LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

DT-Kalia Davis-UCF 6th Round 2022 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Excited to see this kid & what he can do!
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Him, AA, Givens, Kinlaw and a rookie ( Roy from LSU, Beantu from Wisconsin or Karl from Bowling green ) and im good, maybe resign Ridgeway too.

The group(sans rookie) is still lacking a true run-stuffing interior DL that's capable of taking on/defeating double teams for extended periods of time. We never replaced DJ Jones, and Kalia Davis not him. He's is a very interesting and exciting player, but he's more akin to like a more talented Kevin Givens than DJ Jones. Kalia is a gap knifer - very quick and creates knockback by getting on OL early. He's looking to fire off the ball, get skinny in his gap or go back door. However, I've seen him struggle to anchor in college in his tape when OL get on him. He gets blown off the ball vs doubles because that's not his game. I hope he hits the weights hard and gets bigger and stronger because he seems to be carrying bad weight from his position switch. He's going to need to be able to do more than split the gaps in the NFL, but he's very got some tantalizing explosiveness at the 3tech spot.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 5, 2023 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Him, AA, Givens, Kinlaw and a rookie ( Roy from LSU, Beantu from Wisconsin or Karl from Bowling green ) and im good, maybe resign Ridgeway too.

The group(sans rookie) is still lacking a true run-stuffing interior DL that's capable of taking on/defeating double teams for extended periods of time. We never replaced DJ Jones, and Kalia Davis not him. He's is a very interesting and exciting player, but he's more akin to like a more talented Kevin Givens than DJ Jones. Kalia is a gap knifer - very quick and creates knockback by getting on OL early. He's looking to fire off the ball, get skinny in his gap or go back door. However, I've seen him struggle to anchor in college in his tape when OL get on him. He gets blown off the ball vs doubles because that's not his game. I hope he hits the weights hard and gets bigger and stronger because he seems to be carrying bad weight from his position switch. He's going to need to be able to do more than split the gaps in the NFL, but he's very got some tantalizing explosiveness at the 3tech spot.

I understand and agree, there are good run stuffing FA available if that's where we decide to spend $, Derek Nnadi, Greg Gaines are 2 that wouldn't break the bank but also young a good players.

I'm hoping we pick up another DT on day 3. Even if Davis were that presence, I'd say we need another so we aren't dependent on one guy. Kinlaw isn't it and I expect him to be gone in a year. Signing a vet will likely happen, but we need youth on rookie deals filling more roles as our top guys get into these second contracts. I'm all for bringing back Ridgeway but would like to see one more, fitting the description you gave.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Meh. This reminds me too much of a Baalke pick. How many injured guys did he blow draft picks on? Three? Four? How many of them recovered to play great football for the 49ers? ZERO. If I'm mistaken, or missed someone, please enlighten me.

Now, I do understand that Kyle and John are not Baalke. They do have a tendency to hit and hit big with those late round picks. I just get a bad feeling when we spend a draft pick on an injured player. We spent one on Kinlaw. Hasn't turned out so well. Yet. May not ever.

Time will tell. Long offseason to think about it. Damn
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Meh. This reminds me too much of a Baalke pick. How many injured guys did he blow draft picks on? Three? Four? How many of them recovered to play great football for the 49ers? ZERO. If I'm mistaken, or missed someone, please enlighten me.

Now, I do understand that Kyle and John are not Baalke. They do have a tendency to hit and hit big with those late round picks. I just get a bad feeling when we spend a draft pick on an injured player. We spent one on Kinlaw. Hasn't turned out so well. Yet. May not ever.

I think it was more like 3 or 4 every draft.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Yeah, I'd pass on the injured guys, though the Davis pick is absolutely where you do it. If you have a full roster where it's going to be hard for a rookie to make the team, go for it in rounds 6 and 7. Given how many holes we may have in the next year or 2, I think we need almost all 11 picks.

Not that he is going to be a truly replacement because I don't think his speed is at that level, but he could be a force on 3rd and long initially. Based off his background and skillset, that's how I'd work him into the defense initially. Get him out there on 3rd and long in the middle with AA. If Drake Jackson takes a step up, we could be something on those pass rushing downs.
I think one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Hargrave signing will be Kalia Davis. Hargrave is like the best version of what you hope Kalia Davis can become. Hagrave came into the league underdeveloped as a pass rusher and relied a lot on his athleticism to get by, but he put in the work to refine his hands and develop go-to's and counters. I think he could be a big help for Kalia Davis whose game shares a lot of similarities and has those same shortcomings at this point in his career.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM ]
I get nervous when we place expectations on a sophomore who hasn't played a snap coming back from reconstructive knee surgery.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I get nervous when we place expectations on a sophomore who hasn't played a snap coming back from reconstructive knee surgery.

We'd be totally hosed if a 6th round pick doesn't pan out.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Its about the mindset of the front office saying we need this dude to step up.

Totally better for them to say "we hope this guy can succeed, he probably can't though."
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Totally better for them to say "we hope this guy can succeed, he probably can't though."

Lol. Im thinking they say....nothing. Coach him up and see what happens.
Share 49ersWebzone