There are 99 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2020 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thank you for the thread. It's awesome to see break downs from niner fans, that know the team in n out, as opposed to casual observers on TV throwing out their two cents.
That smooth announcer voice!!!!
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 21,715
I'll end it with this play. This is the 1st down play on the final drive. 49ers have been running Curls on the outside but not targeting it. Here, they run a stutter go with Bourne, looking for the win.
ARI is in Quarters with a Solo call on the weakside (man coverage on Pettis).


The Solo call allows the backside safety to take Kittle and and the strongside safety to apply double coverage on Bourne.


Bourne chops his feet as if to curl his route. This gets the CB and safety to bite.


Jimmy mid windup. Looks like no separation but the CB is flat footed.


If Jimmy places this ball near the top of the 'N' of the NFC logo, we are celebrating.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Finally got it done, don't really have the energy to do a full write-up now as it's almost midnight my time. I got the whole thing done and uploaded to youtube only to have a 30 second clip flagged by the NFL so I had to re-edit that short section and spend another 45 minutes exporting and uploading. So, that being said, I'm headed to bed. Cheers!

I know you didn't cover that final play of the game to Taylor, but that was the 2nd time he did that extra "shake" at the top of his route before making his cut. Kyle commented on this and pointed that to a chemistry thing with him and Jimmy. earlier he did the same thing with what you showed when he needed to slant immediately scraping under (pettis or bourne? cant remember). when Taylor didnt even need to do that shake as if he was isolated in man. i think that is definitely a discrepancy in the lack of chemistry between the 2.

The 4th down play was very similar to a 3rd & 5 they failed to convert in the 1Q. jd touched on that 1Q play as ARI playing a trap coverage where the CB pretends to play man, follows the outside WR, only to drop off and rob the flat.


This is the 4th down play. Bourne raises his arm up to sell that he is open so that the CB doesn't drop off to rob the flat. Notice how Taylor runs this route a bit different than the 1Q play. He kinda takes a step sideways, then upfield, then breaks to the outside. Perhaps that's the extra wiggle Kyle was talking about. (I didn't listen to Kyle's presser).



Fourth down play art......answers why Pettis didn't get the look.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Finally got it done, don't really have the energy to do a full write-up now as it's almost midnight my time. I got the whole thing done and uploaded to youtube only to have a 30 second clip flagged by the NFL so I had to re-edit that short section and spend another 45 minutes exporting and uploading. So, that being said, I'm headed to bed. Cheers!

I know you didn't cover that final play of the game to Taylor, but that was the 2nd time he did that extra "shake" at the top of his route before making his cut. Kyle commented on this and pointed that to a chemistry thing with him and Jimmy. earlier he did the same thing with what you showed when he needed to slant immediately scraping under (pettis or bourne? cant remember). when Taylor didnt even need to do that shake as if he was isolated in man. i think that is definitely a discrepancy in the lack of chemistry between the 2.

The 4th down play was very similar to a 3rd & 5 they failed to convert in the 1Q. jd touched on that 1Q play as ARI playing a trap coverage where the CB pretends to play man, follows the outside WR, only to drop off and rob the flat.


This is the 4th down play. Bourne raises his arm up to sell that he is open so that the CB doesn't drop off to rob the flat. Notice how Taylor runs this route a bit different than the 1Q play. He kinda takes a step sideways, then upfield, then breaks to the outside. Perhaps that's the extra wiggle Kyle was talking about. (I didn't listen to Kyle's presser).



Fourth down play art......answers why Pettis didn't get the look.

This play doesn't matter as much, because the top option was open, so it makes sense that Jimmy didn't look Pettis's way. It was just a late throw and thrown way behind the receiver.
Originally posted by BumCity:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Finally got it done, don't really have the energy to do a full write-up now as it's almost midnight my time. I got the whole thing done and uploaded to youtube only to have a 30 second clip flagged by the NFL so I had to re-edit that short section and spend another 45 minutes exporting and uploading. So, that being said, I'm headed to bed. Cheers!

I know you didn't cover that final play of the game to Taylor, but that was the 2nd time he did that extra "shake" at the top of his route before making his cut. Kyle commented on this and pointed that to a chemistry thing with him and Jimmy. earlier he did the same thing with what you showed when he needed to slant immediately scraping under (pettis or bourne? cant remember). when Taylor didnt even need to do that shake as if he was isolated in man. i think that is definitely a discrepancy in the lack of chemistry between the 2.

The 4th down play was very similar to a 3rd & 5 they failed to convert in the 1Q. jd touched on that 1Q play as ARI playing a trap coverage where the CB pretends to play man, follows the outside WR, only to drop off and rob the flat.


This is the 4th down play. Bourne raises his arm up to sell that he is open so that the CB doesn't drop off to rob the flat. Notice how Taylor runs this route a bit different than the 1Q play. He kinda takes a step sideways, then upfield, then breaks to the outside. Perhaps that's the extra wiggle Kyle was talking about. (I didn't listen to Kyle's presser).



Fourth down play art......answers why Pettis didn't get the look.

This play doesn't matter as much, because the top option was open, so it makes sense that Jimmy didn't look Pettis's way. It was just a late throw and thrown way behind the receiver.

There's a lot of b***hing in Niner social media that jimmy messed this play up and that's just not the case. This playart explains that Pettis was Third in the progression and the Out is the primary. The primary was open and the primary gets the ball 100% of the time if he's open.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
That smooth announcer voice!!!!

Lol
Damn im no X'S and O guy but damn ... Bourne made him self Open on more then once.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 51,772
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Damn im no X'S and O guy but damn ... Bourne made him self Open on more then once.

Yeah, Jimmy missed a lot of wide open receivers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,178
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Damn im no X'S and O guy but damn ... Bourne made him self Open on more then once.

Agree.

Originally posted by Niners816:
There's a lot of b***hing in Niner social media that jimmy messed this play up and that's just not the case. This playart explains that Pettis was Third in the progression and the Out is the primary. The primary was open and the primary gets the ball 100% of the time if he's open.

Like i said before im no JohnyDale. damn though at least look of a lb or Safety in the progreesion......
Thanks Johnny.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,178
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Thank you for the thread. It's awesome to see break downs from niner fans, that know the team in n out, as opposed to casual observers on TV throwing out their two cents.

Agree and thanks again JD and all the other comments by THL and the other knowledgeable fans too numerous to thank.

JD
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
First,



Frustrating thing is, almost every defensive penalty is an automatic first down. Outside of offsides-related calls/illegal substitution, there is little to no breathing room for defensive mistakes in term of penalties.

Yep. The penalty on Mosely against Hopkins was a backbreaker. We had them pinned back too. Awful officiating all game
Easily the best part of WZ. Thanks, JonnyDel!!

Your efforts and attention to detail are appreciated!
Share 49erswebzone