 he must have been doing something right. If they were 5-0 and he had a passer rating in the 70's and was completing less than 60% of his passes than that would certainly be something to look at. I think what I was really getting at was, given the slim margins we have seen in the last few years in the difference between making the playoffs and missing them, would those three losses, which might have an impact on whether or not the team were able to make the playoffs, be worth losing another year out of our current Super Bowl window, just so we can see how Lance develops? I suspect that's the question the team will be asking itself going into this season. Of course, there is also the possibility that Lance completely balls out and relegates Purdy to the role of best back-up in the league. Not sure that would be the case unless there is a setback with Brock's elbow, but stranger things have happened.
[ Edited by 49ers81 on Jun 1, 2023 at 9:11 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Unless Brock's arm falls off, there's nothing Trey could do to even come close to that reality . . . . .

Exhibit A, anyone?

In what case?

If Brock's arm is healthy, he is the starter.

You're replying for the sake of replying,...as that's clearly not what the OP said.

Says the guy who posted "Exhibit A, anyone?".

lol
What's unclear to me is how much will the injury affect his motion, how much power does he have still, and how much improvement from him can negate the added preparation from other OCs.
I think Brock Purdy only compares to Brock Purdy... to me he has a unique skill set combination.

-pocket awareness and elusiveness
-not afraid to put it in tight windows
-excellent post snap processing
-sneaky quick in first 10 yards
-can see large parts of the field at the same time
-great leadership, guys rally around him

He does all the other things well, these are just the traits that make him special and our franchise QB1 for the next 10 years

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I think Brock Purdy only compares to Brock Purdy... to me he has a unique skill set combination.

-pocket awareness and elusiveness
-not afraid to put it in tight windows
-excellent post snap processing
-sneaky quick in first 10 yards
-can see large parts of the field at the same time
-great leadership, guys rally around him

He does all the other things well, these are just the traits that make him special and our franchise QB1 for the next 10 years

100% he was looking fantastic. I hope this injury doesn't derail him.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
What's unclear to me is how much will the injury affect his motion, how much power does he have still, and how much improvement from him can negate the added preparation from other OCs.

Niner's Wire had a piece that I think reflects my biggest concern. There have been a couple of QB's who have had similar surgery, both associated with the Niner's oddly enough, Mullins and that guy they just had in camp, and both of them seem to have come back physically well enough. The question that remains unanswered is, how will the injury affect the mental part of his game. Apparently, Purdy has never had a serious injury before this one and he seemed really fearless back there last year. His willingness to hang in and take a hit led to some big-time throws, and gains. You have to wonder if there now might be some kind of lingering doubts about standing up to the rush as he has. He seems like a kid who has his head screwed on straight so hopefully it won't be something that ends up affecting his game.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Bangbang89:
Glad Brock is on track but hate that apparently he's been anointed qb1. Yes he did play well last year but we've seen that all happen before. And then they end up not playing so well later on down the line. Not a fan of one single player, I'm a fan of the 49ers. I would like to see what lance would look like for 5 games straight. I just hope they're not rushing Brock back.

Just curious, if the team went 2-3 in that five-game stretch, will you consider that experiment to have been worthwhile?

If Lance has a QB rating of -1.0 but the team is 5-0, would that be a reason to continue playing Lance? I don't think so. Don't look at win/loss records when evaluating quarterbacks.

Well, if the team is 5-0 I think it would be pretty difficult for Lance to have a QB rating of -1. so I'm not sure that's a very serious hypothetical. If they are 5-0 he must have been doing something right. If they were 5-0 and he had a passer rating in the 70's and was completing less than 60% of his passes than that would certainly be something to look at. I think what I was really getting at was, given the slim margins we have seen in the last few years in the difference between making the playoffs and missing them, would those three losses, which might have an impact on whether or not the team were able to make the playoffs, be worth losing another year out of our current Super Bowl window, just so we can see how Lance develops? I suspect that's the question the team will be asking itself going into this season. Of course, there is also the possibility that Lance completely balls out and relegates Purdy to the role of best back-up in the league. Not sure that would be the case unless there is a setback with Brock's elbow, but stranger things have happened.

My point is team record has little to do with whether or not a developing QB should be allowed to continue playing. My hypothetical of a -1.0 QB rating is to show an extreme case, so let's not use that. In your more realistic hypothetical of a 70 QB rating, how did he get to that rating? Are passes doinking off WRs hands and getting intercepted? Is he throwing into triple coverage? Is he running around like a headless chicken, relying on off script plays while missing open WRs that are in rhythm of the play design? Stats lie, don't use them to evaluate a QB.

Niner's Wire had a piece that I think reflects my biggest concern. There have been a couple of QB's who have had similar surgery, both associated with the Niner's oddly enough, Mullins and that guy they just had in camp, and both of them seem to have come back physically well enough. The question that remains unanswered is, how will the injury affect the mental part of his game. Apparently, Purdy has never had a serious injury before this one and he seemed really fearless back there last year. His willingness to hang in and take a hit led to some big-time throws, and gains. You have to wonder if there now might be some kind of lingering doubts about standing up to the rush as he has. He seems like a kid who has his head screwed on straight so hopefully it won't be something that ends up affecting his game.

Time will tell... until then, I'm rooting for Lance to outplay Darnold, for which at this point seems like a push...

I think we will know soon. Brock's heading to Jacksonville to work with his qb coaches to make sure his mechanics are right and tight

Same ones he worked with last off season who improved his MPH by five!!

im not too concerned - especially if he's been going through the motions and just not throwing a ball. It's the muscle memory and all that. Should be fine but it's something I'm def keeping an eye on.
Share 49ersWebzone