LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 252 users in the forums

Who do you want starting against the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you want starting against the Rams?

Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Jimmy has never lost to the Rams.

Well not exactly. As an injured part of the team they lost both games in 2018.

You could argue that the last game in 2017 was after they fielded not many of their stars for the bulk of the game.

He also did not play in the win against them in the second half of the season 2020.

The Pats beat them when he was the backup in 2016 but he did not take a snap so you can claim that.

Quarterbacks are not the team but just one part.

He is injured to the point of being a liability when it matters.

Would you stake your life on him being the starter in a win on Sunday?

Lol. Don't think too much.

Yeah. or drink too much.
The Kyle Shanahan Rule: "If you practice, you play."

Jimmy Garoppolo is practicing. Second straight day.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Giedi:

Agree. I'm excited to see how Trey does against a playoff defense. Good bad or mediocre, it's going to reveal who we have for next year as QB1. Win or lose this game, next year is going to be a different team with Trey as QB1. Might as well see who we need to draft to make him the best QB he can be. Maybe some OLine picks as well as a burner type WR, are obvious things for ShanaLynch to look at in the offseason.
We have a damn good young QB and a damn good young coach. That's two ingredients you need for a dynasty. So far it seems that Jimmy has been just healthy enough and just good enough for us to be mediocre and barely crawling into the playoffs. To me it doesn't matter if we get there or not. If Jimmy stinks it up and we lose, that will mean NOTHING was gained this season by letting him start and benching Trey. Just think of that. We would have wasted an entire season of Trey not developing for nothing at all. To top it all off, our starting QB is injured again, and we can't even get a bag of peanuts for him.

Let Trey cook. If he burns the rice and the chicken is still raw, so be it.

Regarding QB injuries, to be fair, Trey also had a finger injury - just recently healed too. I suspect scheme, personnel, and probably some coaching points have contributed to that issue. I know the OLine has been overhauled, in a sense, with Trent Williams and Alex Mack, but the QB injuries are still occurring for *both* Trey and Jimmy. I wouldn't lay the blame of being injured solely on Jimmy, I think even BeatHard had injuries in this system when he was here. I think Kyle has to see (in the offseason) if he can tighten up the scheme and personnel and maybe see if he can minimize the risks to his QB in this scheme. Specially when he now has a QB that - potentially - his entire offense will rest solely on the health of Trey's arm.

The performance against Houston (at least in the 2nd half) was pretty amazing that's why I'd like to see what he can do against the Rams defense. If Mullens can beat the Rams, why not try Trey in there.

I think Trey is developing nicely and the year has not been wasted. He got to see a professional QB veteran go about his work the way Jimmy has (a la Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes). The other QB's, Trevor, Zack, Mac and Fields, don't have the luxury of absorbing those lessons without the pressure - and don't have the kind of professional that Jimmy is as a mentor - in going about his business, so even if it's a loss against the Rams, we are looking at a possible playoff team for the rest of Trey's career if ShanaLynch continues to hit their Day three picks and have decent success in free agency. Yeah, you might call it a dynasty if a couple of super bowls come out of Trey's career.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol what do the games we lost to the Rams while Jimmy wasn't playing have ANYTHING to do with this situation? Im talking about Jimmy having a track record of beating the Rams. Everything else is neither here nor there.

Are you really saying the team won in those 4 games because JG started?

On that premise they could trade for Mullens since Jimmy is hurt.
We should start Sudfield, hes never lost to the Rams when he starts this season.
I'm happy to see the wide discrepancy in favor of the Future! I've always been a 'try not to hate Jimmy as he can be good at times', but THAT loss to Tennessee did it for me!!!! We're talking threshold!!! I cannot stand what he did (or didn't do)!! The two INTs were the result of horrible passes (not just 'everyone makes a mistake now and then') and instrumental in terms of pints it lack thereof fit both teams. But the miss to Juice on that wide open TD I just will never forgive and forget!!! What a dolt!! Juice couldn't even make the catch because the throw was so bad. The two INTs and safety against Seattle also looms! However superficial and masochistic, I just cannot stand Garoppolo as the starter (the miss to Sanders, anyone? Was it THAT difficult a throw?). Some on Twitter even suggested there's something wrong with his brain regarding that first INT against the Titans. The defender was in front of and blanketing Kittle, and was looking at Jimmy and he threw a straight trajectory right to him!!! We were inside their ten yd line, with momentum and up 7-0. GD him!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by Spartan on Jan 7, 2022 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
Some other pro/cons:

Starting TL gives us more to talk about in the offseason
Starting JG could increase his trade value if he's able to win and get us to the playoffs
If TL starts and loses, the fan base may end the season with a bad taste and blaming him (even if not his fault)

Best case scenario happened.
Share 49ersWebzone