LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Are the Niners better of worse than their Super Bowl team after the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A lot of people forget that the Niners played t he Super Bowl with 14 players on IR last year, not to mention, Kwon, Ford, Person, and Tartt weren't 100%. So factoring that in, are the Niners a better team after draft weekend?

Players on the Super Bowl roster no longer on the team:

Buckner
Sanders
Staley
Person
Day
Brieda
Toilolo
Zettle
Earl Mitchell
Elijah Lee
Jordan Mathews
(I didn't include Goodwin and Celek because they were unavailable during the Super Bowl)

Players added or who were unavailable for the Super Bowl:

Kinlaw
Aiyuk
Trent Williams
McKivitz
Woerner
Jennings
Compton
Trent Taylor
Julian Taylor
Hurd
Verrett
Blair
DJ Jones
Shon Coleman
Richburg
Harris
McKinnon
Street
Travis Benjamin
Kerry Hyder
Joe Walker
Plus the UDFAs and any other bargain FAs or vets released after the draft. Also, Moore was unavailable for the Super Bowl is still unsigned and could be brought back.

I'd say the 2020 Niners are better than that Super Bowl team as a whole, not to mention, they are a young team that should improve with age, experience, and another year in the system, (Only lost one coach in woods) Hopefully they are luckier with injuries this year than they were last year.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Yes.
Subjective-but we are in good position to be better for a long time.
Nice thread. I disagree that we're better next year and the reason is Buck. I have high hopes for Kinlaw but I think it's a stretch to think he's anything but a big downgrade as a rookie.

I have huge hopes for the future though, this team is absolutely being built in the right way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we're the only team who has managed to trade down one spot, and we've done it twice!

The Trent Williams trade may go down as one of the best of all time, got a premier LT for pittance.
Are Kinlaw, Aiyuk, and Trent better than Buck, Sanders, and Staley. Probably not, atleast not yet but that doesn't mean our team will be worse. You never know how guys will progress. We have a lot of young talent. We have young guys like Deebo, Warner, Mcglinchey, Bosa, Kwon, Greenlaw who can be pro bowl or even all pro next year. They not only have the talent but have shown a progression to where it wouldn't surprise anyone see them reach that level. There's even more young guys we have who could get there too (Witherspoon, E-Man, DJ, Moestert, Brunskill etc) but let's not even use them as examples.

There's so many variables that go into whether or not we are a better team, it's not as simple as lose 2 studs and draft 2 question marks = not as good.
- If multiple of our young guys take the next step we could easily be better
- If Jimmy goes from a top 10-12 QB to a top 5-8 QB
- If we finally have some injury luck. Do I even need to remind you the amount of good players missed significant time last year for us?

Anyway there several other ways we could end up a better team. I personally think we will end up being a better overall team because we have sooo many YOUNG players that I think are between very good and superstar. We are also getting some injured guys back ( Hurd, Taylor, DJ, Richburg, McKinnon ). Lastly and most importantly I think Jimmy will take the next step in becoming a better QB.

But even if all these things happen and we are a better team, it doesn't necessarily mean we will win the super bowl. You need a little luck too, the best overall team doesn't always end up winning the super bowl. Just ask Eli Manning.
With the fact they are healthier right now than the super bowl game i would say better
but from a roster point, no
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Injuries will always happen but if we are healthier this year I think we have the potential to be better.

McKinnon, Taylor and Hurd will be huge additions to the offense and these guys know the playbook inside out. It's clear Shanahan and Lynch feel they upgraded at RG and I believe Trent Willians at this point will be better than 2019 Staley (love Staley don't get me wrong). Along with development of Deebo and Aiyuk, and Jimmy another year removed from his injury I like where we are offensively.

Defensively we need Kinlaw to come along quickly, Thomas, Taylor and Street to improve. I think the defense will initially be a little "worse" (still top 10) but by the end of the season should be looking real good. Ford and Tartt being healthy is huge for us.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
A lot of people forget that the Niners played t he Super Bowl with 14 players on IR last year, not to mention, Kwon, Ford, Person, and Tartt weren't 100%. So factoring that in, are the Niners a better team after draft weekend?

Players on the Super Bowl roster no longer on the team:

Buckner
Sanders
Staley
Person
Day
Brieda
Toilolo
Zettle
Earl Mitchell
Elijah Lee
Jordan Mathews
(I didn't include Goodwin and Celek because they were unavailable during the Super Bowl)

Players added or who were unavailable for the Super Bowl:

Kinlaw
Aiyuk
Trent Williams
McKivitz
Woerner
Jennings
Compton
Trent Taylor
Julian Taylor
Hurd
Verrett
Blair
DJ Jones
Shon Coleman
Richburg
Harris
McKinnon
Street
Travis Benjamin
Kerry Hyder
Joe Walker
Plus the UDFAs and any other bargain FAs or vets released after the draft. Also, Moore was unavailable for the Super Bowl is still unsigned and could be brought back.

I'd say the 2020 Niners are better than that Super Bowl team as a whole, not to mention, they are a young team that should improve with age, experience, and another year in the system, (Only lost one coach in woods) Hopefully they are luckier with injuries this year than they were last year.

Unknown. Depends on the performance of the first three kids on the list, and plenty of question marks down it too. Too many to speculate really. Need to see how the vets come back from injuries.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We're younger and better - Williams and Aiyuk are an upgrade over Staley and Sanders.
According to some here if Hurd is healthy this will be the greatest receiving corps of all time.

• Jiks
I'd say slightly worse. The problem is teams like Seattle and LAR stayed the same and AZ got a lot better. So the division got better and we took a step back. Though I like Kinlaw and Aiyuk they are no Defo or Sanders for a few years.
We filled the spots of the mains guys we lost (Buckner, Sanders and Staley) with younger and cheaper players. How they will pan out production wise, remains to be seen.
We add Hurd and Taylor to the receiving group.
Several starters last year had their first year in the team or league. Now they will have more experience under their belt.
Questionable positions:
- CB - Moseley should only improve after last year. Sherman is the big question. Depth is also a bit of a question mark.
- IOL - Health is the main concern.

We are younger, we will have some cap space and almost all out picks next year (we lost a 3rd and might get a compensatory 4th for Sanders).
Overall felling pretty good about this off-season.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Yes.

No
Definitely not better but cheaper with more long term security. And the 'chance' to be better if all the rookies play up to their expectations.

The next level in this excellent topic and post is to compare our roster to our top competitors as our ultimate goal, is to WIN the Superbowl this time around.

Dallas
Green Bay
Minnesota
Chicago
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
Seattle
Arizona

What does give us a chance to be better is continuity and a return of 16 players (some key) from injuries...not our acquisitions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2020 at 5:50 AM ]
I wouldn't say they're better. I mean it's pretty freaking hard to be better following a super bowl.

That said they got younger and cheaper. They have young guys who will improve.

SF was one of the most injured teams last yr as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 26, 2020 at 5:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone