LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Greenlaw is 10 times the tackler Kwon is. In fact, Kwon is a downright poor tackler imo.
Kwon shines in coverage, and I thought Greenlaw was shaky there to start the season and preseason. But he has instincts and really high football IQ and has been doing very well in coverage.

That interception intended for Hollister in the first seattle game - now I understand Hollister isnt exactly Kelce or anything, but Dre was behind Hollister, and made the pick fullyaware where the ball was. That was extremely impressive for a big LB who isnt supposed to be that good in coverage.

And that was just Greenlaw's rookie year. He is the future.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
That was extremely impressive for a big LB who isnt supposed to be that good in coverage.

Dre Greenlaw isn't big. He's 5'11" 237 lbs.

None of the 49ers LB's are 'big' by dinosaur standards, but they're all very athletic. It's required for this scheme.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 12, 2020 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Dre Greenlaw isn't big. He's 5'11" 237 lbs.

None of the 49ers LB's are 'big' by dinosaur standards, but they're all very athletic. It's required for this scheme.

right
[ Edited by the_dynasty on May 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM ]
Kwon is better. Dre is cheaper. If we're talking about playing time, I give Kwon the nod. If we're talking about only one to make the roster, give me Dre. More bang for your buck.
Dre has a signature play on his resume and watching him during the year he came up with others also. Let's see how he does in year two.
I think they both bring something different to the position. Alexander seems to be the 'if it moves, hit it' type. Not to say he would freelance and without smarts on the field. He's a wrecker. If he makes a couple of mistakes a game, he'll make it up with his fire on other plays.

Greenlaw, for right now, seems to be fundamentally sound in most areas within the defense.

I think, if you like LB, you would like both.
It's good to have depth. As soon as Fred Warner has to be extended is bye bye Kwon.
I don't think there's a big gab between Dre and Kwon. Pretty much Kwon is on the team because Foster busted.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I think Kwon, Is here for a reason. And it's not just as leadership. I remember he was a turnover monster. I also noticed a drop off in defense once he was injured. I know I can't be the only one. I like them both but we need to give him a chance before we send him away. When healthy he's a beast and I don't think anyone here can deny that. Plus that leadership is serious he is the leader of the linebackers. He gets them pumped up Warner does not.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
It's good to have depth. As soon as Fred Warner has to be extended is bye bye Kwon.
I don't think there's a big gab between Dre and Kwon. Pretty much Kwon is on the team because Foster busted.

That's ridiculous We got him because we had a hole at linebacker. And we needed turnovers. Other people have to remember that we got him because he was a turnover monster. And besides Sherman he is the biggest leader by far on this defense. And I would bet money he gets the defense way more energized than Sherman does
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
You know who I am going to f**king say.

Greenlaw. Easy choice for me. I think he's more instinctive and a better tackler. Greenlaw has a very high football IQ. The only edge I give Kwon is in coverage but Greenlaw could very easily close the gap there.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
Greenlaw. Easy choice for me. I think he's more instinctive and a better tackler. Greenlaw has a very high football IQ. The only edge I give Kwon is in coverage but Greenlaw could very easily close the gap there.

Once again I'll make the statement He's like the Draymond Green of this defense. Worth more from stats you will never see. If the guy can stay healthy he's way better than greenlaw. I guess everybody here forgot the statement John Lynch and Kyle Shannon had about him when they signed him. 49ers biggest weaknesses were turnovers and sacks. Why do you think they brought in Alexander and deford. I understand the health concerns, but his impact is more than just what he is capable of doing physically. But again I noticed the defense fall off a little bit after he got injured
[ Edited by fan49 on May 12, 2020 at 11:16 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SFrush:

Once again I'll make the statement He's like the Draymond Green of this defense. Worth more from stats you will never see. If the guy can stay healthy he's way better than greenlaw. I guess everybody here forgot the statement John Lynch and Kyle Shannon had about him when they signed him. 49ers biggest weaknesses were turnovers and sacks. Why do you think they brought in Alexander and deford. I understand the health concerns, but his impact is more than just what he is capable of doing physically. But again I noticed the defense fall off a little bit after he got injured

I think that's far fetched. If anything I would argue that comparison better describes Warner. Warner plays a much bigger hand in our communication on defense than Kwon. One of the flaws (PFF) on Kwon in Tampa Bay was too many missed tackles. I don't have those concerns with Greenlaw. The moment Greenlaw stepped in to replace Kwon he never looked overwhelmed on the field.
makes me wonder if we move on from kwon and dee ford and sign Clooney how things would look?
They excel at different things so it's tough to say who's better. However, Greenlaw is younger and cheaper, and so I think he should start since he's our future. We probably move on from Kwon after this season but take advantage of having 3 stud LBs this years, since injuries are bound to happen.
[ Edited by S41MAN on May 13, 2020 at 1:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone