There are 274 users in the forums

Feeling quietly confident about the upcoming season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
without the obvious questions of health about some of the star players, i'd say the loss of Saleh and the affect it has on the defense is the biggest question mark going into 2021.
Originally posted by boast:
without the obvious questions of health about some of the star players, i'd say the loss of Saleh and the affect it has on the defense is the biggest question mark going into 2021.

I agree and that's why I mentioned it in my previous post. With all the talk about which QB we would take and who we were signing, Ryans kind of got forgotten about. Like you said, it may not be that Ryans isn't up to the job but Saleh was well liked and a real rah-rah type guy.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
SB team IF HEALTHY nuff said, nothing more or less

They certainly should be in the mix. Even if healthy they have to perform well and get some breaks. Every team that makes it to the SB has a couple games a year where they got the right call at the right time. Sometimes you get lucky and face a team when they're down or have a key injury. All these things are factors in winning. We also have to keep in mind that we have a new DC. I don't expect any drastic changes but we still have to see how he works out. Being an assistant isn't the same as being the DC.

Defensive wise I think we'll be more aggressive but at the end of the day it'll depend on the pass rush on how healthy Bosa is and if damn Ford can contribute as well if Kinlaw makes a leap to help out the secondary.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Really comes down to health. Just hard to fathom.tnis team even having average health for a season let alone being lucky enough to avoid major injuries altogether. If we find a way to do that we"ll.be one of the top teams.

Hopefully Bosa comes back strong and Ebukam or whoever can provide some support rush. Our D wasnt as good as the stats said it was last year imo. New DC so we'll see how that goes.
I think it all depends on the pass rush.. hopefully Boss can be back to full strength. Who knows if D-ford will ever see the field again. Kinlaw needs to take the next step to dominance. The FA pick up from the rams could offer some push.. As long as the d-line can be a dominant force we can compete. The secondary isn't strong enough to hold up, so we'll see..
It's hopeless to predict. More often than not, the scenario doesn't follow script. But its fun to try and compare notes later.

SB is pretty much out of the question IMO. We're building for the future.

The 2019 team developed a team chemistry which is underrated. What will this teams chemistry be like. The team has lost important leaders like Buckner, Sherman and Alexander (a motivator even if not always there; glad he's been replaced). The QB is a lame duck. Let's see how the new leadership (Kittle, Warner) asserts itself and elevates the team. Chemistry is vital. Winning often and early will help, so it's important to come out of the gate fast.

The defense is questionable. No Buckner is big. Bosa back from knee surgery that usually takes the player a 2nd year to get back to full strength. One cannot assume that "he's back". Dee Ford questionable. You have to assume a downgrade at DC. Defensive backfield depth is thin and questionable.

The offense is a question mark also. IMO it hinges on if, and how quickly, Lance can develop. If Lance comes in and blows it up, all bets are off. But it's realistically too much to expect. I don't think that JG is "the guy". Despite what Shanahan says out loud, I don't believe that the coach believes he is either. If the 49ers have to rely on JG all the way, It'll be tough to get to the playoffs. The other teams in the division are no pushover.

10 win season would be good. Anything more would be great.
A good problem to have: i could see this team talented enough to win it all...if somehow JG is the future Super Bowl MVP do you still get rid of him for Trey's développement?
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
A good problem to have: i could see this team talented enough to win it all...if somehow JG is the future Super Bowl MVP do you still get rid of him for Trey's développement?

We have 25 million reasons to do so. Bosa and Warner need that money, and others as well. If Jimmy wants to take back up money and eventually be replaced by Trey, I'm all for keeping him. But he doesn't want to be a back up, nor does he want to be paid like one. So regardless of how well he does, if Trey is ready to go next year, we'll wish him the best and send him on his way.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
It's hopeless to predict. More often than not, the scenario doesn't follow script. But its fun to try and compare notes later.

SB is pretty much out of the question IMO. We're building for the future.

The 2019 team developed a team chemistry which is underrated. What will this teams chemistry be like. The team has lost important leaders like Buckner, Sherman and Alexander (a motivator even if not always there; glad he's been replaced). The QB is a lame duck. Let's see how the new leadership (Kittle, Warner) asserts itself and elevates the team. Chemistry is vital. Winning often and early will help, so it's important to come out of the gate fast.

The defense is questionable. No Buckner is big. Bosa back from knee surgery that usually takes the player a 2nd year to get back to full strength. One cannot assume that "he's back". Dee Ford questionable. You have to assume a downgrade at DC. Defensive backfield depth is thin and questionable.

The offense is a question mark also. IMO it hinges on if, and how quickly, Lance can develop. If Lance comes in and blows it up, all bets are off. But it's realistically too much to expect. I don't think that JG is "the guy". Despite what Shanahan says out loud, I don't believe that the coach believes he is either. If the 49ers have to rely on JG all the way, It'll be tough to get to the playoffs. The other teams in the division are no pushover.

10 win season would be good. Anything more would be great.

Whatever Jimmy's flaws, he's still a good leader. If he's healthy the team will compete this year. Likewise if he's not but Trey learns much faster than any reasonable expectation.

I think DCs in general are overrated, much like an NBA HC is. Have talent on defense and they will be good regardless of the coordinator.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I think DCs in general are overrated, much like an NBA HC is. Have talent on defense and they will be good regardless of the coordinator.

I tend to agree with this
Originally posted by elguapo:
If the niners don't have another biblical wave of injuries I'm sure an NFCCG appearance is easily a possibility.

The revenge of the revenge tour
We have a pretty easy schedule to go up against, could go 3-3 in division and still end up at 12-5. Also should have a nice bounce from returning vets, added FA's and even the rookie class could have some contributions. I think we can look at this team as a playoff caliber team with a real shot at the Super Bowl
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree and that's why I mentioned it in my previous post. With all the talk about which QB we would take and who we were signing, Ryans kind of got forgotten about. Like you said, it may not be that Ryans isn't up to the job but Saleh was well liked and a real rah-rah type guy.

Much as i liked Saleh, the man, and admired him, i never felt good about him calling the D. He was a great LB coach and had an eye for LB talent. But Demeco is an in- house promotion and he knows what kyle wants. Maybe not at first but by games 4 or 6, i hope for a better coached D than we have had last 3 yrs. Of course, EVERYTHING is based on good health. Man i would love to know how Nick B feels about his health this yr.

i liked list (Posted previous page) of the game by game list of opponents this yr and their outcome. It could go down exactly like that. We WILL have an OL that actually protects our main man, JG, this yr (or Trey). That alone is reason for hope. Also aside from one draft pick and none in FA picks, we acquired healthy players which is a huge improvement from where we came.

With our zone blocking scheme, we have overnite added a man/power scheme, and that means running towards the goal line instead of parallel to it. And now we have the horses in the OL and backfield to pull it off. 11-14 Ws seems very doable. No way to calculate just how valuable Mack, Banks, and Moore will be, but my guess is they make a massive difference. Trent is Trent...all pro. Moore may push Laken. And McG with no swinging door to his left will play way better because of Banks. I can't wait for season to start. Oh, plus Kyle's playbook just doubled in size.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 6, 2021 at 2:17 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dude they upgrade the training staff and equipment?
Share 49ersWebzone