LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

A Possible Reason for not Addressing the OLine. (The Offensive Redshirt Strategy)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As we all try our best to make sense of the off-season and the teams strategy going forward, I noticed a trend on offense. Kyle tends to go with guys that are more familiar mentally with his offense rather than just upgrade to a more talented player who doesn't allow him to use his entire playbook or game plan the way he would want to. If you take a look at the offense position by position, you will see what I mean.

FB - There was no incumbent so Kyle had to go with the Harvard grad who made the pro bowl and over pay to get him.

RB - Hyde (holdover), McKinnon (exception because of lack of incumbent and was overpaid), Brieda (exception because of injury), Mostert (ST and redshirt), Morris (Wash), Coleman (ATL), Wilson (redshirt), Hasty (exception because of injuries), Mitchell( exception because of injuries), Sermon (basically redshirted)

WR - Garçon (Wash), Robinson (Wash and ATL), Goodwin (exception because of lack of incumbent), Bourne (redshirt), Taylor (redshirt), James (redshirt), Pettis (exception because of Garçon Injury) Deebo (exception because of running ability and Pettis was the incumbent, not to mention the head start at the senior bowl), Sanders (scangarillos offense and getting a closer look in joint practices) Aiyuk and Cracraft (exception because of injuries), Sanu (atl), Benjamin( CLE), Jennings (redshirt), Sherfield (ST exception because of Aiyuk doghouse)

TE - Celek (holdover), Kittle (exception because of lack of incumbent), Dwelley (redshirt), Weorner( redshirt) Toilolo (ATL), Reed(Wash), we thought interest in Hooper was to improve the TE2 a lot but it was actually because he knew the. System from ATL, which is demonstrated by the team passing on upgrades from Dwelley.

T - Staley (holdover), Brown (holdover and traded), Mcglinchey (exception because of lack of fit of the incumbent), Gilliam (redshirt), Trent (wash) Skule and Brunskill (exception because of injury), Compton (Washington and ATL), McCivitz (redshirt)

C - Kilgore (holdover), Ritchburg (exception because of lack of fit of the incumbent and over paid to get him) Garland (ATL), Brunskill (redshirt), Mack (CLE and ATL)

G - Tomlinson (technically a hold over, came with Mayhew), Fusco (holdover), Person (ATL), Compton (Wash and ATL), Brunskill (redshirt)

QB - Hoyer (CLE), Beathard (mini redshirt exception due to incumbent being Hoyer😜), Jimmy (mini redshirt exception due to incumbent being Beathard😜) Mullens (redshirt), Lance (basically redshirt) Also, the reason Kyle was willing to not even look at Mahomes and Watson and settle for Cousins.

All that being said, that could be a major reason, why Banks and Moore weren't given a shot last year, and also a reason why they might not have gone after short term FAs this year. I could be wrong and Banks and Moore can just not be that good but if I am right. Then the OLine might not be as dire a need as we think it is. It also, could mean that no matter how good any offensive players drafted this year are, they probably won't see the field much, unless it is necessary, which means the 2nd round pick will probably be DE or S, and they will use a later pick for a C/G. It also goes against my theory that the Niners could do what the Bengals did this year, next off season.

Because of this, Shanahan is willing to over pay to get and retain offensive guys, therefore, Trent and Juice were never leaving the team, Kyle was gonna match whatever offer they got. The fact that they let Tomlinson walk, either shows growth, or it shows faith in the redshirts to replace him. Also, the fact that they didn't sign Billy Turner who is familiar scheme might point to that as well.

Finally, the biggest hole in my theory is at QB. The team would have definitely started Watson or Stafford at QB last year if they got them instead of Lance, however, now that Lance had his redshirt year, if he shows up to camp ready and out of the doghouse, I think Kyle will have no problem starting him even if Jimmy is on the team.

What do you guys think?
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Mar 26, 2022 at 3:15 PM ]
I think he let the decent line players go because we have no money because of Jimmy's contract.

Both on the oline and dline.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I think he let the decent line players go because we have no money because of Jimmy's contract.

Both on the oline and dline.

