LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 196 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I honestly think the reason why super athletic QBs aren't great passers, and they're usually African-Americans, are cause their coaches in highschool and college don't hone their passing skills the same as they do non athletic guys who have to rely on passing. They're just depending on them running and throwing wide open passes because teams are hesitant of the player running. That doesn't work as well in the pros unless you're a super freak like Lamar, and even then that has its limitations.

these young super athletic QBs growing up need to tell these coaches no, hone their passing. That way they're TRUE dual threats.

i assess a qb by saying "if I don't run him at all, like a traditional qb, can he stand in the pocket and pass the ball properly?" If not, I don't want them. Because the run stuff will eventually fade and/or wear them down. They need to get better coaching like the non athletic guys do so they're super QBs.

historically, most super athletic QBs struggle to get even 60% completion. That's bad and it's a Trend for a reason. It'll eventually change but I believe that's a huge problem with them coming into the pros.

I think the reason is because they are so naturally gifted and the best athletes on the field that they don't work on the QBing aspects.

Then when they do, their body and mind aren't trained for it. So even though they work on it, when bullets start flying they resort back to what they know.

That is part of the reason I don't believe in QBs fixing accuracy once they get into the league. When the bullets start flying, your footwork, mechanics or "flight" instincts resort back to what they know.

It seemed like Trey's showcase was a good example. Game was close, he was struggling passing went back to running.

I don't think race has anything to do with it. I also don't put the blame on the coaches. A lot of the time it's the QB running. When the coaches are the ones calling it, there's usually a good reason why. Remember they have a job to do too. Families to feed

Agree with both. Awesomely great points. These dual threat QBs are so talented physically that it slows their passing development down in the ways you both mentioned above.

The key for Kyle is patience. Walsh kept Steve and didn't trade him despite looking like a crap QB for the longest time. Unfortunately the Cap is a barrier to doing that long term nowadays. Now it went both ways, Steve could have demanded a trade and/or could have been difficult with Walsh once he did develop into a decent QB, but he stayed with Walsh and didn't want to leave Walsh.

I don't know if it will be the same with Trey. In other words if I was Trey and my rookie contract is up, do I go for the money, or stay with Kyle and continue to get coached up? Again assuming Kyle keeps Trey for the entirety of Treys rookie contract.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree with both. Awesomely great points. These dual threat QBs are so talented physically that it slows their passing development down in the ways you both mentioned above.

The key for Kyle is patience. Walsh kept Steve and didn't trade him despite looking like a crap QB for the longest time. Unfortunately the Cap is a barrier to doing that long term nowadays. Now it went both ways, Steve could have demanded a trade and/or could have been difficult with Walsh once he did develop into a decent QB, but he stayed with Walsh and didn't want to leave Walsh.

I don't know if it will be the same with Trey. In other words if I was Trey and my rookie contract is up, do I go for the money, or stay with Kyle and continue to get coached up? Again assuming Kyle keeps Trey for the entirety of Treys rookie contract.

The key to being able to giving a player a bunch of time are a few things.
1. You have a really good and consistent starter (montana/Favre/Rodgers). We don't even know if we have a healthy starter. Lol
2. what did you give up to get that player? We gave up a second and fourth for Young. Rodgers & Love we're mid-late first round selections. None of that really hurts a team or consumes a lot of their draft capitol.

we have some of that going on, but not exactly. It would be awesome to keep a player for years to develop with no concern, but that gets difficult. We will see how it shakes out. Lance may even be our starter this year and changes the whole convo, who the hell knows with the 49ers qb1 spot. Hahaha
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 1, 2023 at 6:37 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I need some goddamn Niners football.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I need some goddamn Purdy rehab updates (positive ones) 😭

It's a little early for rehab updates. He just had the surgery last month.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Hahah I know. It's just what I'm anxiously awaiting to hear.

I want Purdy to he ready by Week 8-10. Then if Lance is not playing well with 8-10 consecutive starts you go to Brock for the playoff run.

Too big a risk Brock is like Case Keenum and Foles when they lit it up for some games but in reality they were just a guy - to not find out who Trey is good or bad. If Brock is a Case Keenum or a Jimmy or even just a top 10-15 qb in the league I will never forgive Shanalynch if Trey became an elite qb within the next five years. Brock better be Joe ****ing Montana if we are going to ship Trey out before legitimately finding out what he is with a sample size.

Not to mention by Week 8-10 Brock probably 100% ready to go not something less. He shouldn't be playing until 100% after an injury like that if he's as good as some of you claim in here. If Brock lit it up vs Dallas like he did in some of the earlier games against average defenses that would have been helpful. But he didn't. He was contained. We fell for Jimmy after 5 starts not gonna make that mistake again.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Apr 1, 2023 at 8:20 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I want hourly updates.
I want some excellent rehab updates for his prognosis long term but simultaneously that he won't be ready and 100% until miidseason which gives Trey 8-10 games and far less than what Josh Allen got (two seasons) before he stopped sucking and became elite. After what Shanalynch said I'm really hoping Brock is not ready by Week 1 lol
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

I want Purdy to he ready by Week 8-10. Then if Lance is not playing well with 8-10 consecutive starts you go to Brock for the playoff run.

