LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Feeling quietly confident about the upcoming season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The schedule looks soft this year, but as always, our division is really tough. And you can't really definitively say anything with our recent injury luck. I think we will be a good team if we have some above average injury luck for once.
Originally posted by Vancouver49er:
Shanalynch obviously know more then we do. The fact they are willing to trade away 2 first round picks to move up and get Trey Lance tells me that they don't think they will be drafting in the top 10 for the next couple of seasons. They think they are drafting in the high twenties. What is the point of holding on to those first round picks when you are never ever going to get the guy that you want with a 28th pick in the first round or worse? They are thinking these picks they traded away are so deep into the first round that they might has well be second round picks. I like this level of confidence. They have reinforced the OLine and RB positions in particular and boosted pretty much all the positions on both sides of the ball. They have taken advantage of a free agent market that is down in price because of the lower cap and signed some good players there. These guys have a plan. Its subtle and yet well thought out. I like it. Some small things I didn't like was them letting Beathard move on. I thought he played better then Mullen, and for the love of god did not understand why Mullens kept starting after Jimmy went down.

If Trey Lance is as smart as they say he is, he will pick up Shanahan's system. halfway into the season. And if Jimmy goes down after that, lets see what he can do. The NFC West is tough this year, but Bosa's back. Good luck to their QBs. I would say our backup QB group this year is one of the strongest in the NFL, versus being a source of weakness last season. The schedule looks great this year. Our toughest opponents will be within our own division. Outside of our division, our toughest opponent is Green Bay, and we own them when healthy. Without AR, it might be a lot easier to beat them. I don't see the Lions, Jags, Titans, Houston, and the Bengals giving us any troubles. I bet ShanaLynch is thinking the same. We go 500 in our own division and win against those other teams that we should, its 10 plus wins, and it will make our first round picks nothing special to shout about. That makes the trade up to 3 worth it.

Yeah but there's more to it than picking up the offense. It'll be tough for him, as much as any rookie, but also because he has played almost none in an entire year. I think it will take a little bit longer than you'd expect for him to be ready.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we can go 12-5, no problem. We have the whole team coming back and a healthy Jimmy G returning. I can see us winning the NFC West and being the #1 or #2 seed in the Conference. Sky is the limit this year and the coming years.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 5, 2021 at 11:27 PM ]
Agree with OP

NFC West:
-Seachickens: Willow wanted out, only had 3 draft picks, oline is still trash, defense is still trash (witherspoon is starting CB LMFAO). There is no way they will do as well as last year (still ended last year horribly losing to broken thumb Goff and almost losing to our third string QB). They are also due for some major injuries since they have been healthiest team in division just by odds alone. Willow will demand trade by end of year.
-Cards: Murray is too small and overall a poor passer (run first QB). His body isn't going to hold for 17 game season (got injured last play against our team on just a regular tackle/sack). He has worst coach in division. team will miss playoffs again, coach kliff gets fired.
-Rams: Staff is worse than Goff. Strangely ppl are obsessed with him when he has proven to be a loser for so long in Detroit even with one of the best WRs of all time for most of his career. Him losing every Thanksgiving was pretty much a given. He also has a lot of mileage on his body and will definitely miss 3-5 games due to various injuries. Not a mobile QB, makes him the easiest matchup in division.

Rest of schedule isn't bad given we finished in last place.
-GB will have new QB
-Minny still has Kirk (overrated nonmobile QB that will get sacked 5+ times)
-Houston: David Mills...probably easiest game on schedule
-Colts: We'll see how Carson looks...could be a challenge but should win
-Falcons: Matty Ice...another immobile QB we should wreck (I don't care if they have Pitts, matty will be on his back most of the game)
-Bears: Nagy is trash, Fields will make enough mistakes for us to capitalize
-Lions: Goff-our fav QB to destroy
-Jags: Worst team in football...still going to be trash with Mr. I don't really care about football (but supposed to be a generational talent)
-Titans: Tanny is going to begin is decline once and for all this year
-Eagles: Hurt isn't good enough at passing.
-Bengals: Trash franchise, could easily seen Burrow getting injured again (Can't believe they passed on Sewell)

11-14 wins. Got solid depth at QB (best in entire league now), RB (best depth in league by far), O-line, D-line, and secondary (esp if we get Sherm/Jefferson) to overcome a few injuries something we didn't have last year.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
The schedule looks soft this year, but as always, our division is really tough. And you can't really definitively say anything with our recent injury luck. I think we will be a good team if we have some above average injury luck for once.

I concur. We are just asking to be in the bottom half of teams injured instead of the usual top 3
Our DB's will get toasted this year. Lets hope we can have great ball possession this year and run people out of the stadium....
Watching this team religiously for the last 20 years, I've learned to go into a season with no expectations .

I mean, I did not expect s**t to get that bad last season with injuries, but with sports you just never know.

It's just better to not have those expectations, makes for less disappointment, but if they dominate it makes it that much more of a surprise.

I go into it as Any Given Sunday, or Monday, Thursday now lol.

But on that note, I can't wait for football and hope we can get back to our 2019 success.
  • zero
  • Veteran
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Rams: meh..we own them. A loser QB on the wrong side of 30 isn't going to help them close the gap. Stafford is alright, but some people treat him like he's Peyton Manning all a sudden

Seahawks: their team has been on the decline for years, yet they some how keep stumbling their way to 10/11 win seasons.

Cardinals: Kliff Kingsberry

As long as the 49ers don't get completely decimated with injuries again, they'll win the West by 2 or 3 games

Rams: may have upgraded enough to split the series with us.
Hawks: Will still be a thorn in our side - just match up well. possible split here as well.
Cards: not impressed with their offseason. although they do give us fits at their house.

will take quite a team performance and health to grab a playoff spot.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Our DB's will get toasted this year. Lets hope we can have great ball possession this year and run people out of the stadium....

Verrett and Kwaun are legit. Moseley is ok. Not a lot of depth if the rookies don't work out but far from bad.
This is mostly the same group of DB's that helped our defense have one of the best 3rd down defenses in the year last year, without the pass rush too.
[ Edited by walker807 on May 6, 2021 at 8:21 AM ]

I feel confident about next season as well. I'm a firm believer that most of our "bad luck" last season regarding injury wasn't just bad luck. It was the deep post season run coupled with the truncated training camp schedules that messed everyone's bodies up. We really didn't take off any games in 2019 due to trying to get optimal playoff positioning.

The team should be well-rested, healthy and fresh to start off the season. Hopefully, the NFL won't get too stupid and political and lock things down like last year when there's no proof that it helped anything. We need a full offseason program.
I feel good about this next season, we'll definitely have a shot to win it. But I don't think we're stronger than our 2019 SB team. The NFC West will be even stronger this year, and I'm not sure we can beat the Chiefs, Bills, or Ravens in a Super Bowl matchup.

Should be an interesting season though... Here are just questions I have before the season starts.:
  1. How will the QB situation present over the course of the season? --- Will Jimmy perform better or worse? Will he stay healthy? If Trey Lance comes in, how does he perform THIS season?
  2. At Wide Receiver, will the young WR Corps take a step forward? --- Will Deebo stay healthy? There's young, but unproven, talent after Deebo/Aiyuk. Will a third/slot WR emerge and be productive?
  3. How will our revamped offensive line look?
  4. How will Demeco Ryans fare as a rookie DC?
  5. How will our pass rush look? --- This is to be the strength of our defense. Will Bosa return to form? How much has Kinlaw improved? Will the Pass Rush By Committee, opposite of Bosa, find success?
  6. How will our secondary fare? --- Will Verrett continue to have success and be healthy? Outside of Verrett / Moseley / Williams, do we have enough secondary depth over the course of the season?
  7. Overall team health? --- I pointed out the WRs and Secondary, but will the overall team stay healthy?

If we have positive results for most of the above questions, I think we can be very successful. But there's a lot of questions. Looking forward to see how thing shake out.
This season as always is going to come down t health. This team is due for some good luck after the last year. Jimmy and Bosa are keys again. If Jimmy goes down early we'll have either Rosen who is new to the system to Lance who is new to everything. That doesn't mean Lance couldn't take over and do well but the odds are against it.

Bosa has to stay healthy too. If he can't perform up to his 2019 standards then the pass rush will suffer. I don't expect anything from Ford but he would be a welcome surprise. Without the pass rush our secondary could be exposed in a division with some really fast and big receivers.

So for me it's health, health and health.
SB team IF HEALTHY nuff said, nothing more or less
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
SB team IF HEALTHY nuff said, nothing more or less

They certainly should be in the mix. Even if healthy they have to perform well and get some breaks. Every team that makes it to the SB has a couple games a year where they got the right call at the right time. Sometimes you get lucky and face a team when they're down or have a key injury. All these things are factors in winning. We also have to keep in mind that we have a new DC. I don't expect any drastic changes but we still have to see how he works out. Being an assistant isn't the same as being the DC.
Share 49ersWebzone