LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 184 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at DETROIT LIONS - 2021 Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at DETROIT LIONS - 2021 Game 1

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Love that our draft disappointments are filled in with happy surprises of later round draft picks.

They should just stop drafting in Rounds 1-4, accumulate as many 5th rounders as possible.

They know how to find the talented players that have a giant chip on their shoulder that's for damn sure
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Love that our draft disappointments are filled in with happy surprises of later round draft picks.

They should just stop drafting in Rounds 1-4, accumulate as many 5th rounders as possible.

This comment is becoming less and less of a joke as time goes on. Their risk/reward calculus keeps hitting a freaky sweet spot later in the draft. Hard to pass it off as coincidence anymore. Some person, group, model or approach certainly seems to be working incredibly well.
Jeff Okudah also ruptured his achilles. It's gotta be that s**tty ass turf. f**k Detroit
Ryan Fitzpatrick is out for about 3 weeks so one team is already going to their backup. Jerry Jeudy has a high ankle sprain and we know how those can linger. It knocked Jimmy out for the year. Jeudy might be hampered all season. Just 2 of many injuries that occurred yesterday.
  • scuzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:
Just rewatched the game. TBPH it wasn't even close. I get they ended up being a thriller, but the truth is the only reason Detroit even had a chance was because of a few bad bounces on our part (Kittle onside kick, Deebo fumble, etc). Niners had full control til the end, and it seems like from listening to most NFL pundits this morning no one is making any noise regarding "oh my god what is happening to the 49ers?!"

Hopefully it is a lesson learned that you don't pull starters and take the foot of the gas (ahem ahem the fans asking for Trey to come in 3rd quarter for reps) and DONT PLAY PREVENT DEFENSE. Prevent defense prevents wins.

They only went to play prevent when we were 41-17 after the verrett injury. I understand fans dont like prevent but it has its purpose. Prevent large fast over the top td and allow the middle of the field to tackle them inbounds so that the other team is chewing up the clock. We had a few flukes that should of sealed the game. It was a bad sequence of events but the coach didnt want any more injuries so the starters were pulled. Its only game 1 of a long 17 game season why risk another major injury to your studs? Like what if we lost bosa again or werner and etc? The only oeople upset about this game are usually cause they bet/fantasy on the team and it didnt cover for them. A W is a W and the end of the season the standing only care about the W/L column. God knows if we lost one of those guys we would have fans asking why did they keep them in with game already out of reach. Damn if you do damn if you dont.
[ Edited by scuzy on Sep 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by scuzy:
Just rewatched the game. TBPH it wasn't even close. I get they ended up being a thriller, but the truth is the only reason Detroit even had a chance was because of a few bad bounces on our part (Kittle onside kick, Deebo fumble, etc). Niners had full control til the end, and it seems like from listening to most NFL pundits this morning no one is making any noise regarding "oh my god what is happening to the 49ers?!"

Hopefully it is a lesson learned that you don't pull starters and take the foot of the gas (ahem ahem the fans asking for Trey to come in 3rd quarter for reps) and DONT PLAY PREVENT DEFENSE. Prevent defense prevents wins.

They only went to play prevent when we were 41-17 after the verrett injury. I understand fans dont like prevent but it has its purpose. Prevent large fast over the top td and allow the middle of the field to tackle them inbounds so that the other team is chewing up the clock. We had a few flukes that should of sealed the game. It was a bad sequence of events but the coach didnt want any more injuries so the starters were pulled. Its only game 1 of a long 17 game season why risk another major injury to your studs? Like what if we lost bosa again or werner and etc? The only oeople upset about this game are usually cause they bet/fantasy on the team and it didnt cover for them. A W is a W and the end of the season the standing only care about the W/L column. God knows if we lost one of those guys we would have fans asking why did they keep them in with game already out of reach. Damn if you do damn if you dont.

Correct. Also. The second team should have been able to hold a 28 point lead against Jared Goff. That in itself was embarrassing.
Is the 49ers defensive co-ordinator any good? After the first game, nothing to feel great about. It's just one game, so time will tell.
Originally posted by NCommand:

But..but..…pizzas and cheeseburgers
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Is the 49ers defensive co-ordinator any good? After the first game, nothing to feel great about. It's just one game, so time will tell.

We gave up a ton during garbage time, had a few real bad breaks (Verrett injury, Kittle muffed kick recovery, Deebo fumbling after Jimmy got us the first down), aside from the run defense which allowed them to move the ball, I think Ryan's did ok first game.

people need to chill
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by scuzy:

Correct. Also. The second team should have been able to hold a 28 point lead against Jared Goff. That in itself was embarrassing.

They were pushed all over the field like pansies. I was there.

Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Positives:
  • Jimmy looked good and the rotation with Lance doesn't appear to be a hinderance
  • Running game remains lethal, regardless of who's actually running
  • Mitchell may end up being our RB1 for awhile, which I would not have guessed
  • Deebo looks great, Kittle too (but don't use your head to secure an on-sides kick )
  • Pass rush was pretty good, but honestly I thought it was going to be better
  • LB corp looks lethal!
  • O-line looked very solid

Negatives:
  • CB depth, which was already thin is now very concerning
  • Thomas & Lenoir both struggled and we're going to need at least one of them to shine
  • Ward and Tartt actually didn't look very good, hopefully we can see a rebound from them
  • Aiyuk & Sermon - I don't know what's going on there, hopefully they feel a fire under their @sses
  • Lance rushing, just surprising more than disappointing. I'm sure those will open up

Overall:
  • The NFC West is devastating. All four teams look like top-10 teams.
  • Our offense looks very solid, our defense appears to be taking a step back
  • With the lack of talent at CB, we should expect to see higher scoring games
  • There are a few teams that may be looking for a QB - specifically WAS. Could be interesting over the next few weeks.

you think we can get a first back for Lance?

The Question is would this management take a 1st in 2022 for Jimmy G ?

We're not trading any QB this year.

This is correct. No chance during the season. Tell WFT that Josh Rosen is available.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by 49ersking:

We gave up a ton during garbage time, had a few real bad breaks (Verrett injury, Kittle muffed kick recovery, Deebo fumbling after Jimmy got us the first down), aside from the run defense which allowed them to move the ball, I think Ryan's did ok first game.

people need to chill

yeah it was 41-17 at the 2 minute warning.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
LB play was putrid (and that includes Warner).
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Koldo:

Ummm no
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Koldo:

Ummm no

+1

Dre looked good, had a pick 6. Al Shaair was actually decent. Issues with the run game up the middle had more to do with the gaps the DLine were giving up than the play of the back half of the front 7.
Share 49ersWebzone