There are 244 users in the forums

Are the Niners better of worse than their Super Bowl team after the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
We're younger and better - Williams and Aiyuk are an upgrade over Staley and Sanders.
I see.

The rookie who has not played a snap in professional football is better than 2 time all pro and perrenniel top 15 league leading emmanuel sanders.

got it.

The odds of aiyuk having an AV rating anywhere close to sanders is less than 10%. Probably much much less.

But, we are definitely younger.
Originally posted by Jiks:
I'd say slightly worse. The problem is teams like Seattle and LAR stayed the same and AZ got a lot better. So the division got better and we took a step back. Though I like Kinlaw and Aiyuk they are no Defo or Sanders for a few years.

how did the rams stay the same?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I wouldn't say they're better. I mean it's pretty freaking hard to be better following a super bowl.

That said they got younger and cheaper. They have young guys who will improve.

SF was one of the most injured teams last yr as well.

That's definitely the wild card here. Imagine if McKinnon and Hurd are 100%. Kyle could literally, redesign his game plans to feature mismatches like this in the passing game. And if Ford can give you 700 high quality snaps. Or even Verrett 100% healthy and getting back to form.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Originally posted by Jiks:
I'd say slightly worse. The problem is teams like Seattle and LAR stayed the same and AZ got a lot better. So the division got better and we took a step back. Though I like Kinlaw and Aiyuk they are no Defo or Sanders for a few years.

how did the rams stay the same?

Rams for sure got worse, they lost a lot of guys.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We're younger and better - Williams and Aiyuk are an upgrade over Staley and Sanders.
I see.

The rookie who has not played a snap in professional football is better than 2 time all pro and perrenniel top 15 league leading emmanuel sanders.

got it.

The odds of aiyuk having an AV rating anywhere close to sanders is less than 10%. Probably much much less.

Sorry, I'm just an optimist. I think Williams and Aiyuk will have great seasons.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2020 at 5:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I wouldn't say they're better. I mean it's pretty freaking hard to be better following a super bowl.

That said they got younger and cheaper. They have young guys who will improve.

SF was one of the most injured teams last yr as well.

That's definitely the wild card here. Imagine if McKinnon and Hurd are 100%. Kyle could literally, redesign his game plans to feature mismatches like this in the passing game. And if Ford can give you 700 high quality snaps. Or even Verrett 100% healthy and getting back to form.

Yup even guys who were just hurt and still played or only missed a couple games.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I see.

got it.

Sorry, I'm just an optimist. I think Williams and Aiyuk will have great seasons.

I hope so too. But you have to recognize this is another unconventional, off-schedule draft impulse from Kyle. Stop trying to cover for the guy. I love the fact that he is confident enough in his own understanding of the game to pull stuff like this. And after having thought a lot about it I have come to the conclusion that we must LET KYLE BE KYLE. Because, here we are right? In the Super Bowl because of this guy primarily.

But at some point he has to think about the bigger picture and the cost to the team if things don't work out. He can't draft at 31 the way he can at 2, where a second rounder is basically still a first, and so on down the line.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Williams is an upgrade over Staley, Sanders for sure is better than Aiyuk now but at least with Aiyuk we have him here the offseason and for the first 6 games of the season unlike Sanders.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Yes.

No

Maybe so
I believe we'll be better due to the fact we'll have a ton of guys coming back from Injured Reserve.

Jimmy also having another year under his belt in Shannys system too.

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Williams is an upgrade over Staley...

Can we stop with this narrative, please?

Staley played at a top 5 level last year despite battling injuries. Trent Williams hasn't played football in how many months? 18?

When they both are healthy, they have near identical production. At this point let's just pray Williams, with no off season here, can come in and play up to Staley's departure level and his body holds for 19 games.
I see 19-0 in our future
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Williams is an upgrade over Staley...

Can we stop with this narrative, please?

Staley played at a top 5 level last year despite battling injuries. Trent Williams hasn't played football in how many months? 18?

When they both are healthy, they have near identical production. At this point let's just pray Williams, with no off season here, can come in and play up to Staley's departure level and his body holds for 19 games.

Yeah, I agree - Williams does have to show that he's back where he left off.
If Williams plays at his normal pro bowl level and the rooks are studs this year and all the players who were injured come back healthy, we are definitely in the hunt.
I would say most here wouldn't have said last year that we were better after the draft.

Coming off a terrible season and we got an injury prone edge, head scratchers for WR, backup LB and a punter.

Well we all know how that turned out!

Can't only judge a book by its cover. This draft does look more interesting and I'm more liable to pick up this book because of its cover.

This was an amazing draft to watch. There was plenty of drama.

If Kinlaw is 75% of Bucks production in his first year it's a win.

If Aiyuk produces as much as Sanders, it's a win.

Jennings and Hurd were teammates at Tennessee. Already familiarity, both guys have a chance to contribute. Both have some aggressiveness.

TW fixes what could have been a monster hole.

I'm excited for this season and yes, I feel like this team got better. We will see.
Share 49ersWebzone