LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 182 users in the forums

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Originally posted by SF9er05:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Kwon is the starting WILL as Shanahan said but the guy is way too unbalanced between coverage (great) and run support (missed tackles) while Dre is more even between both.

Also, Kwon hasn´t shown he can stay healthy.

And Greenlaw starts at SAM in the base we have all three on the field, in the Nickel typically passing situations is where the conundrum appears to be.

No conundrum, that's only among this board, Kwon is better in coverage and the starter as stated by the Head coach. In any case It's a good problem to have 3 good backers, never understood all the cut Kwon people here
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Kwon is the starting WILL as Shanahan said but the guy is way too unbalanced between coverage (great) and run support (missed tackles) while Dre is more even between both.

Also, Kwon hasn´t shown he can stay healthy.

And Greenlaw starts at SAM in the base we have all three on the field, in the Nickel typically passing situations is where the conundrum appears to be.

No conundrum, that's only among this board, Kwon is better in coverage and the starter as stated by the Head coach. In any case It's a good problem to have 3 good backers, never understood all the cut Kwon people here

Exactly which is why he stays on the field when we are in Nickel. However one of the great issues to have is when you have 3 LBs who can run/cover, you dont always have to sacrifice moving from the base to the Nickel, making yourself more susceptible to the run. I also dont think people realize all three are on the field together unlike the old 3-4 where you have two traditional backers flanked by DE's at OLB in the 4-3 they are all on the field. The responsibilities change so you may not see the impact of lets say Greenlaw playing SAM vs. WILL.
Exactly which is why he stays on the field when we are in Nickel. However one of the great issues to have is when you have 3 LBs who can run/cover, you dont always have to sacrifice moving from the base to the Nickel, making yourself more susceptible to the run. I also dont think people realize all three are on the field together unlike the old 3-4 where you have two traditional backers flanked by DE's at OLB in the 4-3 they are all on the field. The responsibilities change so you may not see the impact of lets say Greenlaw playing SAM vs. WILL.

Great point and we might just see it, especially if Kwuan takes some time to fully recover

Great point and we might just see it, especially if Kwuan takes some time to fully recover

I think Kwon should be good to go, he came back early in the playoffs because of the opportunity to help seal the deal and get to the Superbowl and play in the Superbowl which is expected. I dont know what player would dismiss the chance to play the game on the biggest stage. We knew he was truly about 70-75% from the way he was playing vs. when he started out the year at 100%.

I think Kwon should be good to go, he came back early in the playoffs because of the opportunity to help seal the deal and get to the Superbowl and play in the Superbowl which is expected. I dont know what player would dismiss the chance to play the game on the biggest stage. We knew he was truly about 70-75% from the way he was playing vs. when he started out the year at 100%.

Look at the quality of teams we were playing when he was healthy vs the teams we played in the playoffs, I get not wanting to miss the biggest game of your life but if it hurts the team, which it did big time, you have to do the right thing.
  • thl408

Staying in base (3LBs) when the offense puts out 3 WRs is okay if it's a run/pass neutral down, but if it's an obvious passing down the 49ers would be better served to remove a LB and play KWilliams for a better matchup. Kwon and Dre can cover but they are still LBs and asking them to cover someone like TLockett or LFitzgerald in the slot is a win for the offense.

The starter at WILL is usually the LB that is part of nickel, which is why I created this thread. According to Kyle, it appears the answer to the question is Kwon.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Kwon is the heart and soul of this defense. He sets the tone and brings the energy

I feel like this, along with the leadership is why there is no camp competition.
Originally posted by thl408:

Staying in base (3LBs) when the offense puts out 3 WRs is okay if it's a run/pass neutral down, but if it's an obvious passing down the 49ers would be better served to remove a LB and play KWilliams for a better matchup. Kwon and Dre can cover but they are still LBs and asking them to cover someone like TLockett or LFitzgerald in the slot is a win for the offense.

The starter at WILL is usually the LB that is part of nickel, which is why I created this thread. According to Kyle, it appears the answer to the question is Kwon.

Of course which is why you have the Nickel defense to bring in a guy more apt to cover WRs. however it also benefits with teams with Larger Slots or Athletic Tight ends, if you have a guy with similar size that can cover it bodes well for you in minimizing the mismatch. The clear benefit of 3 LBs who can cover is that which you mentioned on Run/Pass neutral situations you have personnel that can adjust to either. But yes on Obvious passing downs you would rather insert a corner. What my response is in regards to is the starting role where Kwon starts at Will and Greenlaw starts at Sam, so its not a question of who starts its more a question of who stays on the field for passing downs.
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:

Look at the quality of teams we were playing when he was healthy vs the teams we played in the playoffs, I get not wanting to miss the biggest game of your life but if it hurts the team, which it did big time, you have to do the right thing.

Its easy to say, however when you are a competitor and this is the biggest game of your life, one which you are not guaranteed to be apart of again. Which is funny when some people speak about returning to the Superbowl as if its the playoffs, the chances to reach it again are slim to none, we have been fortunate to have been to 7 in the last 40 years and that in itself shows why a player wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play. Honestly the truth is its on the coaches to judge and determine if a player is ready. Should Kwon have played? debatable however he wasnt the cause of the loss or reason again that was coaching.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Kwon is better but injury prone and expensive. In a perfect world, we could trade Kwon for cap space and draft picks and go with Greenlaw.

Every NFL player is injury prone, they all get injured. "Injury prone" the most overused and misused term in football.

Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Kwon is better but injury prone and expensive. In a perfect world, we could trade Kwon for cap space and draft picks and go with Greenlaw.

Every NFL player is injury prone, they all get injured. "Injury prone" the most overused and misused term in football.

unless they're injury prone.
Share 49ersWebzone