LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

2020-21 Roster Analysis: Stay/Go/Too Soon to Know

Shop Find 49ers gear online
WRT Jimmy, if they decide to keep him beyond this season, they'll need to restructure his contract. That would help fund some of the other guys to keep. Richburg's valuable to the OL...he's the brains and typically plays well when healthy. That's been a problem, though. He's gotta stay on the field. That said, I do think they need to draft a C or at least an OG/C, an OT, too. I believe they've used FA too much...right now McGlinchey's the only one drafted. Overall, I like your stay list. I wonder if they could talk Sherman into retiring, then hire him as a defensive asst coach. By all means, Lynch needs to draft at least one top CB. I know he only has 6 picks now, but some trades could yield more. I'm on the fence with Dwelley. Decent hands & receiver, but a liability blocking. I'm hoping they don't pick up McGlinchey's 5th yr option...he's a decent to good run blocker, but his pass pro is miserable against top competition. If it comes down to Hyder or Blair, agree, keep Hyder. Ideally, they can keep both. Anxious to see Julian Taylor back in there...he can help inside and out. Think he's about to really emerge.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Weston Richburg need to take drastic pay cuts or gtfo.

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely an edge rusher of Dee Ford's caliber comes available this offseason, so the 49ers are going to have to invest more resources at that position.

This. Sherman is too valuable to be let go until we have a sure fire very good cb.

Sure he's older and slow but he still locks down a side of the field and will do so for probably 2 more years
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Weston Richburg need to take drastic pay cuts or gtfo.

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely an edge rusher of Dee Ford's caliber comes available this offseason, so the 49ers are going to have to invest more resources at that position.

This. Sherman is too valuable to be let go until we have a sure fire very good cb.

Sure he's older and slow but he still locks down a side of the field and will do so for probably 2 more years

Agreed, I'd keep Sherman, as long as he is playing well. I wouldn't pay top dollar though, he's gonna have to take a similar deal that he took in 2018 or lesser IMO.
My comments in Bold.

AB81Rules
Hall of Fame

Right now my ideal 2021 roster looks like this.

QB(2): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo/ 4 Nick Mullens (yes, however if our record sucks enough and we climb high enough in draft, we'll be drafting a QB)
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert/ 28 Jerick McKinnon/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr./ 38 JaMycal Hasty (Yes but Shanahan always picks up another sleeper. Wilson would go)
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszyzck (yes)
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel/ 11 Brandon Aiyuk/ 14 Jalen Hurd/ 84 Kendrick Bourne/ Veteran/ Draft Pick (Maybe James as the Returner, need to not sign Taylor, and trade/cut Pettis) (on board)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle/ 81 Jordan Reed(If he wants to be back, I like Reed a lot)/ 82 Ross Dwelley/ 89 Charlie Woerner (yes)
C(2): 58 Weston Richburg(Still like him a lot, I don't agree he was a bad signing, his only bad yr injury wise was 2017)/ 63 Ben Garland or a Rookie/Vet (agree)
OG(3): 68 Colton McKivitz/ 60 Daniel Brunskill/ Draft Pick (yes)
OT(3): 71 Trent Williams/ 69 Mike McGlinchey/ 67 Justin Skule or 78 Shon Coleman or a Draft Pick (Agree, but a little worried about Trent's leadership skills. Did not like it when his reactions threw Thomlinson under the bus on a missed pass blocking assignment. Not sure it was Thomlinson's fault. Either way, Staley never did that.)

DE(5): 91 Arik Armstead/ 97 Nick Bosa(Could end up on PUP for first 6 games)/ 55 Dee Ford(I still like him)/ 98 Ronald Blair III/ 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.(I am with you here even on Ford. We will know when/if he comes back this year and how he preforms.)
DT(3): 99 Javon Kinlaw/ 95 Kentavius Street/ 90 Kevin Givens (yes)
NT(2): 93 D.J. Jones/ 77 Jullian Taylor (yes)
LB(5): 54 Fred Warner/ 57 Dre Greenlaw/ 56 Kwon Alexander(Unless the cap is higher than $198.2M, he stays for another year IMO)/ 2 of 53 Mark Nzeocha or 51 Azeez Al-Shaair or 45 Demetrius Flannigan Fowles or Rookie Draft Pick (yeah, would prefer to pick up a stud rookie)
CB(5): 25 Richard Sherman(Only if he returns back to form)/ 41 Emmanuel Moseley/ 24 K'Waun Williams/ 22 Jason Verrett/ Rookie Draft Pick and/or Vet if Sherman isn't back (Would like to see them be able to play more man effectively and I don't think they can with Sherman at this point. Hope Verrett stays healthy. I think the 49ers have to change their philosophy and select a CB high in the draft, even in the first round)
S(4): 29 Jaquiski Tartt/ 20 Jimmie Ward/ 33 Tarvarius Moore/ 36 Marcell Harris or 32 Johnathan Cyprien (safeties are solid)

ST(3): 9 Robbie Gould/ 6 Mitch Wishnowsky/ 46 Taybor Pepper

I have 52, so 1 spot leftover, or 2 if Bosa starts on PUP, so draft another EDGE, and sign a vet IOL. (yep)

Nice work AB. What's your projection regarding salary cap on this?
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My comments in Bold.

AB81Rules
Hall of Fame

QB(2): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo/ 4 Nick Mullens (yes, however if our record sucks enough and we climb high enough in draft, we'll be drafting a QB)
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert/ 28 Jerick McKinnon/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr./ 38 JaMycal Hasty (Yes but Shanahan always picks up another sleeper. Wilson would go)
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel/ 11 Brandon Aiyuk/ 14 Jalen Hurd/ 84 Kendrick Bourne/ Veteran/ Draft Pick (Maybe James as the Returner, need to not sign Taylor, and trade/cut Pettis) (on board)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle/ 81 Jordan Reed(If he wants to be back, I like Reed a lot)/ 82 Ross Dwelley/ 89 Charlie Woerner (yes)
C(2): 58 Weston Richburg(Still like him a lot, I don't agree he was a bad signing, his only bad yr injury wise was 2017)/ 63 Ben Garland or a Rookie/Vet (agree)
OT(3): 71 Trent Williams/ 69 Mike McGlinchey/ 67 Justin Skule or 78 Shon Coleman or a Draft Pick (Agree, but a little worried about Trent's leadership skills. Did not like it when his reactions threw Thomlinson under the bus on a missed pass blocking assignment. Not sure it was Thomlinson's fault. Either way, Staley never did that.)

DE(5): 91 Arik Armstead/ 97 Nick Bosa(Could end up on PUP for first 6 games)/ 55 Dee Ford(I still like him)/ 98 Ronald Blair III/ 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.(I am with you here even on Ford. We will know when/if he comes back this year and how he preforms.)
LB(5): 54 Fred Warner/ 57 Dre Greenlaw/ 56 Kwon Alexander(Unless the cap is higher than $198.2M, he stays for another year IMO)/ 2 of 53 Mark Nzeocha or 51 Azeez Al-Shaair or 45 Demetrius Flannigan Fowles or Rookie Draft Pick (yeah, would prefer to pick up a stud rookie)
CB(5): 25 Richard Sherman(Only if he returns back to form)/ 41 Emmanuel Moseley/ 24 K'Waun Williams/ 22 Jason Verrett/ Rookie Draft Pick and/or Vet if Sherman isn't back (Would like to see them be able to play more man effectively and I don't think they can with Sherman at this point. Hope Verrett stays healthy. I think the 49ers have to change their philosophy and select a CB high in the draft, even in the first round)
S(4): 29 Jaquiski Tartt/ 20 Jimmie Ward/ 33 Tarvarius Moore/ 36 Marcell Harris or 32 Johnathan Cyprien (safeties are solid)

I have 52, so 1 spot leftover, or 2 if Bosa starts on PUP, so draft another EDGE, and sign a vet IOL. (yep)

Thanks 60's, I would love to find a stud LB'er too to replace Kwon down the line.

I could also see another UDFA RB over Wilson, if Hasty proves Wilson is expendable. Or if Hasty can become a quality Returner.

As for the cap, I have them at either $5M on a $175M cap, or $12M on a $198.2M cap, with the $175M cap we'd restructure Jimmy, Dee, Richburg, Kwon, AA and Ward, on a $198.2M, we'd redo Jimmy, Dee, AA, and Ward, but we could get away without redoing Ford, but it'd be a $11.26M loss if we didn't.
Gotta keep Sherman - can transition to safety. Need his vocal leadership - helps the defense more than just his play especially communication aspect.
Extremely very good analysis, good work, next year looks very different.

