LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Loss of player leadership

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
This offseason saw several leader types leave the team - Buckner, Staley, and Sanders. Overall, the team is young even though they have a Super Bowl run worth of experience under their belt. Kwon and Sherman can anchor the defense with Warner also emerging as a leader. On offense, Staley has been a glue player and Sanders brought much needed experience to the WR corp midway through last season. I'm not worried so much about gameday leadership and energy. Players like Kittle, Sherman, Kwon, and Jimmy can bring the energy level up before kickoff and during the game. It's the six non-gamedays where veteran professionalism can keep young players focused and show youngsters how to fully prepare.

Sanders leaving suddenly makes Travis Benjamin the eldest of the WR group but Benjamin doesn't have the clout to demand accountability. Buckner was a true professional on and off the field and that helps to create accountability. Staley was the epitome of being professional while also being silly and fun, which created a good lockerroom atmosphere. Young players see veterans like Staley and Sanders joke around while also performing at a high level and they see that it's possible to have that balance of fun while grinding.

Is this loss of veteran leadership overrated or could it play a factor in 2020?
I think a loss of veteran leadership is NOT overrated. However, loss of veteran leadership when there are plenty of other veteran leaders on the team is not a big deal IMO.
Sherman
Kittle
Jimmy
Kwon
Trent
Juice
Mostert
Ward
Armstead
Ford

Not worried. Welker can help the receivers and Kittle will lead.

What vet leadership did the Chiefs have last year that we dont now?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I think a loss of veteran leadership is NOT overrated. However, loss of veteran leadership when there are plenty of other veteran leaders on the team is not a big deal IMO.

Agreed. Lynch and Shanahan have put together a great locker room with many high character players who hold themselves and their teammates accountable.

Not having a real on field mentor for our WR's does worry me some, but I'm just hoping that our young guys like Deebo and KB were sponges around Sanders and can now take on that leadership role amongst that position group. They also have recently retired players coaching them in Welker and Austin, so they should be alright.
The only spot for concern for me is the WR group. Did Sander teach them enough for it to carry over from last year? The difference with and without Sanders was a stark contrast. With Deebo reaching out to Aiyuk and Bourne saying hes working harder than ever this off season, it seems to be off to a good beginning.

"And you, young Deebo; we shall watch your career with great interest" Palpatine
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think they'll be fine - there's enough veteran leadership to help the youngsters along.
Of equal importance is the quality of leadership we have at OC/HC and GM. Those two guys are just studs when it comes to leadership. I've heard a few complaints when JL was down on the field, but the DBs have to know a guy like that is someone to listen to, to learn from. But JL influences a lot more guys than just DBs. As opposed to our last GM, John L is on good terms with everybody. And who doesn't look up to and respect the guy who was one of the hardest hitters back then and helped his team win a SB? He is also extremely friendly, knows his football, and is a gentleman to boot. Compare him to our last GM and there is difference of nite and day. John seems more like one of the guys.

I wonder how many think of him as THE guy who helped turn the flaming garbage pile of a franchise into a SB team? Most of those guys are long gone...but there has to be some recognition that JL truly was the guy to get the 9ers untracked and back on the road to respectability and even maybe some FEAR by other teams. We are incredibly lucky to have the two guys we do leading the team. And they do offer locker room experience and leadership.

One other thing...both HC and GM are sharp. That isn't lost on players either, and both guys are looked up to. That's a huge plus
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 22, 2020 at 10:09 PM ]
They have 9 starters who are 28 or older, plus semi-starters Dee Ford and K'Waun Williams are also 28. They have enough veteran leadership,
I think we'll be fine. I expect Bucks "C" to go on either Warner or Kwons Jersey and Staleys on Trent Williams
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Veteran leadership is somewhat over rated. I'm not saying it's unimportant though. Leadership, I think is developed this way, - you as a player have to be a good player first before you become a leader, in my opinion. If you suck as a player, nobody who is more talented or has better stats would listen to you, no matter how great a personality you have. Emanuel, Frank Gore, Jimmy G, Kittle, Staley became leaders because they were good players first and held the others to a higher standard in all areas. I think that's how it goes. The guys who lead are first and foremost - the high producers on the team.

As for Doc's point about the HC and GM being great leaders, well - they really pick and choose who they pay a boatload of money to. I.e. Staley, (for sure Kittle), Jimmy, Sherman -- all are great players first, and then they have great character and great work ethic too. More important than leadership - I think - is the culture that the team has. Culture being defined simplistically as everybody pulling in one direction vs everybody for themselves. I think Culture, vs Leadership, is the more important one to have -- but don't get me wrong - leadership is a close second in my opinion.

Nuh bruh.
Our guys got plenty of playoff experience. They played in huge games. I see no reason why even our second and third year guys can't step up and be leaders. From all accounts, Bourne and Deebo seem the be the alphas and bar-setters for our receiving corp.

I'm not worried.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
We good
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Our guys got plenty of playoff experience. They played in huge games. I see no reason why even our second and third year guys can't step up and be leaders. From all accounts, Bourne and Deebo seem the be the alphas and bar-setters for our receiving corp.

I'm not worried.

This, the fact Deebo asked for Aiyuk's number the moment he was drafted was impressive and going over things with him and what to expect. Sanders was a huge influence in the wr room, now I have a soft spot for Sanders but hate he had to go to a bs organization with dumb ass fans like the Saints so I really can't cheer for him.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by thl408:
Veteran leadership is somewhat over rated. I'm not saying it's unimportant though. Leadership, I think is developed this way, - you as a player have to be a good player first before you become a leader, in my opinion. If you suck as a player, nobody who is more talented or has better stats would listen to you, no matter how great a personality you have. Emanuel, Frank Gore, Jimmy G, Kittle, Staley became leaders because they were good players first and held the others to a higher standard in all areas. I think that's how it goes. The guys who lead are first and foremost - the high producers on the team.

As for Doc's point about the HC and GM being great leaders, well - they really pick and choose who they pay a boatload of money to. I.e. Staley, (for sure Kittle), Jimmy, Sherman -- all are great players first, and then they have great character and great work ethic too. More important than leadership - I think - is the culture that the team has. Culture being defined simplistically as everybody pulling in one direction vs everybody for themselves. I think Culture, vs Leadership, is the more important one to have -- but don't get me wrong - leadership is a close second in my opinion.

Good point about Culture/leadership, and when we look back to change of ownership around 2000, we spent most of the next 17 hrs wandering around lost in the desert and not knowing how to get out. Aside from a brief stint of Harbaugh in his first two yrs here, we were without both leadership and culture. Looking back to then and looking at now, there is no question the 49ers "suddenly" have a culture and no question they have one helluva leadership. We had neither from 2000 to 2017. And culture really didn't get established until we improved by leaps and bounds when fans looked at both GM and HC as the reason for the 9ers suddenly becoming a great team once again.

That doesn't just happen. It took JL and KS three full yrs to establish success for the team...and by extension, develop a culture and acknowledged leadership . Lynch is the ONE guy who trouble shot the team, and made suggestions as to how to get back on track. He is truly a whole lot more than JUST a GM. And he hooked up with the hottest guy in offensive football, KS.

Even then it started off rocky, with a slick deal snagging the best LB in draft with Reuben. That actually set us back almost a yr, yet it was a good place to start...learn that you cannot cut corners and ignore a player who has a questionable moral code. After that both KS and JL were ultra careful to be super cautious of conduct, and being "good people" They both got snookered by Saban ...ONCE. And as the saying goes, " Once burned, twice shy" Well that was JL/KS after that really rocky initial start. Look at the guys up and down the roster now and you got a really high class, high intelligence, high moral code type player, who just so happen to also be great players. . And when that is what makes up your team, you have both leadership AND Culture.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 23, 2020 at 9:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone