There are 185 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Is Dirty in Santa Clara right now, or is he at home?

He's in the Phoenix area for rehab, which is coincidently where he is from. He's working with a famous doctor who specials in these kinds of rehabs and does all the big time baseball guys who get this. He's in good hands!

i posted an interview he did today and he talked about what's he's doing. It's exciting! He's def not sitting on his butt. Said he's reviewing film/formations, studying the playbook. Working on footwork etc. until his range of motion rehab is done!
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 31, 2023 at 5:49 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

He's in the Phoenix area for rehab, which is coincidently where he is from. He's working with a famous doctor who specials in these kinds of rehabs and does all the big time baseball guys who get this. He's in good hands!

i posted an interview he did today and he talked about what's he's doing. It's exciting! He's def not sitting on his butt. Said he's reviewing film/formations, studying the playbook. Working on footwork etc. until his range of motion rehab is done!

Wow, that's pretty close to the Bay Area, I didn't know he was from Phoenix. I thought he was from the Mid-West or something.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 31, 2023 at 5:55 PM ]

here is a link to an interview that Brock just did discussing his rehab etc. i haven't finished it but wanted to post it for all to check out as I'm listening to it.

Thanks for linking that. Good to hear Brock in high spirits. Injuries can be mentally and emotionally taxing for players, but BCB sounds like he's ready to lead the team back to the NFCC and beyond.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 31, 2023 at 6:05 PM ]

Wow, that's pretty close to the Bay Area, I didn't know he was from Phoenix. I thought he was from the Mid-West or something.

Yes sir! Also fun fact, the doc who is doing his rehab with him; did Purdys dad when he had surgery on his elbow. Purdys dad played for the SF giants (never made it out of the farm leagues though)
Originally posted by Heroism:

here is a link to an interview that Brock just did discussing his rehab etc. i haven't finished it but wanted to post it for all to check out as I'm listening to it.

Thanks for linking that. Good to hear Brock in high spirits. Injuries can be mentally and emotionally taxing for players, but BCB sounds like he's ready to lead the team back to the NFCC and beyond.

Yeah, he keeps his spirits high and extremely confident. You can tell he does a great job not getting caught up in the glitz and glamor and just stays grounded. It's super cool
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yes sir! Also fun fact, the doc who is doing his rehab with him; did Purdys dad when he had surgery on his elbow. Purdys dad played for the SF giants (never made it out of the farm leagues though)

Wow, he played for Giants? I didn't know that, definite fun fact.

Their double A affiliate! He played 8 seasons in the minors.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/why-brock-purdys-49ers-success-looks-familiar-fathers-former-teammates?amp

Purdy's father, Shawn, was a closer for the Giants' Double-A affiliate that year, playing for a man who would go on to become one of the most successful coaches in franchise history, and with a few players who later would be stars for the big league club. While Shawn Purdy never reached the highest level, the confidence he showed in the ninth inning of minor league games still stands out nearly three decades later.

"He didn't need any direction or coaching," recalled longtime Giants coach Ron Wotus, who managed that Shreveport team. "He was focused, he was prepared, he was confident."

Sound familiar?

Wotus managed the Captains to an 88-47 record that season and Shawn Purdy, a right-handed reliever, was a big part of that success. Then 26 years old, he made 52 appearances and posted a 3.75 ERA while saving 21 games. Wotus remembers his closer having great movement on a low 90s fastball, while also utilizing a slider and an "outstanding changeup."

Shawn Purdy wasn't overpowering, but he was always comfortable with a game on the line.

"He really showed no emotion on the mound. That's what made him such a good closer," Wotus said. "You couldn't tell if he gave up a home run or if he just punched three guys out. He kept that bulldog mentality and controlled his emotions. I'm just watching on TV now, but I can see a lot of Shawn in Brock, just by the competitor that you're watching and all the great things you're hearing about the kid and how he's doing his job and staying ready for the moment."
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 31, 2023 at 6:28 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/why-brock-purdys-49ers-success-looks-familiar-fathers-former-teammates?amp

Purdy's father, Shawn, was a closer for the Giants' Double-A affiliate that year, playing for a man who would go on to become one of the most successful coaches in franchise history, and with a few players who later would be stars for the big league club. While Shawn Purdy never reached the highest level, the confidence he showed in the ninth inning of minor league games still stands out nearly three decades later.

"He didn't need any direction or coaching," recalled longtime Giants coach Ron Wotus, who managed that Shreveport team. "He was focused, he was prepared, he was confident."

Sound familiar?

Wotus managed the Captains to an 88-47 record that season and Shawn Purdy, a right-handed reliever, was a big part of that success. Then 26 years old, he made 52 appearances and posted a 3.75 ERA while saving 21 games. Wotus remembers his closer having great movement on a low 90s fastball, while also utilizing a slider and an "outstanding changeup."

Shawn Purdy wasn't overpowering, but he was always comfortable with a game on the line.

"He really showed no emotion on the mound. That's what made him such a good closer," Wotus said. "You couldn't tell if he gave up a home run or if he just punched three guys out. He kept that bulldog mentality and controlled his emotions. I'm just watching on TV now, but I can see a lot of Shawn in Brock, just by the competitor that you're watching and all the great things you're hearing about the kid and how he's doing his job and staying ready for the moment."