Thaks from Lima, Perú
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

QB(2): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo/ 4 Nick Mullens
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert/ 28 Jerick McKinnon/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr./ 38 JaMycal Hasty
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszyzck
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel/ 11 Brandon Aiyuk/ 14 Jalen Hurd/ 84 Kendrick Bourne/ Veteran/ Draft Pick (Maybe James as the Returner, need to not sign Taylor, and trade/cut Pettis)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle/ 81 Jordan Reed(If he wants to be back, I like Reed a lot)/ 82 Ross Dwelley/ 89 Charlie Woerner
C(2): 58 Weston Richburg(Still like him a lot, I don't agree he was a bad signing, his only bad yr injury wise was 2017)/ 63 Ben Garland or a Rookie/Vet
OG(3): 68 Colton McKivitz/ 60 Daniel Brunskill/ Draft Pick
OT(3): 71 Trent Williams/ 69 Mike McGlinchey/ 67 Justin Skule or 78 Shon Coleman or a Draft Pick

DE(5): 91 Arik Armstead/ 97 Nick Bosa(Could end up on PUP for first 6 games)/ 55 Dee Ford(I still like him)/ 98 Ronald Blair III/ 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.
DT(3): 99 Javon Kinlaw/ 95 Kentavius Street/ 90 Kevin Givens
NT(2): 93 D.J. Jones/ 77 Jullian Taylor
LB(5): 54 Fred Warner/ 57 Dre Greenlaw/ 56 Kwon Alexander(Unless the cap is higher than $198.2M, he stays for another year IMO)/ 2 of 53 Mark Nzeocha or 51 Azeez Al-Shaair or 45 Demetrius Flannigan Fowles or Rookie Draft Pick
CB(5): 25 Richard Sherman(Only if he returns back to form)/ 41 Emmanuel Moseley/ 24 K'Waun Williams/ 22 Jason Verrett/ Rookie Draft Pick and/or Vet if Sherman isn't back
S(4): 29 Jaquiski Tartt/ 20 Jimmie Ward/ 33 Tarvarius Moore/ 36 Marcell Harris or 32 Johnathan Cyprien

I have 52, so 1 spot leftover, or 2 if Bosa starts on PUP, so draft another EDGE, and sign a vet IOL.

I like the roster, we need OLine urgent... good analysis
Originally posted by 60sFan:
My comments in Bold.

AB81Rules
Hall of Fame

Good X 2
Thanks 60's, I would love to find a stud LB'er too to replace Kwon down the line.

I could also see another UDFA RB over Wilson, if Hasty proves Wilson is expendable. Or if Hasty can become a quality Returner.

As for the cap, I have them at either $5M on a $175M cap, or $12M on a $198.2M cap, with the $175M cap we'd restructure Jimmy, Dee, Richburg, Kwon, AA and Ward, on a $198.2M, we'd redo Jimmy, Dee, AA, and Ward, but we could get away without redoing Ford, but it'd be a $11.26M loss if we didn't.

What would be the benefit of not redoing Ford then? Wouldn't we want to just redo to save that 11M or get rid of him?

Originally posted by Howlett49:

What would be the benefit of not redoing Ford then? Wouldn't we want to just redo to save that 11M or get rid of him?

Either we redo him, and save the $11.26M or, if they deem him not worth a spot, they cut him, but lose the $11.26M. I'd lean towards redoing his deal, but others want him gone, even though he's effective as a pass rusher, he just needs to be given time, neck/back injuries are serious, can happen anytime, my Mom had a serious neck injury, she had to have surgery, she said the neck pain was the worst she's ever had, more than giving birth. It's that bad, if you can't walk, you can't play football. And as I said, you can hurt your back anyway, even by just twisting wrong, or moving wrong in bed, and as I've sad, our bodies were never meant to take this punishment, so that's why I give players slack on injuries, it's a brutal spot, injuries will happen to just about every player, whether minor or major.
Originally posted by PERUVIAN49ERS:

RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert/ 28 Jerick McKinnon/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr./ 38 JaMycal Hasty
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel/ 11 Brandon Aiyuk/ 14 Jalen Hurd/ 84 Kendrick Bourne/ Veteran/ Draft Pick (Maybe James as the Returner, need to not sign Taylor, and trade/cut Pettis)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle/ 81 Jordan Reed(If he wants to be back, I like Reed a lot)/ 82 Ross Dwelley/ 89 Charlie Woerner
C(2): 58 Weston Richburg(Still like him a lot, I don't agree he was a bad signing, his only bad yr injury wise was 2017)/ 63 Ben Garland or a Rookie/Vet
OT(3): 71 Trent Williams/ 69 Mike McGlinchey/ 67 Justin Skule or 78 Shon Coleman or a Draft Pick

DE(5): 91 Arik Armstead/ 97 Nick Bosa(Could end up on PUP for first 6 games)/ 55 Dee Ford(I still like him)/ 98 Ronald Blair III/ 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.
LB(5): 54 Fred Warner/ 57 Dre Greenlaw/ 56 Kwon Alexander(Unless the cap is higher than $198.2M, he stays for another year IMO)/ 2 of 53 Mark Nzeocha or 51 Azeez Al-Shaair or 45 Demetrius Flannigan Fowles or Rookie Draft Pick
CB(5): 25 Richard Sherman(Only if he returns back to form)/ 41 Emmanuel Moseley/ 24 K'Waun Williams/ 22 Jason Verrett/ Rookie Draft Pick and/or Vet if Sherman isn't back
S(4): 29 Jaquiski Tartt/ 20 Jimmie Ward/ 33 Tarvarius Moore/ 36 Marcell Harris or 32 Johnathan Cyprien

I have 52, so 1 spot leftover, or 2 if Bosa starts on PUP, so draft another EDGE, and sign a vet IOL.

Me 2, I wish they would have addressed it more in the offseason, but we had little cap room to sign any OL, trading for TW was the move, and drafting McKivitz. I was never for drafting Wirfs, whose been up and down in PP this year for TB. Plus I would never draft a RT to play RG at 13, when I think we did just fine with Kinlaw, and Aiyuk, plus McKivitz and Woerner have a ton of potential, and we got some good UDFAs like Hasty, Daniels, Mayden, Hokit, plus we still have Jennings on the PS. At the time, this team didn't need much, yeah we traded DeFo, let Sanders walk, and Staley retried, but for the most part we were able to get replacements who were as good or better or have the potential to be better down the road, I truly believe Kinlaw will be an All Pro DT. And Aiyuk is already looking like a great pick. As for Free Agency, we were in on Connor McGovern, who went to the Jets, but other than that, there wasn't many IOL worth signing, some opted out, just like some vet WRs like Gabriel who opted out.
Thanks for starting this thread OTC. AB, dude you rocked it. All week I've wanted to read a thread of this caliber or start one. This was very insightful and to the point. I'm a big twitter person but goodness folks don't understand how the cap works and are to over emotional after tough losses. I 1000% agree with your assessments for team needs. Good stuff!
Originally posted by PERUVIAN49ERS:

Me 2, I wish they would have addressed it more in the offseason, but we had little cap room to sign any OL, trading for TW was the move, and drafting McKivitz. I was never for drafting Wirfs, whose been up and down in PP this year for TB. Plus I would never draft a RT to play RG at 13, when I think we did just fine with Kinlaw, and Aiyuk, plus McKivitz and Woerner have a ton of potential, and we got some good UDFAs like Hasty, Daniels, Mayden, Hokit, plus we still have Jennings on the PS. At the time, this team didn't need much, yeah we traded DeFo, let Sanders walk, and Staley retried, but for the most part we were able to get replacements who were as good or better or have the potential to be better down the road, I truly believe Kinlaw will be an All Pro DT. And Aiyuk is already looking like a great pick. As for Free Agency, we were in on Connor McGovern, who went to the Jets, but other than that, there wasn't many IOL worth signing, some opted out, just like some vet WRs like Gabriel who opted out.

If Burnskill struggles Sunday, which I think we all believe he will against that beast, I'm all for moving forward with McKitiv at RG. I'm just not sure the CS should throw him in the flames just yet this week. Don't want Donald to crush his soul lol.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'd add McKinnon, Kwon, Ford, and Richburg in the gotta go category. Garland is a serviceable back up.

This. 💯
Share 49ersWebzone