LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 168 users in the forums

A Possible Reason for not Addressing the OLine. (The Offensive Redshirt Strategy)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The offensive line was and is substantially better than people think it is. Thats why.

/thread

LOL. Yet 99.9% of fans/local media want to address the OL high in the draft. We'll see how you feel about this unit after a year with Trey behind it.

Virtually Every mock draft out there has them going defense with first 2 picks

If....... Kyle won't trust rookies to start early then you might as well take big swings at the talented projects in the later rounds rather that the pro ready guys earlier. I wonder how much Ryans would trust a rookie with Tartt's role last season?
The offensive line was and is substantially better than people think it is. Thats why.

/thread

LOL. Yet 99.9% of fans/local media want to address the OL high in the draft. We'll see how you feel about this unit after a year with Trey behind it.

Like I said before in previous posts. SWH and NC are both right.

Our offensive line was better than people give it credit for but it still behooves us to make it a primary focus come draft time. We were top 5 per pff mainly due to our run blocking.

But when you look around the league we're clearly better as a pass blocking unit then at least half of the league. If TW goes down we're probably bottom 5-10. That's just the reality of the NFL right now. Quality offensive lineman are becoming rarer and rarer while quality defensive lineman are becoming more and more common.

I'm still debating internally whether or not having a bright offensive mind in KS makes OL more or less important.

On one hand I think he can still have success with a subar offensive line but if we managed to have a top 5 pass blocking line I think we would be unstoppable.

Im pro investing in our OL but please look around the league before assuming we're worse than anyone else.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

/thread

Our offensive line was better than people give it credit for but it still behooves us to make it a primary focus come draft time. We were top 5 per pff mainly due to our run blocking.

But when you look around the league we're clearly better as a pass blocking unit then at least half of the league. If TW goes down we're probably bottom 5-10. That's just the reality of the NFL right now. Quality offensive lineman are becoming rarer and rarer while quality defensive lineman are becoming more and more common.

I'm still debating internally whether or not having a bright offensive mind in KS makes OL more or less important.

On one hand I think he can still have success with a subar offensive line but if we managed to have a top 5 pass blocking line I think we would be unstoppable.

Im pro investing in our OL but please look around the league before assuming we're worse than anyone else.

Well said

You can be a top 10 OL in the league and still not be objectively any good at pass blocking. It's a giant curve in the NFL these days. QB play also factors in a lot.

Lot of fans on here just don't objectively watch other teams very much. It's clear as day.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree with you Paso. Also the Jimmy shoulder operation really put a damper on their ability to sign OLine free agents. So I don't think it was totally their choice to forego getting a top flight free agent OLineman. Had Jimmy's contract not been there, I think they could have gotten some good free agent OLinemen.

Having said that, I think they have confidence in the draft being deep in OLinemen. They have had a good history of getting day three gems, and that speaks to me of having an excellent scouting eye with regards to the draft. Maybe, they feel like they can get some good OLine options in the draft. They have (for now - barring a trade for Jimmy) about 9 picks. I don't know if they will get a compensatory pick for losing Laken, but if they somehow use the compensatory pick rule to get more future draft picks, that's also another positive in my book for the future.

With our skill/ luck of drafting in magic Rd 5, i might be okay with trading 2 7ths + our 6th for another 5th, and then with our 3 rd 5 picks taking all OLs. If we do that, odds are good that we end up with 2 starter OLs.

or…go thru draft and then have JL draft us the equivalent of UDFA Mostert, except get an equivalently good OL instead of RB.

Either of those choices may be flights of fancy, but our guys (F.O) have done it before. Time for another End of draft/ UDFA starter OLs "murkle".
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree with you Paso. Also the Jimmy shoulder operation really put a damper on their ability to sign OLine free agents. So I don't think it was totally their choice to forego getting a top flight free agent OLineman. Had Jimmy's contract not been there, I think they could have gotten some good free agent OLinemen.

Having said that, I think they have confidence in the draft being deep in OLinemen. They have had a good history of getting day three gems, and that speaks to me of having an excellent scouting eye with regards to the draft. Maybe, they feel like they can get some good OLine options in the draft. They have (for now - barring a trade for Jimmy) about 9 picks. I don't know if they will get a compensatory pick for losing Laken, but if they somehow use the compensatory pick rule to get more future draft picks, that's also another positive in my book for the future.