Too big a risk Brock is like Case Keenum and Foles when they lit it up for some games but in reality they were just a guy - to not find out who Trey is good or bad. If Brock is a Case Keenum or a Jimmy or even just a top 10-15 qb in the league I will never forgive Shanalynch if Trey became an elite qb within the next five years. Brock better be Joe ****ing Montana if we are going to ship Trey out before legitimately finding out what he is with a sample size.

Not to mention by Week 8-10 Brock probably 100% ready to go not something less. He shouldn't be playing until 100% after an injury like that if he's as good as some of you claim in here. If Brock lit it up vs Dallas like he did in some of the earlier games against average defenses that would have been helpful. But he didn't. He was contained. We fell for Jimmy after 5 starts not gonna make that mistake again.

Yeah I don't want that at all. Lol I want him ready week 1, if he can be. Latest by week 4. Ideally, his rehab goes as planned and he's in training camp and ready to go week 1.

I'm all for not rushing Purdy back. If Trey plays well then they won't need to. Darnold adds additional insurance if he can pick up the system quickly. We don't know if Purdy will be able to play as well as he did last season. Even without the injury, there was no guarantee that he would be as good. Teams have the off season to review his film and spot weaknesses. Seven games doesn't make a career.

Yeah I don't want that at all. Lol I want him ready week 1, if he can be. Latest by week 4. Ideally, his rehab goes as planned and he's in training camp and ready to go week 1.

Yeah I want Trey starting a bunch of games consecutively before Brock is back. We know more of what we have in Brock and I want to know and assess with my own eyes after 8-10 consecutive starts if Trey can be just as good or better than Brock.

Sample sizes too low on both of them but the most important unknown is Trey with his upside and physical traits so I want to find out and make a more informed assessment with him you know actually playing.

I like Brock a lot and love that he exposed Jimmy for being the average player that he is and holding the offense back - but I want an elite qb long-terrm so like I said Brock better be Joe Montana if he is going to block Trey from more starts before we trade him elsewhere.

So sad to not get that data point of Brock vs Philly and how would he perform vs their D after looking solid but unspectacular and unexplosive vs Dallas' top defense. If he lit up Philly's D for 35 points and a few tds no picks it would have gone a long way. But we'll never get to know which is almost as big a disappointment as losing the game.

Data points are helpful when you have a #3 overall pick on your roster at qb position when there is only one that can play that you are blocking from playing.
I want some excellent rehab updates for his prognosis long term but simultaneously that he won't be ready and 100% until miidseason which gives Trey 8-10 games and far less than what Josh Allen got (two seasons) before he stopped sucking and became elite. After what Shanalynch said I'm really hoping Brock is not ready by Week 1 lol

Careful what you wish for. The traits that make you think Trey has a higher ceiling than Brock could make you think he has a higher ceiling than Brady. With the big/fast/throw hard criteria we could probably say a lot of TEs have a higher ceiling than Brady too.

We all know that's not how it works. Trey has a looooong way to go in becoming a QB and Kyle and John obviously know this.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Apr 1, 2023 at 9:24 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
WTF did I just read? Don't want Brock back until week 8-10?

LMAO! And the Trey "haters" are the ones wanting to be right. The Trey "haters" putting being right above the team. DAFUQ?
Yeah I want Trey starting a bunch of games consecutively before Brock is back. We know more of what we have in Brock and I want to know and assess with my own eyes after 8-10 consecutive starts if Trey can be just as good or better than Brock.

Sample sizes too low on both of them but the most important unknown is Trey with his upside and physical traits so I want to find out and make a more informed assessment with him you know actually playing.

I like Brock a lot and love that he exposed Jimmy for being the average player that he is and holding the offense back - but I want an elite qb long-terrm so like I said Brock better be Joe Montana if he is going to block Trey from more starts before we trade him elsewhere.

So sad to not get that data point of Brock vs Philly and how would he perform vs their D after looking solid but unspectacular and unexplosive vs Dallas' top defense. If he lit up Philly's D for 35 points and a few tds no picks it would have gone a long way. But we'll never get to know which is almost as big a disappointment as losing the game.

Data points are helpful when you have a #3 overall pick on your roster at qb position when there is only one that can play that you are blocking from playing.

Yeah that's not going to happen. It's honestly unlikely trey will beat out darnold to hold Brock's jockstrap and keep the bench warm.

Darnold was considered more ready and as physically talented as trey or more.

Both of them you can already tell don't have the swagger or the "it" factor.

It's a battle for second and third string at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone