Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 711 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a Quitter! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Unless there is a financial incentive for the 49ers not to release Aiyuk, I personally would just release him and move on. He's nothing but a distraction and, possibly, a cancer on your players with his attitude. Yeah maybe its most beneficial to do certain things, or wait for Aiyuk to show up, or whatever, but to what end? Just cut him loose and make him somebody else's problem. Guys like this don't just suddenly go boy scout.

It's uncharacteristic of the 49ers to do this but this is beyond the money, or being petty… It is setting a standard. We need to show this behavior will not allow you to get your way.
I don't see what's uncharacteristic?

BA hasn't officially said release me or shown up and the 49ers have moved on since there's really nothing they need to do as of now
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Unless there is a financial incentive for the 49ers not to release Aiyuk, I personally would just release him and move on. He's nothing but a distraction and, possibly, a cancer on your players with his attitude. Yeah maybe its most beneficial to do certain things, or wait for Aiyuk to show up, or whatever, but to what end? Just cut him loose and make him somebody else's problem. Guys like this don't just suddenly go boy scout.

It's uncharacteristic of the 49ers to do this but this is beyond the money, or being petty… It is setting a standard. We need to show this behavior will not allow you to get your way.
I don't see what's uncharacteristic?

BA hasn't officially said release me or shown up and the 49ers have moved on since there's really nothing they need to do as of now

It's uncharacteristic in the sense that the 9ers don't keep toxic players on the team and respectfully part ways. The only other ones I can think of is Javon Kinlaw maybe Rueben Foster? A huge philosophy of the 49ers is to build a "gold standard culture". Having this circus hanging over the teams head going into the season is uncharacteristic
[ Edited by Since07 on Jun 9, 2026 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I still have no idea what the hell even happened here. Dude was becoming one of the best WRs in the league got hurt and went crazy

Meh. He was alright. He wasn't going to be anywhere near Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, or even Jaylen Waddle status. IMO elite WR # 2, but average # 1

I disagree in 23 he was just as good as those guys. 7th in the league in yads (1342) 36th in the league in targets (105) 2nd in the league in Y/R (17.9) 3rd in the league in success rate. He showed a ton of improvement over his 22 campaign and was a huge reason the 49ers and Purdy were as successful as they were that year. He was well on his way to becoming what many of us thought he was going to be. Crazy clean route running. It's a shame we are here now.
So I guess what he means by "they're afraid of the belt" is the Niners are scared he's gonna whip their ass once he gets on another team or in this case Washington specifically? Oh yeah I'm sure they're really scared, whatever dude. The fact is BA is not a liability being on the Niners right now or off the team isn't a liability either, it just isn't. Slight correction, actually he is more of a liability if he's off the roster without getting anything whatsoever in return for him leaving the team.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Jun 9, 2026 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I still have no idea what the hell even happened here. Dude was becoming one of the best WRs in the league got hurt and went crazy

Meh. He was alright. He wasn't going to be anywhere near Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, or even Jaylen Waddle status. IMO elite WR # 2, but average # 1

I disagree in 23 he was just as good as those guys. 7th in the league in yads (1342) 36th in the league in targets (105) 2nd in the league in Y/R (17.9) 3rd in the league in success rate. He showed a ton of improvement over his 22 campaign and was a huge reason the 49ers and Purdy were as successful as they were that year. He was well on his way to becoming what many of us thought he was going to be. Crazy clean route running. It's a shame we are here now.

No he wasnt.
If he doesn't show up for training camp, would it be a possibility we appeal to the league to void his contract entirely with no cap hit? I suppose it would be a legal battle and the nflpa would be involved as well but I don't see how a player just flat out quits on a team with an overwhelming amount of evidence trying to play for another team under contract
Originally posted by Since07:
If he doesn't show up for training camp, would it be a possibility we appeal to the league to void his contract entirely with no cap hit? I suppose it would be a legal battle and the nflpa would be involved as well but I don't see how a player just flat out quits on a team with an overwhelming amount of evidence trying to play for another team under contract

Nope.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Since07:
If he doesn't show up for training camp, would it be a possibility we appeal to the league to void his contract entirely with no cap hit? I suppose it would be a legal battle and the nflpa would be involved as well but I don't see how a player just flat out quits on a team with an overwhelming amount of evidence trying to play for another team under contract

Nope.
A contract is a contract. I'm sure there's some fine print if someone doesn't abide or completely vanishes from the agreed upon terms
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
A contract is a contract. I'm sure there's some fine print if someone doesn't abide or completely vanishes from the agreed upon terms

Yea there is, they can begin to clawback the prorated portions of bonus(es) in each season he's with the team provided he doesn't report.

