There are 154 users in the forums

2020-21 Roster Analysis: Stay/Go/Too Soon to Know

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When it comes to upcoming free agents or guys simply not pulling their weight, what do we do to move forward and improve? I have my share of ideas. Based on what we've seen over this season and last season (and beyond), I'll look at each group of players and who I think should stay/go and why. Thread starts now...

2021 Free Agents:

Stay:

S Jacquiski Tartt - While he's been nicked up here and there, there's no question about his value on the field. Great fit in the scheme and we should try to bring him back if at all possible. Good hitter, good at covering TEs, and a smart player.

CB K'Waun Williams - See above. Same thing with him and Tartt. Both very valuable pieces in their roles.

FB Kyle Juszczyk - Important piece to our entire offense. I don't think Hokit will be ready to replace him, but I'm not there at practice. Kyle is a perennial pro bowler at his position so losing him causes a big drop-off.

DT DJ Jones - As much of a pocket pusher as a run stuffer. Balanced, quality player who we need to keep on if we can.

DE Kerry Hyder - Just a great fit in this scheme and is playing like a starting quality DE right now. Absolutely must re-sign. Looks even better than Blair has in his career here.

WR Tavon Austin - I would give him a shot in camp to compete for the slot and KR/PR duties.

CB Jason Verrett - Likely won't cost that much and has been playing like the starter we knew he could be, if healthy.

QB Nick Mullens (RFA) - Keep him at least until you've got a viable replacement.

CB Emmanuel Moseley (RFA) - Isn't a superstar, but is a legit starting caliber CB. Must tender.

Other RFA/ERFAs to Bring Back for Depth: TE Dwelley, S Marcell Harris, RB Wilson, RB Hasty, OL Brunskill, LS Pepper

Go:

RB Tevin Coleman - Simply put, he is a slightly bigger body with more speed and he can catch, but he has struggled to stay healthy for two years now, and can be replaced by McKinnon/Hasty/Wilson, if not another draft pick in 2021.

CB Richard Sherman - As much as I hate to say it, he too should go. He's struggling with health a lot now too and age isn't on his side when it comes to recovering better. His leadership is huge, but he lacks the range to play FS, and unless you want him at SS on a short term deal (extremely unlikely he plays there), you just can't have him being a liability on the field, especially against speed, going forward.

DT Solomon Thomas - Never worked out as the future edge and was never a dominant force even when he played inside.

WR Trent Taylor - Never had speed to begin with, was never particularly strong, and now after the foot injury seems to lost his best trait of quickness. Simply offers no value now.

CB Ahkello Witherspoon - Soft, no ball skills or awareness whatsoever, streaky at best and loses confidence easily. Easily replaceable.

QB CJ Beathard - Beathard will turn 29 next year. He hasn't had many reps this year, but there hasn't been much evidence that he significantly better than his early years with us. Mullens will be easy to retain for cheap, but I expect the team to look for someone in the draft with starter qualities because we still have no idea if Jimmy is going to work out here. We may keep 3 QBs again, and/or trade Mullens next year.

OL Ben Garland - He's filling in as best he can, but he looks like a backup in a starting position. We should look to go younger.

Others to go but not worth writing about: CB Taylor, C Grasu, CB Johnson, DL Jordan, DL Ansah, OL Compton

Too Soon to Know:

OT Trent Williams - Has had almost as many bad games as good games. We've got to see if he's on the downward decline or if his mistakes are simply anomalies.

WR Kendrick Bourne - Gets open and does make plays sometimes, but continues to drop the ball. Clear #3 at best.

RB Jerick McKinnon - Runs really hard, but we have to see how he finishes out the season. Lacks the speed he used to, but is clearly valuable as a receiver. If we bring him back, it has to be at a reasonable price. We may let him test free agency otherwise.

DE Ronald Blair - He will have to prove he has recovered well from the ACL injury and give us reason to believe he can continue to be a valuable depth piece. At no point has Blair even been on pace for double-digit sacks, and Hyder is playing fantastic football right now. If it came down to it, I would have to pick Kerry over Blair right now. If he does well though, we should try to keep both for depth. Granted, it may be hard to keep Hyder at this rate.

TE Jordan Reed - No guarantee he wants to play anymore after this. He only came for a last shot at the Super Bowl.

Non-FA Underperformers:

DE Dee Ford, WR Dante Pettis, LB Kwon Alexander, QB Jimmy Garoppolo - Pettis just needs to be released, but Dee and Kwon should be cut after June 1st. I understand it doesn't help us with free agents in 2021, but it gives us more room to potentially trade for someone, so it does still help us. Jimmy we need to keep until we clearly have the opportunity to add someone better. You don't just cut him outright or you lose any opportunity you had to win by starting someone who has no business even being in the equation to play.

Our roster will -- as it should -- look VERY different in 2021. Thoughts?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 15, 2020 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
When it comes to upcoming free agents or guys simply not pulling their weight, what do we do to move forward and improve? I have my share of ideas. Based on what we've seen over this season and last season (and beyond), I'll look at each group of players and who I think should stay/go and why. Thread starts now...

