LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
JD your insight, as always, brings absolute perspective on the game. Anyone who watched the game knows what happened; that the Niners should have won. But, you always show intricate details which solidify that this is a team that, when healthy and firing on all cylinders, is the top team in the NFL😎
Juice got a carry, 1 for 7yds. How rare is that. You guys need to break that one down hard. OW is a run threat lol 😆
Great work JD! Another thing to note here is that Arizona is team that has played the 49ers tough recently and has a ton of exposure to what the 49ers are up to on offense. Add to that the fact Kyler Murray is a complete X-Factor with his legs that complicates things for a defense built to pin its ears back and rush the QB. Arizona may have made one of the best trades of the decade (already) with that Hopkins deal.

Staying healthy is critical to any team trying to win a Super Bowl and you could see it on the field last week. I think the outcome would have been different if Aiyuk and Samuel were in the lineup, but what can you do? Arizona is better team than many realize.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 19, 2020 at 12:50 PM ]
Well done thank you !
Great job JD, and thanks for all nuggets in this thread!

We get on track, coz the Jets, heal up a bit. I'm getting less and less hot on Kwon.

Seeing Aiyuk soon gets me excited!
Kinlaw got me excited!!
Warner and DRE gets me excited!!!

TRENT gets me EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!
https://youtu.be/1uJ6Zy1Zoew

Go 9ers!!
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by BumCity:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Finally got it done, don't really have the energy to do a full write-up now as it's almost midnight my time. I got the whole thing done and uploaded to youtube only to have a 30 second clip flagged by the NFL so I had to re-edit that short section and spend another 45 minutes exporting and uploading. So, that being said, I'm headed to bed. Cheers!

I know you didn't cover that final play of the game to Taylor, but that was the 2nd time he did that extra "shake" at the top of his route before making his cut. Kyle commented on this and pointed that to a chemistry thing with him and Jimmy. earlier he did the same thing with what you showed when he needed to slant immediately scraping under (pettis or bourne? cant remember). when Taylor didnt even need to do that shake as if he was isolated in man. i think that is definitely a discrepancy in the lack of chemistry between the 2.

The 4th down play was very similar to a 3rd & 5 they failed to convert in the 1Q. jd touched on that 1Q play as ARI playing a trap coverage where the CB pretends to play man, follows the outside WR, only to drop off and rob the flat.

This is the 4th down play. Bourne raises his arm up to sell that he is open so that the CB doesn't drop off to rob the flat. Notice how Taylor runs this route a bit different than the 1Q play. He kinda takes a step sideways, then upfield, then breaks to the outside. Perhaps that's the extra wiggle Kyle was talking about. (I didn't listen to Kyle's presser).

Fourth down play art......answers why Pettis didn't get the look.

This play doesn't matter as much, because the top option was open, so it makes sense that Jimmy didn't look Pettis's way. It was just a late throw and thrown way behind the receiver.

There's a lot of b***hing in Niner social media that jimmy messed this play up and that's just not the case. This playart explains that Pettis was Third in the progression and the Out is the primary. The primary was open and the primary gets the ball 100% of the time if he's open.

This. All those clips of Pettis and Bourne "open" need to be taken with context within the play design and primary/secondary reads.
anyone surprised at how often shanahan got out schemed?
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
There's a lot of b***hing in Niner social media that jimmy messed this play up and that's just not the case. This playart explains that Pettis was Third in the progression and the Out is the primary. The primary was open and the primary gets the ball 100% of the time if he's open.

Like i said before im no JohnyDale. damn though at least look of a lb or Safety in the progreesion......

There's no safety/LBer to look off when your primary is open on a quick out. It has to get out QUICK to hit that portion of the play. Based on the playart, had the Primary been covered and therefore redlighted he would have look towards Kittle over the middle before moving to the 3rd read of Pettis.
Originally posted by NCommand:
.be

Finally got it done, don't really have the energy to do a full write-up now as it's almost midnight my time. I got the whole thing done and uploaded to youtube only to have a 30 second clip flagged by the NFL so I had to re-edit that short section and spend another 45 minutes exporting and uploading. So, that being said, I'm headed to bed. Cheers!

I know you didn't cover that final play of the game to Taylor, but that was the 2nd time he did that extra "shake" at the top of his route before making his cut. Kyle commented on this and pointed that to a chemistry thing with him and Jimmy. earlier he did the same thing with what you showed when he needed to slant immediately scraping under (pettis or bourne? cant remember). when Taylor didnt even need to do that shake as if he was isolated in man. i think that is definitely a discrepancy in the lack of chemistry between the 2.

The 4th down play was very similar to a 3rd & 5 they failed to convert in the 1Q. jd touched on that 1Q play as ARI playing a trap coverage where the CB pretends to play man, follows the outside WR, only to drop off and rob the flat.

This is the 4th down play. Bourne raises his arm up to sell that he is open so that the CB doesn't drop off to rob the flat. Notice how Taylor runs this route a bit different than the 1Q play. He kinda takes a step sideways, then upfield, then breaks to the outside. Perhaps that's the extra wiggle Kyle was talking about. (I didn't listen to Kyle's presser).

This play doesn't matter as much, because the top option was open, so it makes sense that Jimmy didn't look Pettis's way. It was just a late throw and thrown way behind the receiver.

This. All those clips of Pettis and Bourne "open" need to be taken with context within the play design and primary/secondary reads.

Does it really matter which WR is supposed to be the primary? Doesn't the defensive look determine which WR is the primary? In this case, ARI was showing blitz which should alert JG that he won't have much time to wait for Pettis' route. But, ARI dropped into a zone blitz. To what extend is a QB supposed to read a zone blitz and then make that adjustment post snap? Zone blitzes seem hard to read and result in quite a few slant or short curl routes as INTs by a big DL.
Originally posted by Joecool:
.be

Does it really matter which WR is supposed to be the primary?

100%.

Originally posted by Joecool:
.be

Does it really matter which WR is supposed to be the primary?

100%.

On plays that are pick-a-side type plays there can be multiple primaries that a presnap read will tell the QB which side to work. Those types of playart will usually have multiple 1's and multiple 2's on them indicating that it is a pick a side type play and based on which side you pick you work that progression. This play play here has a 1-3 and an alert. In this case the primary will always be the 1 unless its covered and therefore redlighted or if the "Alert" (the streak in this case is a bust and wide open). Taylor is open and is the primary.
  • thl408

Nothing like beating up on a weak team to get some confidence back. The Jets without LBell and JCrowder were lacking at the skill posiitons. Then they lost BPerriman early 2Q and Darnold is on his own. Against ARI, it made sense not to use Cover3 as the staple coverage. In this game, the 49er defense coverage wise looked more like their 2019 form with a healthy mix of single high and two safety shells. They weren't shy to challenge the talent depleted Jets by manning up on 3rd downs, which was something I saw more of in week 1 and it continued to week 2. They ran slants and scrapes to combat the Jets inside zone running game. The slants often blew up the blocking scheme of the Jets and had Gore averaging 3.0 yards per carry. The 49ers even went back to their roots under Saleh with five man fronts on occasion to help out with run defense. With no WRs to help out Darnold, the Jets offense was lagging all game.

Jimmy was decisive in this game and let it rip into small throwing windows on a number of occasions. He gave Bourne a chance to make a play on a vertical route that Bourne dropped. He hit Bourne on a quick Curl that showed trust. He hit Coleman on a nice seam pass behind the LB, in front of the safety. Had he played like this in week 1, I think the 49ers would be 2-0. Despite shaky pass protection and inconsistent run blocking, the 49ers offense did enough to give the defense all it needed before Mullens came in to get the save with an efficient performance.

Kinlaw, Hyder, AA, Tartt, and DJJ, all had moments of good play to spearhead the defensive effort in stopping the run and forcing Darnold into tough 3rd downs in the 2nd half. Kinlaw continues to impress. Spoon was shaky and I'm not just referring to the TD he gave up (awesome throw by Darnold). There was one play where he could have passed off coverage to make an INT but was slow in recognizing the route concept. Hoping it's some first game jitters and he improves. Saleh says the field CB (CB playing the larger part of the field) has to play with vision, and vision could have gotten Spoon an INT on that play as Spoon played field CB all game (Spoon hit the WR just as the WR made the catch).

Aiyuk struggled to win vertically although he had a couple snaps where he created separation by pushing off at the top of the route when running in breaking routes. He looks good with the ball in his hands, not allowing the first defender to make the tackle. There was an incomplete pass that some players thought was a fumble - Aiyuk picked it up and made a defender miss a tackle. On his second catch (slide concept) he also made a defender miss a tackle. Nice glimpse into what he brings as a ball carrier.

I'll first show how Gore was kept to a 3 yard average assuming jd will cover Jimmy's performance with his usual video(s). Good to get on the win column albeit versus a weak opponent.
  • thl408
Before showing the slants by the DL, I wanted to show the Jets first running play and the 49ers not slanting. Jets ran a ton of inside zone in this game. Shown are the gap responsibilities.
Jets put double TEs to one side and execute a 'fold' block (black lines) that allows for one TE to get to the second level. By putting two TEs to one side, it forces AA to widen his alignment and create more space in the interior, to help the inside zone running game. Notice the wider split between the Center and the RG. That works to create more interior spacing to attack the interior weakness of the wide9 front.

Combo blocks on DJJ and Thomas.

TE works his way up through the hole and blocks Kwon. Gore with a head of steam finds a little daylight for a nice +5 gain.

• thl408
This is the second running play of the game for the Jets. 49ers aren't going to wait around to get get gashed by the run game and will make the adjustment now. Last season, it took an entire drive to make this type of adjustment (Rams game).
Red lines are what the gap responsibilities would typically be if they were playing straight up. Yellow lines are what is actually going to happen as the 49ers bring KWilliams on a run blitz while slanting Bosa and Thomas into the adjacent gap.

Bosa's and Thomas's first step is sideways to attack the adjacent gap. This is done to blow up the blocking assignments/angles and force the Jets OL to adjust on the fly. As the LT and LG lunge forward expecting to hit the DLman across from them, the blocking angles are changed because of the slanting.

Bosa busts through, but Gore doing Gore things is able to sidestep the penetration. We're all too familiar with this as we've seen Gore make something out of nothing so many times as a 49er. Bosa has Gore in his crosshairs...

+7 because Gore still has that quick jump step. Schematically the slant worked, Gore was just able to conjure some Houdini magic.
Man i bet we have the best with Thl408 and JonnyDale for Film reviews
Share 49ersWebzone