The 49ers will still face cap charges for money that was already paid (and spread over the life of the contract) and they will not get any credit for the portions they clawback until they actually receive it.

As for the rest of his contract, none of it is guaranteed so when he's released/traded it goes away.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
A contract is a contract. I'm sure there's some fine print if someone doesn't abide or completely vanishes from the agreed upon terms

Yea there is, they can begin to clawback the prorated portions of bonus(es) in each season he's with the team provided he doesn't report.

The 49ers will still face cap charges for money that was already paid (and spread over the life of the contract) and they will not get any credit for the portions they clawback until they actually receive it.

As for the rest of his contract, none of it is guaranteed so when he's released/traded it goes away.
Sportac says we will accrue more dead cap on top of the 12m already earmarked this year ?

if true, that's why I feel we won't release him until absolutely necessary
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Sportac says we will accrue more dead cap on top of the 12m already earmarked this year ?

if true, that's why I feel we won't release him until absolutely necessary

To keep it as simple as possible, we have a 29 million dollar dead cap charge that would be spread over this season and next (post 6/1 release/trade). 13m this season, the rest next year. Had we released him before 6/1 (without a post 6/1 designation) we would taken that entire hit this season.

If he were to stay on the left squad list and never report for the remainder of his contract they could reduce that number with clawbacks, but not eliminate it completely.

It's extremely unlikely to play out this way given available information. Not even factoring that some of his contract details are murky, like his option bonus on 9/1.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jun 9, 2026 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Since07:
If he doesn't show up for training camp, would it be a possibility we appeal to the league to void his contract entirely with no cap hit? I suppose it would be a legal battle and the nflpa would be involved as well but I don't see how a player just flat out quits on a team with an overwhelming amount of evidence trying to play for another team under contract

I like that idea, his contract becomes entirely null and void if he doesn't report to TC. Of course it won't happen but we can hope and dream can't we.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I still have no idea what the hell even happened here. Dude was becoming one of the best WRs in the league got hurt and went crazy

Meh. He was alright. He wasn't going to be anywhere near Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, or even Jaylen Waddle status. IMO elite WR # 2, but average # 1

I disagree in 23 he was just as good as those guys. 7th in the league in yads (1342) 36th in the league in targets (105) 2nd in the league in Y/R (17.9) 3rd in the league in success rate. He showed a ton of improvement over his 22 campaign and was a huge reason the 49ers and Purdy were as successful as they were that year. He was well on his way to becoming what many of us thought he was going to be. Crazy clean route running. It's a shame we are here now.

No he wasnt.

I agree. He was really good and super efficient in his production, but a huge part of that was Brock hitting his stride having a full season and peak CMC. You had Kittle, who was first team all pro- that offense was humming and Aiyuk was a piece. Definitely receiver 1 in our offense but unless he's with an elite playcaller and has some luck- I doubt he reaches that JJ, Chase, JSN level.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I still have no idea what the hell even happened here. Dude was becoming one of the best WRs in the league got hurt and went crazy

Meh. He was alright. He wasn't going to be anywhere near Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, or even Jaylen Waddle status. IMO elite WR # 2, but average # 1

I disagree in 23 he was just as good as those guys. 7th in the league in yads (1342) 36th in the league in targets (105) 2nd in the league in Y/R (17.9) 3rd in the league in success rate. He showed a ton of improvement over his 22 campaign and was a huge reason the 49ers and Purdy were as successful as they were that year. He was well on his way to becoming what many of us thought he was going to be. Crazy clean route running. It's a shame we are here now.

No he wasnt.

I agree. He was really good and super efficient in his production, but a huge part of that was Brock hitting his stride having a full season and peak CMC. You had Kittle, who was first team all pro- that offense was humming and Aiyuk was a piece. Definitely receiver 1 in our offense but unless he's with an elite playcaller and has some luck- I doubt he reaches that JJ, Chase, JSN level.

Yeah, it sucks that we are here now. I'm sure they all played off one another. CMC had running lanes because the pass had to be respected because Brock was rolling, Kittle and Yuk were constantly getting open in the secondary and Deebo was still doing Deebo things. IMO that was peak KS 49ers offense and while they will still be very very good I don't think we will see that again. I was really high on YUK and I felt like he was a true #1 here but it's all history now.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,649
This guy is a clown and I wish nothing but injuries and regret going foward.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone