LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 119 users in the forums

SS Talanoa Hufanga Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
He may not have been playing as well as he did last season, but the big concern right now is depth. If Gipson or Brown get banged up and need a series or two off, it would have to be George Odum coming in right now - and that's scary. There's not much out there available in free agency, either. Landon Collins hasn't been healthy is 2 or 3 years. Eric Rowe was just in Pittsburg for a workout on Friday. Desmond King has played some safety - but we didn't bring him in to try out for slot, so must be a reason. Has Tartt even been seen since being released by the Eagles? Who knows what shape he's in?

gonna pop Tartt back in there

No f**king thanks.

I'd be cool with Tartt on the PS if he was actually in shape, but is he? And does he even want to play anymore? Dude has been on the couch all year. A free agent. Not even on a PS with a team. He was cut last year by Philly at the end of pre-season and never signed anywhere else since then.

I like to think that he was sent to the shadow realm after dropping that INT in the NFC Championship
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TopDogBerkeley:
This is your current DB room:
Charvarius Ward
Deommodore Lenoir
Tashaun Gibson
Ji'Ayir Brown
Ambry Thomas
George Odum
Isaiah Oliver
Shemar Jean-Charles
Darrell Luter

You've got an IR decision on Womack coming up and Taylor Hawkins is the only Safety on the Practice Squad.

Jason Verrett is gonna come in and put some damn respect back into that secondary.

He may not have been playing as well as he did last season, but the big concern right now is depth. If Gipson or Brown get banged up and need a series or two off, it would have to be George Odum coming in right now - and that's scary. There's not much out there available in free agency, either. Landon Collins hasn't been healthy is 2 or 3 years. Eric Rowe was just in Pittsburg for a workout on Friday. Desmond King has played some safety - but we didn't bring him in to try out for slot, so must be a reason. Has Tartt even been seen since being released by the Eagles? Who knows what shape he's in?

Like I said you hate to lose any starter but better a safety than a CB where we are really thin. Seven starting QBs are done for the season. Consider us lucky.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:

No f**king thanks.

I'd be cool with Tartt on the PS if he was actually in shape, but is he? And does he even want to play anymore? Dude has been on the couch all year. A free agent. Not even on a PS with a team. He was cut last year by Philly at the end of pre-season and never signed anywhere else since then.

So I was right that he had not been anywhere since the Eagles released him? I didn't remember hearing of him signing anywhere else, but wasn't exactly focused on him either. All I know is, if we don't think of something soon - they are going to bring back Dontae Johnson...again...
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Like I said you hate to lose any starter but better a safety than a CB where we are really thin. Seven starting QBs are done for the season. Consider us lucky.

It's a huge loss to lose Hufanga, but yeah, I agree. We'll miss his playmaking ability, but I think we can weather the storm.

I would say that the core of our defense is Bosa, the D-line as a whole, Fred Warner & Dre Greenlaw. So long as our pass rush is doing well, and our linebackers are flying all over the place, we don't necessarily our CB's and Safeties to be Deion Sanders and Ed Reed.

We just need Ji'Ayir Brown to be disciplined in his play assignments, and he should be fine.
I know PFF scores aren't a great stat to judge guys by but I take notice when someone is extremely high and extremely low.

can't believe hiff got a 29 last game. Lol he hasn't been the same player and i think it's thay knee cyst.

im huge on brown and I honestly think we are going to get a big boost at the position. He will be picked on early on but I expect him to get a lot of turnovers. He's a freakin turnover machine. I'm very excited for him.

id love him to pick off the Seahawks mihahaha

I didn't realize how difficult seattle stretch is. Lol 49ers, cowboys, 49ers, philly. I love jt
[ Edited by tankle104 on Nov 20, 2023 at 3:02 PM ]
Eagles fans laughing at him getting injured apparently. What a bunch of f**king losers. Not shocking though
Originally posted by tankle104:
I know PFF scores aren't a great stat to judge guys by but I take notice when someone is extremely high and extremely low.

can't believe hiff got a 29 last game. Lol he hasn't been the same player and i think it's thay knee cyst.

im huge on brown and I honestly think we are going to get a big boost at the position. He will be picked on early on but I expect him to get a lot of turnovers. He's a freakin turnover machine. I'm very excited for him.

id love him to pick off the Seahawks mihahaha

Just an FYI people were saying that his baker's cyst was part of the reason for the ACL. That's simply not true. It's painful, but wasn't responsible for that.

I feel like Huff has a role on a defense, he's not an all around S that's not replaceable. His instincts and vibe were awesome, I think Brown will be just fine in the same role. Sucks for him and I hope he gets back to 100%
Eagles fans laughing at him getting injured apparently. What a bunch of f**king losers. Not shocking though

• dj43
I feel like Huff has a role on a defense, he's not an all around S that's not replaceable. His instincts and vibe were awesome, I think Brown will be just fine in the same role. Sucks for him and I hope he gets back to 100%

His greatest strength was the way he worked with Gibson. They just played off each other very well. Brown may have the athletic ability but will need to develop that chemistry with TG that Huf had.

The two will have the rest of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. They will get tested on Thursday night for sure.

I think he will be back to his old form next year upon return
Originally posted by dj43:

His greatest strength was the way he worked with Gibson. They just played off each other very well. Brown may have the athletic ability but will need to develop that chemistry with TG that Huf had.

The two will have the rest of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. They will get tested on Thursday night for sure.

Safeties that are easily replaceable do not get into the pro bowl and sure as s**t don't get first team all-pro. They also do not earn that honor when their biggest strength is chemistry with another player Everyone is so quick to dismiss Huffs value to the team and I don't understand why? I challenge you too watch the all-22 too see what your television screens do not show. Reminds me of how many of you thought that Jimmy Ward was some scrub that should and is easily replaced. Doesn't suprise me at all that his position/replacement is the weakest link on defense
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Safeties that are easily replaceable do not get into the pro bowl and sure as s**t don't get first team all-pro. They also do not earn that honor when their biggest strength is chemistry with another player Everyone is so quick to dismiss Huffs value to the team and I don't understand why? I challenge you too watch the all-22 too see what your television screens do not show. Reminds me of how many of you thought that Jimmy Ward was some scrub that should and is easily replaced. Doesn't suprise me at all that his position/replacement is the weakest link on defense

Ward and Huf are not comparable IMO.

Ward is a good player, but highly overrated on this forum, I hated his play style but it was effective, and I admit he's definitely underrated by the average NFL fan. Huf is on another level though... very good playmaker.

I haven't watched a lot of Texans games this year, but I'd guess Ward just looks like another guy next to an all-pro player like Pitre.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Ward and Huf are not comparable IMO.

Ward is a good player, but highly overrated on this forum, I hated his play style but it was effective, and I admit he's definitely underrated by the average NFL fan. Huf is on another level though... very good playmaker.

I haven't watched a lot of Texans games this year, but I'd guess Ward just looks like another guy next to an all-pro player like Pitre.

Oh I wasn't comparing them as players, more so their value to the team and how many people here dismissed it because their tv screens doesn't show what DBs are doing on every play. Sometimes I forget how many people are oblivious to it
Share 49ersWebzone