LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

Who should start at QB vs Dolphins?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should start at QB vs Dolphins?

Here's the deal for me, point-by-point, why I think Beathard deserves a shot:

1. Nick has had action against three winless teams. He looked meh in the first, good in the second, TERRIBLE in the third. This is in his 4th year now, we know he's not a world beater, but how can we trust him now? No excuse for how bad he was on Sunday.

2. Beathard opens up a plethora of options for the offense that you just don't get with Nick. QB runs, deep passes, sideline throws, etc.

3. Additionally, CJ Beathard made 5 starts as a rookie. Mullens was in his 2nd year in the system when he first had to start, since he spent that first year on the PS. It's honestly unfair to compare Mullens' stats to CJ without taking that into consideration at all either.

4. We also need to look at their strength of schedule over each of their ten starts. The combined record of the Beathard's opponents: 76-59-1 / The combined record of Mullens' opponents: 55-63 -- That's an absolutely insane discrepancy. Consider the team Beathard was on in 2017 too. Recall the game against Philadelphia with virtually everyone on the OL out due to injury. Try playing behind that as a rookie in this system.

Bottom line: CJ Beathard's level of competition was ASTRONOMICALLY HIGHER... AND he was forced into action earlier in his career than Mullens was. Over CJ's span of 10 starts, he faced 5 different playoff teams and 2 teams that went to the Super Bowl in each of his first two seasons in the league. All things considered, there is a very good reason to believe that Beathard may very well be just as good, if not better than Mullens.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM ]
If Jimmy can't go, I would give Beathard a shot. Not because I think it is anywhere near certain that he is better than Mullens, but more that it has been a couple of years, I would like to know what we have there.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
If Jimmy can't go, I would give Beathard a shot. Not because I think it is anywhere near certain that he is better than Mullens, but more that it has been a couple of years, I would like to know what we have there.

This is an wise point.
I voted Mullens because I think he still has the best chance to have any trade value
my.... have the tables have turned.
[ Edited by ForeverYoung8 on Oct 8, 2020 at 2:01 PM ]
CJB is more suited this game because they play a lot of man to man, whoever is playing gotta trust their receivers. I think Mullens confidence is probably low as f**k rn.
Share 49ersWebzone