• QB out for 2 games,
  • both top RBs (Mostert/Coleman) out for multiple games
  • Top playmaker (Kittle) out for 1.5 games
  • Deebo out for 3 games
  • 1st round WR (Aiyuk) out for one of the games we lost
  • top corner (Sherman) out for multiple games
  • 2nd corner (Moseley) out for multiple games
  • both edges (Ford/Bosa) out for multiple games

With Buckner the outcome of this season would be the same. Not sure how many other teams can lose those types of players above and still be 2-2.
And

Blair out
Richburg out
Taylor out
Hurd still out
Reed out
Thomas out

Tough season so far.
Originally posted by pdfortune:
I'd love to have Bucker, but he isn't worth $20,000,000 with a salary cap. Donald gets $21.5 and he is a game wrecker, and Buckner isn't too me. I'm also not a fan of Pac 12 defensive players in general (because they don't play much defense like the Big 12) so I was surprised years ago they took Oregon players in back to back years. I wish they could have traded AA instead of Buckner. I feel Kinlaw is better than Buckner as rookie, and I think he has way more upside. Also, I was never a fan of Buckner versus the run.

I wish we would've picked Buckner too, but so far this season Armstead actually ranks 4th in the NFL among edge rushers on PFF. Hes been outstanding.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by pdfortune:
I'd love to have Bucker, but he isn't worth $20,000,000 with a salary cap. Donald gets $21.5 and he is a game wrecker, and Buckner isn't too me. I'm also not a fan of Pac 12 defensive players in general (because they don't play much defense like the Big 12) so I was surprised years ago they took Oregon players in back to back years. I wish they could have traded AA instead of Buckner. I feel Kinlaw is better than Buckner as rookie, and I think he has way more upside. Also, I was never a fan of Buckner versus the run.

I wish we would've picked Buckner too, but so far this season Armstead actually ranks 4th in the NFL among edge rushers on PFF. Hes been outstanding.

But on his 6 QB hits last week he was kinda slow so he sux #webzonelogic.
Originally posted by thl408:
The dropoff from Bosa/Ford to Hyder/Jordan is the biggest hurt on the defense at the moment. Having to play Dontae Johnson is probably next. The defense has nice stats right now, but I think that's mainly from playing bad QBs. I'm scared to think what a top QB would do to the current 49ers defense.

Kinlaw isn't Buckner, but he's closer to Bucker than Hyder is to Bosa. As far as the intangibles that Buckner brings that's a legit concern. Warner seems to have emerged as the leader of the defense to help make up for it.

so with that said, which QB's are you most worried about coming up?
No point talking about guys who aren't on the team anymore. The plan to trade and draft was good but injuries change even the best plans.

What is really Fking us now is Ford not playing. Disgusted with guy. If he doesn't get his ass on the field cut him
Originally posted by Curlin:
No point talking about guys who aren't on the team anymore. The plan to trade and draft was good but injuries change even the best plans.

What is really Fking us now is Ford not playing. Disgusted with guy. If he doesn't get his ass on the field cut him

Errr, well, Bosa isn't playing either, or Blair. Should we cut them too?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Buckner would have prevented JG from being injured or made Mullens not crap the bed?

Bad QB play from our backup is the reason we are 2-2 instead of 3-1

It's more accurate to say that bad play from our QBs is why we're 2-2 and not 4-0. However, the margin in both games was close, so perhaps having Buckner in either game could have made a difference. There is no way of knowing.
Originally posted by English:
Errr, well, Bosa isn't playing either, or Blair. Should we cut them too?

Really? the other 2 want to play. I cant say that about ford. He gets a hang nail and he is out. Useless.
[ Edited by Curlin on Oct 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
The dropoff from Bosa/Ford to Hyder/Jordan is the biggest hurt on the defense at the moment. Having to play Dontae Johnson is probably next. The defense has nice stats right now, but I think that's mainly from playing bad QBs. I'm scared to think what a top QB would do to the current 49ers defense.

Kinlaw isn't Buckner, but he's closer to Bucker than Hyder is to Bosa. As far as the intangibles that Buckner brings that's a legit concern. Warner seems to have emerged as the leader of the defense to help make up for it.

Looking at the second half schedule, I think it's easier to say which QB I am not worried about - whoever is playing QB for Washington.

Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Looking at the second half schedule, I think it's easier to say which QB I am not worried about - whoever is playing QB for Washington.

so does Ryan Fitz generate concern?
Not having Buckner's 1.5 sacks is really killing us
Could rush 4 with him
Run defense is better without him. He was valuable but he's replaceable. He's no Bosa.
Agree with OP on this one.

Having Buckner in the locker room would have helped heal Jimmy G and he'd only would've missed a couple plays. If not he would have definitely told Mullens not to throw that pick 6. Bosa probably wouldn't even been hurt too.
Share 49ersWebzone