LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Who was the best QB the 49ers had in the last decade

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who was the best QB the 49ers had in the last decade

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Kap a had year and a half run where he looked real good. Then he sucked.

So going by best year Kap. Overall, Smith.

Both arent saying much.

I'd have to agree with this.

Jimmy has yet to put together a year of dominance like kaepernick.

Jimmy has yet to show sustainability and above average play for multiple years like Alex from 2011-2018.

Best year? Kaepernick.

Best sustained success? Alex smith
It's Alex.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CJ75:
Kap & Jimmy are both very flawed & very different QB's who played on stacked rosters. They're sorta odd to compare.

No team has ever "feared" Jimmy like peak Kaepernick though. Jimmy was a hidden game manager in Shanahan's scheme where as Kaepernick was a bigger playmaker. Kaepernick also had the faster regression but Jimmy constantly gets injured. Couldn't care less which one people think is better though, they both failed to get it done.
Game manager who threw for nearly 4,000 yards last year. This argument is getting stale.
Jimmy G. without a question. not even close.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
The nostalgia for Kap is mind boggling. Jimmy is by far the superior *quarterback* in every aspect of what goes into the position.

Footwork, mechanics, accuracy, reading progressions, throwing a catchable ball. Kap was a raw athlete posing as a QB. Jimmy may not be the long term solution for us moving forward, but I'll go with the guy who passed for essentially 4,000 yards and 27 TDs with a bunch of conservative 4th quarters in blowouts... over the guy who struggled to throw for 200 yards per game.

yeah seriously. it's mind-boggling what fans use as their QB measuring stick
Why the need for this thread?

We've had different offensive personnel, as well as different offensive approaches.

For example, with Harbaugh... we could be up 10+ points in the second half... and Jimbo would already start running out the clock. Sometimes calling three straight runs. Would take penalties to milk the clock.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
The nostalgia for Kap is mind boggling. Jimmy is by far the superior *quarterback* in every aspect of what goes into the position.

Footwork, mechanics, accuracy, reading progressions, throwing a catchable ball. Kap was a raw athlete posing as a QB. Jimmy may not be the long term solution for us moving forward, but I'll go with the guy who passed for essentially 4,000 yards and 27 TDs with a bunch of conservative 4th quarters in blowouts... over the guy who struggled to throw for 200 yards per game.

You keep saying the same s**t. Join date 2013. Tell me, where were you posting before 2013? Or did you just join the interent posting about the 9ers at that time? Or did you have a different username. Be Real.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 8, 2020 at 1:08 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Next to the Miami Dolphins, the 49ers have the longest active drought of not having a quarterback named to the Pro Bowl.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Next to the Miami Dolphins, the 49ers have the longest active drought of not having a quarterback named to the Pro Bowl.

What were the records of those ProBowl QBs against us in the Playoffs.. against our non-Pro Bowl QBs?
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What a low bar. JG, Alex and Kaep all had some good points but also had enough bad points to keep them from becoming great.

So I note you have no opinion of who was the best of them?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
What were the records of those ProBowl QBs against us in the Playoffs.. against our non-Pro Bowl QBs?

What were the ranks of our defenses vs their defenses ? Because you know, qbs play against opposite defenses, not against each other.

I understand the media wants to make it sound like boxing matches, but football is played with 22 people.

Over last 10 years, our teams got carried by great defenses and run game. This isn't to say some of our QBs have had some good success in the playoffs and even had some signature moments (Saints, Falcons comebacks, Kaep running over GB, near-comeback in SB in 2012)
On topic, It's Kaepernick. Hes had probably the most loaded teams, but also with a crap team his numbers looked decent enough. Still, he's had a lot of issues, including a very slow release, not enough touch, and limited defense reading. But no one is perfect.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

What were the ranks of our defenses vs their defenses ? Because you know, qbs play against opposite defenses, not against each other.

I understand the media wants to make it sound like boxing matches, but football is played with 22 people.

Over last 10 years, our teams got carried by great defenses and run game. This isn't to say some of our QBs have had some good success in the playoffs and even had some signature moments (Saints, Falcons comebacks, Kaep running over GB, near-comeback in SB in 2012)

Yeah I know that.. but the Pro Bowl at times has been a popularity contest...with some QBs who put up stats in the regular season, but some of these same QBs don't even make the playoffs or choke when they get there.
Originally posted by ShotTime:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Kap a had year and a half run where he looked real good. Then he sucked.

So going by best year Kap. Overall, Smith.

Both arent saying much.

I'd have to agree with this.

Jimmy has yet to put together a year of dominance like kaepernick.

Jimmy has yet to show sustainability and above average play for multiple years like Alex from 2011-2018.

Best year? Kaepernick.

Best sustained success? Alex smith

In the last decade Alex Smith wasn't on the team after the 2012 season so 2013-2018 isn't relevant to the 49ers
Harbaugh lol
You just said WITH the 49ers, didn't have to play the position.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Nov 8, 2020 at 3:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone