There are 196 users in the forums

2020-21 Roster Analysis: Stay/Go/Too Soon to Know

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'd add McKinnon, Kwon, Ford, and Richburg in the gotta go category. Garland is a serviceable back up.

Only issue, as I explained, for Kwon and Ford, is they don't get the $29,179,412 in cap room until June 2nd, while their combined $37,085,852 cap number stays on the books until June 2nd. Also Richburg only saves $2,882,541 before June 1, $8,208,824 Post June 1, but his $11,263,965 cap number counts until June 2nd, so they'd be without $48,349,816 in cap room, that's not really a good idea, if the cap is only $175M, they're f**ked seriously, cause they'll either need to cut them before June 1, and maybe lose some key FAs, or restructure their deals. June 1 cuts don't help much in 2021, cause an extension for Warner won't cost much in yrs 1 and 2 IMO, like Kittle's deal.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Yeah I can see Belicheck signing a guy like Taylor and getting the most out of him, if he can stay healthy, I honestly had high hopes for TT coming into 2020, he had a good first 2 yrs, but been bad as has Pettis, just let them walk/trade them if possible.

I also am for releasing Laken Tomlinson, saves $5M in cash, at most $4.15M in cap room, when factoring in the top 51 rule.

Finally people are seeing what I am seeing. A nice/solid run blocker who is not a good pass pro.

Maybe the 49ers will get a new starting 5 on the OL in 2021.

I initially had them extending Him, but he's been awful at LG, the only starters I'd bring back are Trent and McGlinchey, and if he plays well if/when back Richburg, I want to see McKivitz at LG for the future, draft a C/RG or 2 guys. I'm not sure who replaces McGlinchey if he's gone, likely not happening though since his deal is fully GTD. I'm still hoping Brunskill develops, at the worse he's a capable backup IOL.
I'd add McKinnon, Kwon, Ford, and Richburg in the gotta go category. Garland is a serviceable back up.

Only issue, as I explained, for Kwon and Ford, is they don't get the $29,179,412 in cap room until June 2nd, while their combined $37,085,852 cap number stays on the books until June 2nd. Also Richburg only saves $2,882,541 before June 1, $8,208,824 Post June 1, but his $11,263,965 cap number counts until June 2nd, so they'd be without $48,349,816 in cap room, that's not really a good idea, if the cap is only $175M, they're f**ked seriously, cause they'll either need to cut them before June 1, and maybe lose some key FAs, or restructure their deals. June 1 cuts don't help much in 2021, cause an extension for Warner won't cost much in yrs 1 and 2 IMO, like Kittle's deal.
Yeah I can see Belicheck signing a guy like Taylor and getting the most out of him, if he can stay healthy, I honestly had high hopes for TT coming into 2020, he had a good first 2 yrs, but been bad as has Pettis, just let them walk/trade them if possible.

I also am for releasing Laken Tomlinson, saves $5M in cash, at most $4.15M in cap room, when factoring in the top 51 rule.

Finally people are seeing what I am seeing. A nice/solid run blocker who is not a good pass pro.

I initially had them extending Him, but he's been awful at LG, the only starters I'd bring back are Trent and McGlinchey, and if he plays well if/when back Richburg, I want to see McKivitz at LG for the future, draft a C/RG or 2 guys. I'm not sure who replaces McGlinchey if he's gone, likely not happening though since his deal is fully GTD. I'm still hoping Brunskill develops, at the worse he's a capable backup IOL.

In other words the FO f**ked up big time betting on 3 guys that can't stay on the field. The contract restructures were terrible. Our whole o line sucks in reality but we can't replace them all. I'd resign TW. after that it's all a toss up.

AB, do we get any money back if Ford retires? Asking for a friend.

In other words the FO f**ked up big time betting on 3 guys that can't stay on the field. The contract restructures were terrible. Our whole o line sucks in reality but we can't replace them all. I'd resign TW. after that it's all a toss up.

I've went through it with Dee and Richburg, they only had 1 bad year where they missed a ton of games to injuries, yeah Kwon had an injury in 2018 before we signed him, but at the time, it was the right moves, we needed an EDGE, C, and ILB, especially with Thomas not working at any spot, and Foster being a complete dumbass off the field. We had no one at C, Kilgore sucked worse than anyone IMO. They had really no choice but to redo Kwon and Richburg's deals, had they not, we'd have had no cap room this year, we wouldn't have been able to re-sign or extend or sign anyone. As for the OL, TW is the only must keep of the 5. Laken should be cut, Brunskill needs more developing. Garland shouldn't be starting, but honestly, is Grasu any better? Richburg's injury was un-avoidable IMO, while MM likely is back in 2021 due to his deal. I just hope McKivitz develops. In 2021, they need to draft a CB, EDGE, and 2 IOL in the draft. Also look at a WR. They likely won't sign any outside FAs unless they're cheap 1yr deals. Juice, TW, KW, Tartt, and Jones should be priorities to be re-signed, extend Warner and Mostert, tender Mullens, Moseley, and Brunskill, try to get Wilson, Dwelley, Harris, and Pepper to take 1yr $920K minimum deals, cause I wouldn't tender them as RFAs. I'd also look to re-sign Bourne, Jet, Blair, Hyder, maybe Garland only as a backup. I'd bring back most of the vets on 1yr $850K deals with no GTD money, let them compete. Guys like Witherspoon, Beathard, and Thomas could be brought back on 1yr vet minimum deals, but nothing more.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Definitely, Kwon is a goner - Greenlaw has been ready to supplant him, since last year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 15, 2020 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