2021 Free Agents:

Stay:

S Jacquiski Tartt - While he's been nicked up here and there, there's no question about his value on the field. Great fit in the scheme and we should try to bring him back if at all possible. Good hitter, good at covering TEs, and a smart player.

CB K'Waun Williams - See above. Same thing with him and Tartt. Both very valuable pieces in their roles.

FB Kyle Juszczyk - Important piece to our entire offense. I don't think Hokit will be ready to replace him, but I'm not there at practice. Kyle is a perennial pro bowler at his position so losing him causes a big drop-off.

DT DJ Jones - As much of a pocket pusher as a run stuffer. Balanced, quality player who we need to keep on if we can.

DE Kerry Hyder - Just a great fit in this scheme and is playing like a starting quality DE right now. Absolutely must re-sign. Looks even better than Blair has in his career here.

WR Tavon Austin - I would give him a shot in camp to compete for the slot and KR/PR duties.

CB Jason Verrett - Likely won't cost that much and has been playing like the starter we knew he could be, if healthy.

QB Nick Mullens (RFA) - Keep him at least until you've got a viable replacement.

CB Emmanuel Moseley (RFA) - Isn't a superstar, but is a legit starting caliber CB. Must tender.

Other RFA/ERFAs to Bring Back for Depth: TE Dwelley, S Marcell Harris, RB Wilson, RB Hasty, OL Brunskill, LS Pepper

Go:

RB Tevin Coleman - Simply put, he is a slightly bigger body with more speed and he can catch, but he has struggled to stay healthy for two years now, and can be replaced by McKinnon/Hasty/Wilson, if not another draft pick in 2021.

CB Richard Sherman - As much as I hate to say it, he too should go. He's struggling with health a lot now too and age isn't on his side when it comes to recovering better. His leadership is huge, but he lacks the range to play FS, and unless you want him at SS on a short term deal (extremely unlikely he plays there), you just can't have him being a liability on the field, especially against speed, going forward.

DT Solomon Thomas - Never worked out as the future edge and was never a dominant force even when he played inside.

WR Trent Taylor - Never had speed to begin with, was never particularly strong, and now after the foot injury seems to lost his best trait of quickness. Simply offers no value now.

CB Ahkello Witherspoon - Soft, no ball skills or awareness whatsoever, streaky at best and loses confidence easily. Easily replaceable.

QB CJ Beathard - Beathard will turn 29 next year. He hasn't had many reps this year, but there hasn't been much evidence that he significantly better than his early years with us. Mullens will be easy to retain for cheap, but I expect the team to look for someone in the draft with starter qualities because we still have no idea if Jimmy is going to work out here. We may keep 3 QBs again, and/or trade Mullens next year.

OL Ben Garland - He's filling in as best he can, but he looks like a backup in a starting position. We should look to go younger.

Others to go but not worth writing about: CB Taylor, C Grasu, CB Johnson, DL Jordan, DL Ansah, OL Compton

Too Soon to Know:

OT Trent Williams - Has had almost as many bad games as good games. We've got to see if he's on the downward decline or if his mistakes are simply anomalies.

WR Kendrick Bourne - Gets open and does make plays sometimes, but continues to drop the ball. Clear #3 at best.

RB Jerick McKinnon - Runs really hard, but we have to see how he finishes out the season. Lacks the speed he used to, but is clearly valuable as a receiver. If we bring him back, it has to be at a reasonable price. We may let him test free agency otherwise.

DE Ronald Blair - He will have to prove he has recovered well from the ACL injury and give us reason to believe he can continue to be a valuable depth piece. At no point has Blair even been on pace for double-digit sacks, and Hyder is playing fantastic football right now. If it came down to it, I would have to pick Kerry over Blair right now. If he does well though, we should try to keep both for depth. Granted, it may be hard to keep Hyder at this rate.

TE Jordan Reed - No guarantee he wants to play anymore after this. He only came for a last shot at the Super Bowl.

Non-FA Underperformers:

DE Dee Ford, WR Dante Pettis, LB Kwon Alexander, QB Jimmy Garoppolo - Pettis just needs to be released, but Dee and Kwon should be cut after June 1st. I understand it doesn't help us with free agents in 2021, but it gives us more room to potentially trade for someone, so it does still help us. Jimmy we need to keep until we clearly have the opportunity to add someone better. You don't just cut him outright or you lose any opportunity you had to win by starting someone who has no business even being in the equation to play.

Our roster will -- as it should -- look VERY different in 2021. Thoughts?

I agree with the stays, I'm for Austin getting a 1yr minimum deal to prove it in camp.

As for let go, If Sherman can't come back, then yeah, let him go, but not sure who replaces him, need to seriously draft a CB high. I'm 50/50 on Garland, he's a good backup C, but shouldn't be starting. I can see Thomas, Beathard, and Witherspoon back on one-year minimum deals, nothing more, to compete. I can also see Coleman back cause Shanny loves him, but I'd rather have Mostert/Jet/Wilson/Hasty in 2021 with Juice at FB as our 5 backs.

As for unsure, I still like Jet, Trent, Bourne, and Blair as staying, Trent would be the biggest deal, I know he's had 2 bad games, but I'm not giving up on him as a top LT in the NFL. Reed, I'd bring back if he wants to compete in camp.

