LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 107 users in the forums

SS Talanoa Hufanga Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we're going to make a splash in the secondary, it may as well be L'Jarius Sneed. Justin Simmons seems redundant…
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
If we're going to make a splash in the secondary, it may as well be L'Jarius Sneed. Justin Simmons seems redundant…

We hit on one KC Db and I'm good with just that one.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I forgot which local media head I heard it from, but one of them suggested that Hufanga could be on the trading block because the team sees both Hufanga and Brown as strong safeties.

Then why draft Brown? We all knew they were similar players prior to drafting him. And this draft pick was before Huf's injury and he just came off an all-pro season. I don't believe these reports.

You know players get hurt and you need a backup to step in. Also Huff is a FA after next season, they might not be able to or want to pay him.

That is why

The thing is there really isn't a SS and FS anymore like it used to be. We saw Huff/Brown both play single high as well. Browns also had some nice plays in 1v1 coverage, where I think he's better than Huff. So I don't see why both can't start.

But ya, if we can get a good safety for a good price, it's definitely worth it especially since we don't know how Huf gonna return
This tells me that Staley and Sorenson want a guy who can cover ground. Huf and Brown just don't have the range.
Originally posted by lamontb:
This tells me that Staley and Sorenson want a guy who can cover ground. Huf and Brown just don't have the range.

This tells me the 49ers couldnt sign who they wanted, so now looking to make up for it elsewhere.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Yea I thought at one point we were applauding Huf's range. The way he can come up to the line and dip back at a moment's notice is pretty special. Sideline to sideline guy. He does have some coverage gaff's from time to time, but we all do.
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Yea I thought at one point we were applauding Huf's range. The way he can come up to the line and dip back at a moment's notice is pretty special. Sideline to sideline guy. He does have some coverage gaff's from time to time, but we all do.

Right. We just need viable depth that's an upgrade over Gip.

Brown seemed OK as a rookie. Gipson was very good overall, but is getting up there so they probably want to get younger and faster regardless.

I would think they simply want to have depth and some bodies to compete back there knowing Huff may not be back 100% right away etc. Even before he was injured he wasn't playing as well as he normally did imo, but that could have also been the scheme adjustments with Wilks. I fee like he was allowed more freedom under Demeco.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
The thing is there really isn't a SS and FS anymore like it used to be. We saw Huff/Brown both play single high as well. Browns also had some nice plays in 1v1 coverage, where I think he's better than Huff. So I don't see why both can't start.

But ya, if we can get a good safety for a good price, it's definitely worth it especially since we don't know how Huf gonna return

Agreed

Sell low.
Great strategy.
I would extend him and see how Brown does. We've seen secondary guys, both CB and S, suddenly absolutely suck after a promising first year.

Ambry, Colbert, Witherspoon.. Hopefully Brown isn't that guy. I'd force Brown to earn his spot. Let's not forget he got benched for Ryan in the playoffs until Ryan was moved to cover the nickel spot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would extend him and see how Brown does. We've seen secondary guys, both CB and S, suddenly absolutely suck after a promising first year.

Ambry, Colbert, Witherspoon.. Hopefully Brown isn't that guy. I'd force Brown to earn his spot. Let's not forget he got benched for Ryan in the playoffs until Ryan was moved to cover the nickel spot.

Ah yes, remember when I thought Colbert was going to be their elite safety …That lasted all of 5 games
  • bors
  • Veteran
Wonder if he could put a lil weight on and convert to lb/saftet combo. Brown at SS. Then Simmons at free safety

I know. This ain't madden
Originally posted by bors:
Wonder if he could put a lil weight on and convert to lb/saftet combo. Brown at SS. Then Simmons at free safety

I know. This ain't madden
I'd like to see Simmons signed period. Hope Hufanga returns back to normal.
Share 49ersWebzone