If Dee were to retire, they can recoup his 2021-2023 prorated bonuses, which is around $14,354,988, but it would be in payments, like Anthony Davis had to pay back his bonus.

If Dee were to retire, they can recoup his 2021-2023 prorated bonuses, which is around $14,354,988, but it would be in payments, like Anthony Davis had to pay back his bonus.

How would affect the cap number?

The recouping wouldn't likely begin until 2022, so they'd still have dead money for 2021, and only save $6,209,420 if he retired before June 1.
Dee Ford ain't retiring. He's chilling at home collecting paychecks without having to break a sweat. He'll show up to camp next year, pretend he's good to go and start the year on IR. Rinse and repeat for easy paychecks. The 49ers' front office should've been looking for a way to get OUT from Dee Ford last offseason. Instead, they made it more difficult to cut this guy.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dee Ford ain't retiring. He's chilling at home collecting paychecks without having to break a sweat. He'll show up to camp next year, pretend he's good to go and start the year on IR. Rinse and repeat for easy paychecks. The 49ers' front office should've been looking for a way to get OUT from Dee Ford last offseason. Instead, they made it more difficult to cut this guy.

Why would he retire? He would be stupid to. lol. I can't blame him and the system allows him to do so.

The recouping wouldn't likely begin until 2022, so they'd still have dead money for 2021, and only save $6,209,420 if he retired before June 1.

So we're screwed no matter what. If that's the case, I would do everything I can to find his replacement and then still cut him after June 1. Like I said, it doesn't help us while we're looking for help earlier in the year, but at least clears cap for a potential trade later on.

So we're screwed no matter what. If that's the case, I would do everything I can to find his replacement and then still cut him after June 1. Like I said, it doesn't help us while we're looking for help earlier in the year, but at least clears cap for a potential trade later on.

Nah, not really, just how it is. The team will be getting $3.125M in credits in 2021 from Sherman and Compton's incentives, and some per game roster bonuses not achieved. As for cutting post June 1, they'd be better doing it before June 1, as I said, his entire cap number stays until June 2nd, between him and Kwon that's $37M in cap room being tied up until June 2nd. Not sure what we would do with the money we'd get on June 2nd, extensions don't need much cap room as we saw with Kittle's. If the cap is only $175M, which is very well could be, cause I don't see stacked crowds anytime soon, then we're gonna need to cut them before June 1 or redo their deals to keep our own FAs.
i think Ford is gone for sure.
Jimmy is the FQB, and not going anywhere IMO
If Sherm can come back and shows he can run well, im sure we'll extend him on a Paraag special
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
If Sherm can come back and shows he can run well, im sure we'll extend him on a Paraag special

It really all depends on what the 2021 cap is, if it's $175M, then the team will have to restructure some deals just to sign guys like TW, KW, Juice, Jones, Tartt, tender their RFAs and ERFAs. If the cap is $198.2M or higher, than the team will still need to restructure some deals, likely just Jimmy, AA and Ward, while they can leave the Kwon and Richburg alone, but Dee is the one that they'll have to decide on, if they restructure his deal they save $11.26M, if they cut him they save only $6.2M before june 1, but like I said, June 1 cuts don't really help you, they need money to sign their own, and they won't be signing anyone outside of the team, unless to 1yr deals for cheap.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

It really all depends on what the 2021 cap is, if it's $175M, then the team will have to restructure some deals just to sign guys like TW, KW, Juice, Jones, Tartt, tender their RFAs and ERFAs. If the cap is $198.2M or higher, than the team will still need to restructure some deals, likely just Jimmy, AA and Ward, while they can leave the Kwon and Richburg alone, but Dee is the one that they'll have to decide on, if they restructure his deal they save $11.26M, if they cut him they save only $6.2M before june 1, but like I said, June 1 cuts don't really help you, they need money to sign their own, and they won't be signing anyone outside of the team, unless to 1yr deals for cheap.

Time to reload. JG sucking massive is the real kicker. If he was solid it would be very easy to attack.
Share 49ersWebzone