1. I doubt the reason they didn't resign Compton was because of money.

2. If Kyle is in love with someone, he will over pay to get them. He has clearly demonstrated that by now.
The oline was not addressed because Ford's contract. We spent more on pass rush than oline and the pass rush is half on the sideline
I just find it interesting(And scary) that Kyle has all this faith in Banks replacing Laken, That he is not even giving him a safety net but yet had no faith in him at all last season. Was he just giving Banks the Trey Lance treatment, Where from the beginning he decides he is just going to sit him a year?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
The oline was not addressed because Ford's contract. We spent more on pass rush than oline and the pass rush is half on the sideline

There were some pretty cheap players available including Compton. I don't think Fords contract stoped the team from signing anyone.

Who do you think Kyle wanted but could not have?
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I just find it interesting(And scary) that Kyle has all this faith in Banks replacing Laken, That he is not even giving him a safety net but yet had no faith in him at all last season. Was he just giving Banks the Trey Lance treatment, Where from the beginning he decides he is just going to sit him a year?

I think that's what it was to be honest. Shanny pretty much always good with experience. I know people want to think he was terrible in preseason but he wasn't at all had some great blocks in the Chiefs game. He got hurt and fell behind in camp and Brunskill has always played pretty well so he stuck with him instead.

I mean he went with Josh Norman and Dre Kirkpatrick (before being cut) instead of Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir. People were screaming in here about how terrible Ambry Thomas was because when he finally did play he took a while to shake off the rust. Then after a couple games he was everyone's favorite player.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 26, 2022 at 11:02 PM ]

I think his safety net is McKivitz, Skule, and Moore. I think he believes an above average lineman that has no mental mistakes is better than a more skilled lineman who doesn't know his system. Case in point, they could have kept Trent Brown as a "safety net" for Mcglinchey his rookie year, but were confident that they could run with Person, Gilliam, and Magnuson on the right side if he didn't work out. Thanks God he did!
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I think that's what it was to be honest. Shanny pretty much always good with experience. I know people want to think he was terrible in preseason but he wasn't at all had some great blocks in the Chiefs game. He got hurt and fell behind in camp and Brunskill has always played pretty well so he stuck with him instead.

I mean he went with Josh Norman and Dre Kirkpatrick (before being cut) instead of Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir. People were screaming in here about how terrible Ambry Thomas was because when he finally did play he took a while to shake off the rust. Then after a couple games he was everyone's favorite player.

Agreed, I think it is even more pronounced on offense because of how complex Kyle's system is, and the fact that it only takes 1 missed block to change a run play from a TD to a loss of yardage.
Nice write up, Deebo doesn't really fit, but he can just be the exception that proves the rule.

Many have said how difficult Kyle's offense is, even Matt Ryan needed a year, it makes sense that he doesn't trust rookies.

Great post there. Hopefully we will find out soon
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Agreed, I think it is even more pronounced on offense because of how complex Kyle's system is, and the fact that it only takes 1 missed block to change a run play from a TD to a loss of yardage.

This is what scares me now. They missed the 24 hour boat to add veteran OL and now we're banking on more rookies to shore up the OL? Fans have no idea what is asked of these OL. This isn't just a zone blocking scheme here. From Mack setting the pass protection sets to every type of running play out there and the amount that is asked of them (#1 in rushing attempts) and needing to be in tip top shape, the jump from college to Kyle's offense is no joke. This is why Kyle prefers veterans esp. ones that know his system even if they aren't talented. You look at that grand list of OL over the years and only a handful are talented and several of them were holdovers.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2022 at 7:28 AM ]
Makes sense and it seems they were confident in the young O-line guys. I think if they were spending money anywhere, it would've been defense and backup TE if they had it.
Maybe. Just Maybe.

I know i'm going out on a limb here

but they like who they have on the roster including Aaron Banks
[ Edited by LundyLove on Mar 27, 2022 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Nice write up, Deebo doesn't really fit, but he can just be the exception that proves the rule.

Many have said how difficult Kyle's offense is, even Matt Ryan needed a year, it makes sense that he doesn't trust rookies.

Yeah, I already said he was the exception mainly because he replaced Pettis, who was in the doghouse, kind of like Sherfield and Aiyuk this year. The problem was, unlike Aiyuk, Pettis didn't rise up, so they had to scramble and trade for Sanders. Then they spent the rest of the season catching both of them up and ended where Kyle only used 3 WRs in the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone