There are 248 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at DETROIT LIONS - 2021 Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at DETROIT LIONS - 2021 Game 1

• thl408
Originally posted by DanV49:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
You mean this one

Ford did a similar thing on the Greenlaw pick6.

MVP
Originally posted by thl408:
You mean this one

So much for all the talk about blitzing more

Originally posted by NYniner85:
You mean this one

To be fair, they didn't really need to blitz. haha
  • thl408
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
You mean this one

It was one game. Let's see if the defensive gameplans change week to week.
The 5 teams with the lowest blitz rate ... all won.
You mean this one

True lol.
Their fan base puts a little perspective with ours in here, they're arguing this wasn't on Sewell…this rep was on the QB.

I mean they can't be serious

Reminded me a bit Of the" Cowboy" when he took the Saints tackle all the way onto Brees's Lap.

You mean this one

Love that play.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
I haven't watched the game again since it aired, but idk. what I saw Greenlaw (before he got hurt) and Warner were all over the field, even Al-Shaair, who I've never been very high on made some big plays. The team needs to get better at stopping the run, the way Detroit's RBs carved us up early was unacceptable. Niners need Kinlaw back

Yeah from what I saw (only watched once and clips on Twitter) they weren't really filling in those gaps. With our W9/one gap get upfield defense, we need those LBers to be able to hit those gaps, which wasn't really happening. That's why a dude like Kin is so important…he's got the size/length/athleticism to make things easier for the LBers.

We will see just week 1, I expect things to be a little sloppy.

• thl408

When it comes to the LBs playing shaky run defense, I think those were mental mistakes and is correctable in one week. The DTs getting moved 2 yards out of the their gap is more of an ability issue and they need to shore that up. Street and Kerr are big boys, they need to hunker down and hold their ground.

Usually (not always) teams that blitz a lot do so because that's the only way they can generate pressure. Teams with good tackles and DEs don't need to a lot. Saving the blitz for crucial moments in big games is more effective because the other team isn't expecting it. If your team does it all the time, teams can compensate by planning ahead and keeping a back or TE in to pick it up.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Usually (not always) teams that blitz a lot do so because that's the only way they can generate pressure. Teams with good tackles and DEs don't need to a lot. Saving the blitz for crucial moments in big games is more effective because the other team isn't expecting it. If your team does it all the time, teams can compensate by planning ahead and keeping a back or TE in to pick it up.

I am hoping and I do think that Demeco will use the blitz as a gameplan specific tactic. Goff is not a QB that can create off script once his initial reads are taken away so the strategy versus Goff may have been to play coverage and matchup against the underwhelming DET WRs, force Goff to hold the ball longer than he wants, allow the front 4 to rush him.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Could not f**king buy a holding call. I understand you can't call it every time, and holding happens a lot for every team in every game, but f**k if it wasn't out in the open and clear as day on a lot of these plays

At some point someone on the team should address it to the media and take the fine. It's getting old. What's the point of putting together a great DL if they're gonna get held every play and not get called.

Exactly! His jersey was torn....then a few plays later a piece actually ripped off! Are you kidding me?! This is why it's getting a LOT more important to get good cbs bc the league is certainly not calling holding calls like they used to
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Could not f**king buy a holding call. I understand you can't call it every time, and holding happens a lot for every team in every game, but f**k if it wasn't out in the open and clear as day on a lot of these plays

At some point someone on the team should address it to the media and take the fine. It's getting old. What's the point of putting together a great DL if they're gonna get held every play and not get called.

Exactly! His jersey was torn....then a few plays later a piece actually ripped off! Are you kidding me?! This is why it's getting a LOT more important to get good cbs bc the league is certainly not calling holding calls like they used to

But CBs can't even sneeze on a receiver without getting called for a penalty. Tough to invest in a position that is handcuffed by the rules
  • jcs
  • Veteran
You mean this one

True lol.

Maybe we should have blitzed more considering how poorly Goff has been against it over his entire career. Especially when the comeback was mounting?
Share 49ersWebzone