Yeah, the minor league Giants. I played college ball at Cal State, Hayward. When I graduated, a bunch of us tried out for the Oakland A's minor league affiliate. I made the cut, the only one from Cal State, Hayward. But, they never signed me.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 31, 2023 at 6:35 PM ]

Sound familiar?

Yeah, the minor league Giants. I played college ball at Cal State, Hayward. When I graduated, a bunch of us tried out for the Oakland A's minor league affiliate. I made the cut, the only one from Cal State, Hayward. But, they never signed me.

That's still awesome! Quite an accomplishment and I bet a cool experience. You should be proud of that
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Sound familiar?

That's still awesome! Quite an accomplishment and I bet a cool experience. You should be proud of that

Was my dream to be a major leaguer. Meet a lot of awesome people, traveled to Diminques Hills, in Los Anglese for tournaments and Sac River tourneyments, also. When I went to Skyline Jr. College in San Mateo, we went to the State Championships in Chico, CA. It was double elimination tourneyment, but we lost after the 3rd game. Still, will never forget the experience and all my experiences in college. I ended up giving up on it in my Senior year at Hayward and enlisted and did 5 years in the Army. I fell off a truck while stationed in Germany and mangled my knee up. It was never the same. I ended up fulfilling my tour in Germany and re-enlisted for another 3 years and was at Fort Ord, CA in Monterey. We did a year all together, but I couldn't do PT anymore. They decided that I needed to have re-constructive surgery, but I could be on my feet in a year. But, me and the wife were worried they were going to send us back to Germany. Which is a hardship tour for us. So, I decided not to have surgery and to get out. So, they gave me a lump some payment, a VA Comp Pension for the rest of my life, since it was service connected. Anyways, I seen a lot and seen the world a little bit, at a very young age. I've been blessed and now the Niners are back. I love it, man. Just living life. Did mean to rant on. Go, Niners and go Ukraine.

Sound familiar?

Was my dream to be a major leaguer. Meet a lot of awesome people, traveled to Diminques Hills, in Los Anglese for tournaments and Sac River tourneyments, also. When I went to Skyline Jr. College in San Mateo, we went to the State Championships in Chico, CA. It was double elimination tourneyment, but we lost after the 3rd game. Still, will never forget the experience and all my experiences in college. I ended up giving up on it in my Senior year at Hayward and enlisted and did 5 years in the Army. I fell off a truck while stationed in Germany and mangled my knee up. It was never the same. I ended up fulfilling my tour in Germany and re-enlisted for another 3 years and was at Fort Ord, CA in Monterey. We did a year all together, but I couldn't do PT anymore. They decided that I needed to have re-constructive surgery, but I could be on my feet in a year. But, me and the wife were worried they were going to send us back to Germany. Which is a hardship tour for us. So, I decided not to have surgery and to get out. So, they gave me a lump some payment, a VA Comp Pension for the rest of my life, since it was service connected. Anyways, I seen a lot and seen the world a little bit, at a very young age. I've been blessed and now the Niners are back. I love it, man. Just living life. Did mean to rant on. Go, Niners and go Ukraine.
Hell yeah, Mayo! That's an awesome experience. I've learned in life that it the dream that's the most important, it's the journey along the way that is the true dream. The relationships, experiences, growth etc. those parts are truly the best parts in life, in my opinion.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Sound familiar?

Hell yeah, Mayo! That's an awesome experience. I've learned in life that it the dream that's the most important, it's the journey along the way that is the true dream. The relationships, experiences, growth etc. those parts are truly the best parts in life, in my opinion.

Yeah, a lot to look forward in our journey of life. The Niners are my life right now, along with the Warriors and Giants. Having the best time of my life right now. I hope you are too. I like you, tankle, we haven't conversed very much in the forum, but we seem to be on the same wavelength. Nice to meet you, brother. Good luck to you and the Niners.

Sound familiar?

Yeah, a lot to look forward in our journey of life. The Niners are my life right now, along with the Warriors and Giants. Having the best time of my life right now. I hope you are too. I like you, tankle, we haven't conversed very much in the forum, but we seem to be on the same wavelength. Nice to meet you, brother. Good luck to you and the Niners.

Niners have been a big focus of mine, as well. I want to experience a super bowl SO BAD! Haha I'm feeling really good about this year if our guys can stay healthy. Our d line is going to be pure havoc!
i enjoy your and your commentary on here as well. You also seem to be positive and amped for the game! Yes sir! Good luck you, the 49ers, and NOT Putin! Hahaha
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Sound familiar?

Niners have been a big focus of mine, as well. I want to experience a super bowl SO BAD! Haha I'm feeling really good about this year if our guys can stay healthy. Our d line is going to be pure havoc!
i enjoy your and your commentary on here as well. You also seem to be positive and amped for the game! Yes sir! Good luck you, the 49ers, and NOT Putin! Hahaha

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
No one was excited after these guys' Rookie years. Why did you mention it in reference to Purdy.

Why would he be referencing the excitement of Jimmy and Shaun rookie years when they weren't with the 9ers?

The point you aren't getting is he's speaking of the optimism of each based on small samples.
this guy gets it.. always does
Share 49ersWebzone