I don't see them being able to keep most of their FAs if they post June 1 Dee and Kwon, as besides not getting the money until June 2nd, their cap numbers still count against the cap until June 2nd. So it's not like they don't count, we still would have $37M tied up in those 2 until June 2nd.

I don't see Shanahan giving up on Jimmy, not without someone in house as a clear replacement.
Oh, another thing the 49ers need to do in 2021 is extend Warner, which won't be tough, just use some cap room to give him a similar deal to Kittle's, low 2021 and 2022 cap numbers. Also need to extend Mostert in 2021 IMO. We could cut Tomlinson, and save $5M(well before Top 51 rule).

In 2022, we'll need to extend Dre, Deebo and Bosa. Along with deciding on what to do with McGlinchey, they probably pick his option up in 2021.
This better be the last big purge for a long time
Watch them extend Trent Taylor
Right now my ideal 2021 roster looks like this.

QB(2): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo/ 4 Nick Mullens
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert/ 28 Jerick McKinnon/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr./ 38 JaMycal Hasty
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszyzck
WR(6): 19 Deebo Samuel/ 11 Brandon Aiyuk/ 14 Jalen Hurd/ 84 Kendrick Bourne/ Veteran/ Draft Pick (Maybe James as the Returner, need to not sign Taylor, and trade/cut Pettis)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle/ 81 Jordan Reed(If he wants to be back, I like Reed a lot)/ 82 Ross Dwelley/ 89 Charlie Woerner
C(2): 58 Weston Richburg(Still like him a lot, I don't agree he was a bad signing, his only bad yr injury wise was 2017)/ 63 Ben Garland or a Rookie/Vet
OG(3): 68 Colton McKivitz/ 60 Daniel Brunskill/ Draft Pick
OT(3): 71 Trent Williams/ 69 Mike McGlinchey/ 67 Justin Skule or 78 Shon Coleman or a Draft Pick

DE(5): 91 Arik Armstead/ 97 Nick Bosa(Could end up on PUP for first 6 games)/ 55 Dee Ford(I still like him)/ 98 Ronald Blair III/ 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.
DT(3): 99 Javon Kinlaw/ 95 Kentavius Street/ 90 Kevin Givens
NT(2): 93 D.J. Jones/ 77 Jullian Taylor
LB(5): 54 Fred Warner/ 57 Dre Greenlaw/ 56 Kwon Alexander(Unless the cap is higher than $198.2M, he stays for another year IMO)/ 2 of 53 Mark Nzeocha or 51 Azeez Al-Shaair or 45 Demetrius Flannigan Fowles or Rookie Draft Pick
CB(5): 25 Richard Sherman(Only if he returns back to form)/ 41 Emmanuel Moseley/ 24 K'Waun Williams/ 22 Jason Verrett/ Rookie Draft Pick and/or Vet if Sherman isn't back
S(4): 29 Jaquiski Tartt/ 20 Jimmie Ward/ 33 Tarvarius Moore/ 36 Marcell Harris or 32 Johnathan Cyprien

ST(3): 9 Robbie Gould/ 6 Mitch Wishnowsky/ 46 Taybor Pepper

I have 52, so 1 spot leftover, or 2 if Bosa starts on PUP, so draft another EDGE, and sign a vet IOL.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I hope not, I can see a team overpaying him because teams love tiny speedy white slot WRs, look at Edelman, no Taylor isn't Edelman, but someone will try to get the most out of him.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I hope not, I can see a team overpaying him because teams love tiny speedy white slot WRs, look at Edelman, no Taylor isn't Edelman, but someone will try to get the most out of him.

Every UFA should go minus juice, k williams and DJ Jones. MAYBE Hyder deserves another contract....maybe.

They love them when they are producing. 5 catches and 37 yards through 5 games is lousy production.

Yeah I can see Belicheck signing a guy like Taylor and getting the most out of him, if he can stay healthy, I honestly had high hopes for TT coming into 2020, he had a good first 2 yrs, but been bad as has Pettis, just let them walk/trade them if possible.

I also am for releasing Laken Tomlinson, saves $5M in cash, at most $4.15M in cap room, when factoring in the top 51 rule.
Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Weston Richburg need to take drastic pay cuts or gtfo.

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely an edge rusher of Dee Ford's caliber comes available this offseason, so the 49ers are going to have to invest more resources at that position.
Yeah I can see Belicheck signing a guy like Taylor and getting the most out of him, if he can stay healthy, I honestly had high hopes for TT coming into 2020, he had a good first 2 yrs, but been bad as has Pettis, just let them walk/trade them if possible.

I also am for releasing Laken Tomlinson, saves $5M in cash, at most $4.15M in cap room, when factoring in the top 51 rule.

Finally people are seeing what I am seeing. A nice/solid run blocker who is not a good pass pro.

Maybe the 49ers will get a new starting 5 on the OL in 2021.

The problem is he isn't speedy and doesn't have much production to show.
I'd add McKinnon, Kwon, Ford, and Richburg in the gotta go category. Garland is a serviceable back up.
Share 49ersWebzone