With our skill/ luck of drafting in magic Rd 5, i might be okay with trading 2 7ths + our 6th for another 5th, and then with our 3 rd 5 picks taking all OLs. If we do that, odds are good that we end up with 2 starter OLs.

or…go thru draft and then have JL draft us the equivalent of UDFA Mostert, except get an equivalently good OL instead of RB.

Either of those choices may be flights of fancy, but our guys (F.O) have done it before. Time for another End of draft/ UDFA starter OLs "murkle".

It is really interesting that they have a much higher hit rate in the later rounds.

Tin foil hat time, is that because ShannaLynch defer to Peter's and the scouting department?

/thread

This

/thread

They should always been adding players to the OL regardless of how good it is....draft/develop add a starter when you need too etc. I would have liked one signing in FA for a proven vet because we lost Tomlinson and I think Banks is Garnett 2.0

I also believe overall Kyle and most NFL minds value OT/C much much more than OG. If you're investing in a top 50 pick at guard (or top $) they better be studs and day 1 starters. Not red shirt rookies who couldn't beat out a UDFA below avg RG. I hope I'm wrong on Banks, I just see Joshua Garnett 2.0 (less of a mauler).

IMO they gotta invest in the center position. Go get a kid that can groom behind Mack for a yr and challenge Brunskill for playing time. IMO someone like Dylan Parham/Jurgerns/Ingram or possibly Stange fit that mold on day 2. Day 3 you got West/Lindstrom too. Man I'd love me some Zion Johnson sadly that would require a trade.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I also believe overall Kyle and most NFL minds value OT/C much much more than OG. If you're investing in a top 50 pick at guard (or top $) they better be studs and day 1 starters. Not red shirt rookies who couldn't beat out a UDFA below avg RG. I hope I'm wrong on Banks, I just see Joshua Garnett 2.0 (less of a mauler).

IMO they gotta invest in the center position. Go get a kid that can groom behind Mack for a yr and challenge Brunskill for playing time. IMO someone like Dylan Parham/Jurgerns/Ingram or possibly Stange fit that mold on day 2. Day 3 you got West/Lindstrom too. Man I'd love me some Zion Johnson sadly that would require a trade.

Agreed but these dudes not gonna make to day 3.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think you're on to something, I'd also add it's widely recognised now that Oline players are not well coached in college and take longer now than ever to reach an acceptable NFL level.

I think the redshirt year is probably very beneficial for them to get their feet under them amd learn blocking techniques before getting thrown into the fire.

I'll have to pass on the college stuff, but agree that it takes time for rookie OLInemen in the zone blocking system to get up to speed. Zone blocking is where the whole OLIne has to act as one, and that takes time, just from a reps point of view to get that unit cohesion. It takes *a LOT* of time and reps to get that actually. A year may be the bare minimum for the kind of offense Kyle runs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Injuries have been the (I think) main reason of a lot of the 49er losses in the playoffs, versus a lack of talent. By and large, the 49er front office has drafted well. Otherwise, they would have had to use the Ram's load up on free agency and blow the cap, way of building this team.

With regards to the OLine, historically that squad has been injured a lot. Richburg, McGlinchy, and I think sometime in 2017, the whole right side was rehabbing for a week or more, before getting back in the lineup. I hope they take into account the historical injuries this team has had at OLine, RB, DLine etc... and draft accordingly taking into account injuries that *are* going happen going into the 2022 season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:

It is really interesting that they have a much higher hit rate in the later rounds.

Tin foil hat time, is that because ShannaLynch defer to Peter's and the scouting department?

Personally, and this is just conjecture on my part, but if you have good coaching, and you have a guy willing to put in the work to get better (Jauan for example) even though he's raw, and didn't have a lot of accomplishments in college -- I think that is the way you find these 3rd day gems. In other words, a part of it is good scouting, but also a big part of is (I think) good coaching.

Kyle is a big film junkie. I think a big part of Kyle's drafting evolutionary experience is that the intangibles that a player needs to be a starting NFL player in the League can't be observed on Philm. I think Kyle and John (Agree Adam Peters has a big part in this as well) have been much better recently in zeroing in on those intangibles, like work ethic, like being a workout warrior - and have gotten away, to a certain extent from superbly physically talented individuals (Pettis, Solomon, Reuben) that don't have the well developed intangibles to make it in the NFL.

/thread

Local or national? As you always say, "Show me."

/thread

Local or national? As you always say, "Show me."

Both. All out there for you to see
Didn't you just say looking like ER first pick?
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 30, 2022 at 12:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone