There are 140 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
This play is on the Jets FG drive in the 1Q. 1st & 10.
Similar to the first play, the Jets put double TEs to one side of the formation. 49ers will slant DJJ and AA. Greenlaw is off the screen but he will take over for AA as the force edge defender since AA is slanting into the B gap.

DJJ show off his quickness for a fatty and doesn't allow the Center to get a clean block. Kinlaw stout holding his ground versus the combo block - compare this to what happened to Solly on the first play above (Gore +5 run).

All Gore sees is DJJ busting through and AA collapsing the edge.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Man i bet we have the best with Thl408 and JonnyDale for Film reviews

We're spoiled.
  • thl408
There are a few other plays where the 49ers slant beautifully to disrupt the Jets inside zone run game. But let's highlight two big plays in the 1st half.
More of the same. The 49ers slant Hyder (92), Givens (90), and bring KWilliams on a run blitz.

KWilliams does a good job beating that WR across his face and getting into the backfield.

Givens tosses the Center aside and Gore sees no daylight, only KWilliams and Givens.

Notice the first step for Hyder and Givens. No gain.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Where's 99 in those clips?
  • thl408
This is the very next play - 4th & 1. Gore took himself out after the previous play so in comes some RB named Adams. Kinlaw will slant into the weakside A gap and this will throw off the RG.

Kinlaw's first step causes the RG to also step towards Kinlaw. This opens up the B gap...

For Warner to attack and penetrate.

No gain. Turnover on downs.
  • thl408
This is the sack that got Jimmy hurt. It's not a good playcall versus the coverage and it's up to Jimmy to find the outlet or throw this away once he identified the coverage.
Curls vs Cover 2 Man

Jimmy takes the snap and is looking to his right the whole way. Cover 2 Man has the two deep safeties which allow for the CBs to get into a trail position - they know they have safety help over the top. The slot CBs will also play with inside leverage to prevent a WR from attacking the gap between the two safeties. This is what the CB on Bourne is doing. The defender on Reed is hands on and prevents Reed from getting into his route.

Bourne's Curl is not going to be open. Reed's route is greatly disrupted. If Jimmy wants to target Taylor, now is the time. But the problem with Taylor as an outside WR is that no CB will respect him as a deep threat. They will squat on some sort of in/out breaking route. Targeting Taylor on a throw to the far sideline is a risky situation.

QWilliams beats Tomlinson and is about to hit Jimmy. When Bourne and Reed curl their route, the CBs playing trail position is right in their face. Curl routes lose to CBs playing trail technique.

I don't know what Jimmy could have done here. Jet released into the flat as an outlet but he's not really open.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Can't blame Jimmy for taking coverage sacks - there's no one open down field in those clips.
  • thl408
Here is a similar route concept to the play that got Jimmy hurt, but it works here because the coverage is different.
3Q 2nd & 14
Curls vs Tampa2
Three routes that break at the same depth is designed to create a horizontal stretch. On the play Jimmy hurt his ankle, it was man coverage so there was no horizontal stretch.

Blues are deep zones. Oranges are underneath zones. The three highlighted routes work to create a 3vs2 and Mullens read is inside to outside (Bourne - Juice - Sanu).

The stretched defender here is the strongside Hook (orange). Mullens makes the read and delivers to Bourne.

+10. Just wanted to show how the play where Jimmy got hurt was not a good playcall versus the coverage on that particular play, but it is a good playcall here.
  • thl408
I'll wait for jd to put out his video before getting into any more offense. I'm assuming he will cover some of Jimmy's throws.
Christmas came early

Solly tries hard, but just doesn't have the size and strength to handle those double teams. Once Kinlaw puts that foot in the ground he is hard to move.
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the sack that got Jimmy hurt. It's not a good playcall versus the coverage and it's up to Jimmy to find the outlet or throw this away once he identified the coverage.
Curls vs Cover 2 Man

Jimmy takes the snap and is looking to his right the whole way. Cover 2 Man has the two deep safeties which allow for the CBs to get into a trail position - they know they have safety help over the top. The slot CBs will also play with inside leverage to prevent a WR from attacking the gap between the two safeties. This is what the CB on Bourne is doing. The defender on Reed is hands on and prevents Reed from getting into his route.

Bourne's Curl is not going to be open. Reed's route is greatly disrupted. If Jimmy wants to target Taylor, now is the time. But the problem with Taylor as an outside WR is that no CB will respect him as a deep threat. They will squat on some sort of in/out breaking route. Targeting Taylor on a throw to the far sideline is a risky situation.

QWilliams beats Tomlinson and is about to hit Jimmy. When Bourne and Reed curl their route, the CBs playing trail position is right in their face. Curl routes lose to CBs playing trail technique.

I don't know what Jimmy could have done here. Jet released into the flat as an outlet but he's not really open.

was the turf a potential reason or cause of t his injury too? or just bad luck. also f**k tomlinson
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
was the turf a potential reason or cause of t his injury too? or just bad luck. also f**k tomlinson

I doubt the turf had anything to do with the ankle injury. A 300 pounder hits you there, you get hurt even if you're standing on a floor surface made of newborn baby skin.
Great stuff, thl. I thought I was gonna get to a vid this week but I'm on vacation in the Smokey Mountains and it just ain't gonna happen.
You should totally show a couple plays: the Coleman 16 yarder, Jimmy reads the Tampa defender on a verticals concept and throws a dime.

The first Jordan Reed TD was the same play as Kittles epic 4th and 2 vs NO.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Solly tries hard, but just doesn't have the size and strength to handle those double teams. Once Kinlaw puts that foot in the ground he is hard to move.
Agreed.
Share 49ersWebzone