LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 124 users in the forums

SS Talanoa Hufanga Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
CAN we hire him as an Assistant Secondary Coach already ??
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I feel like Huff has a role on a defense, he's not an all around S that's not replaceable. His instincts and vibe were awesome, I think Brown will be just fine in the same role. Sucks for him and I hope he gets back to 100%

His greatest strength was the way he worked with Gibson. They just played off each other very well. Brown may have the athletic ability but will need to develop that chemistry with TG that Huf had.

The two will have the rest of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. They will get tested on Thursday night for sure.

Safeties that are easily replaceable do not get into the pro bowl and sure as s**t don't get first team all-pro. They also do not earn that honor when their biggest strength is chemistry with another player Everyone is so quick to dismiss Huffs value to the team and I don't understand why? I challenge you too watch the all-22 too see what your television screens do not show. Reminds me of how many of you thought that Jimmy Ward was some scrub that should and is easily replaced. Doesn't suprise me at all that his position/replacement is the weakest link on defense

I was watching After the Game that came on after the Queefs game which they mentioned what Hufanga does. They said he's like a Deebo of the defense in which he comes in on blitzes, holds a lot of LB responsibility and then drops to cover. He was moving around a lot so made sense. We may pick up better coverages but Wilks needs to be creative to cover the other things Huff does. Interesting take and I agree. The only problem with this statement is *Wilks getting creative*
[ Edited by bassmanr on Nov 20, 2023 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Eagles fans laughing at him getting injured apparently. What a bunch of f**king losers. Not shocking though

well, this opens up the window even more for them, the NFC is theirs to lose now
Huf need working out his legs and knee because they are thin..
Originally posted by 9moon:
CAN we hire him as an Assistant Secondary Coach already ??

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Ward and Huf are not comparable IMO.

Ward is a good player, but highly overrated on this forum, I hated his play style but it was effective, and I admit he's definitely underrated by the average NFL fan. Huf is on another level though... very good playmaker.

I haven't watched a lot of Texans games this year, but I'd guess Ward just looks like another guy next to an all-pro player like Pitre.

I actually feel like Huf is the more overrated of the two. It's easy to fall in love with his splash plays. However, there are more bad plays than those splash plays IMO.
Originally posted by krizay:
Ward and Huf are not comparable IMO.

Ward is a good player, but highly overrated on this forum, I hated his play style but it was effective, and I admit he's definitely underrated by the average NFL fan. Huf is on another level though... very good playmaker.

I haven't watched a lot of Texans games this year, but I'd guess Ward just looks like another guy next to an all-pro player like Pitre.

I actually feel like Huf is the more overrated of the two. It's easy to fall in love with his splash plays. However, there are more bad plays than those splash plays IMO.

Ward made a lot of bad plays as well though, especially early in his career where Huf has excelled. I just feel like it's easier to look consistent when you don't attack the football. Ward took wide angles to the football constantly. So yeah, he didn't miss tackles, but who cares when the TE or WR he's covering gets the first down?

The other thing that bothered me about Ward was that he wasn't the biggest hitter. He essentially tried to ankle tackle everybody which resulted in some players flipping over him, but Huf was the superior striker which coincidentally caused more fumbles.

Huf and Ward have the same amount of career interceptions in SF. Huf did that in roughly 2 seasons and Ward did that in 9 seasons. People can downplay the importance of those splash plays, but they're huge momentum swings.

I could understand liking Ward more if he was elite in coverage, but he never was. I think Ward was more overrated on this forum than Huf is, and it's not particularly close. Maybe Ward was more underrated by the average NFL fan, but still.
I love Hufanga and am bummed he is out for the year. But if we are going to keep it real, he has been really average so far this season.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I love Hufanga and am bummed he is out for the year. But if we are going to keep it real, he has been really average so far this season.

well he had the cyst, and my understanding is that would need repaired after the season, so he gets to be completely fixed up here
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

well he had the cyst, and my understanding is that would need repaired after the season, so he gets to be completely fixed up here

Yup, no excuses because he chose to play through it but that cyst can be a b***h on mobility. That's the only "good" thing about this is that he gets to do the surgery now for both.

SWH, what makes you say he was average? Lack of interceptions compared to last year? Cause he has 3 of those. Missed tackles? Check him with Fred Warner and Greenlaw. I'll ask you the same tho that I been asking in here, do you watch the all-22? That's the film that judges a DBs play on a down by down basis.

Now it's time to keep it real as asked, many of you do not subscribe to the All-22 footage so y'all have no clue what Huff been doing when he's not on your tv screens

I think it was partially that, the fact he missed time in training camp (I believe?) and the way Wilks was using him.

For a DB guru how do you not use Huf, one of the best blitzing safeties I've seen, around the line of scrimmage?!

I think it was partially that, the fact he missed time in training camp (I believe?) and the way Wilks was using him.

For a DB guru how do you not use Huf, one of the best blitzing safeties I've seen, around the line of scrimmage?!

I watched Huf closely, last year and this, it was night and day difference, he was hunting the ball every play last season, my suspicion all year is he's not right with the knee, and they informed us before the year, that it's an issue and he's electing to play on it, like a gladiator, so nothing but respect, and he'll come back stronger.. I just wonder the long term plan with Huf and Brown, ideally you would have a rangy centerfielder type, to pair with either Huf or Brown..
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Did he get his surgery? Haven't seen an update.
I miss his plays at or behind the LIS. Sacks, tackles for loss, fumbles and picks
Share 49ersWebzone