LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Loss of player leadership

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
From all accounts even guys who left the 49ers. Like Sanders and Day .They all mentioned that the 49ers "Locker Room" was TIGHT!!Even back in 2017 when they started out 0-8 there was no Finger pointing.So yes Veteran Leadership is needed if not on the Field but for sure in the Locker Room .

P.s. yes i know Day and Sanders were not there in 2017

When that team started 0-8 the fact they were in close games and not giving up shows you the character this team has from coaching to the 53rd player
  • dj43
The locker room "tightness" has been mentioned often and from a wide range of sources. That all sounds very good and should set our collective mind to ease to an extent...however...

The one guy I worry about losing is Staley. He was such a warrior and so respected by everybody for a multitude of reason. You don't just replace a guy like that either as a player or as a leader. (Williams remains an unknown) The one area of the team that is still very much in flux, and needs veteran leadership and direction is the OL. McGlinchey, because of his close relationship with Joe, and because he plays a similar position, would seem to be the pick, however, his play has been spotty. LT, while a solid player, is not the kind of vocal presence Joe was. None of the others have had the time and exposure to establish themselves.

So, yes, there is a loss of leadership, IMO, and at a critical position. We shall see...
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not worried because when one leader leaves another usually emerges. Most younger players aren't going to step up when there's already a vet in that spot but once the vet leaves it's time for the young guy to emerge. Reading all the stuff about Mostert makes me think he could become one of the leaders.

Good take. With Staley and Buckner gone there will definitely be a passing of the torch as the young leaders step up.

This!

Also - this team has remained largely intact.

AND this team is "Battle-Tested" against the best the NFC has to offer.

I'm not worried at all about a leadership void.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not worried because when one leader leaves another usually emerges. Most younger players aren't going to step up when there's already a vet in that spot but once the vet leaves it's time for the young guy to emerge. Reading all the stuff about Mostert makes me think he could become one of the leaders.

Good take. With Staley and Buckner gone there will definitely be a passing of the torch as the young leaders step up.

This!

Also - this team has remained largely intact.

AND this team is "Battle-Tested" against the best the NFC has to offer.

I'm not worried at all about a leadership void.

But we have Trent and Bosa (who is no longer a rookie) plus Dee Ford & Armstead can lead as well.

I don't see a huge drop off in leadership. If anything you gained leadership by adding Trent to the O-line.
Share 49ersWebzone