There are 217 users in the forums

Will any of Jerry Rice's major records be broken? (From the front page)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Eventually yes.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Eventually yes.

I would have thought it would have happened by now. The NFL wants scoring up as high as humanly possible.
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Wow... Those are some killer stats wink wink

Jerry Rice scored an all-time 208 career touchdowns, the most in NFL history. 197 receiving, 10 rushing and one fumble recovery. His record will NEVER be broken.
It is an interesting question.

Fitz has a shot at receptions, and i think hopkins will help him.

I think calvin johnson was THE threat for all of his records, but what got him is what i think is going to hurt a lot of peoples quest. Money, the man viewed his future and felt he did not need to play anymore and risk the injury accumulation.

But i am just not sure i view many careers going much past 10yrs anymore.
There's no chance his records will ever be broken as players these days will retire earlier and younger in fear of getting CTE
Originally posted by domingo:
Jerry Rice scored an all-time 208 career touchdowns, the most in NFL history. 197 receiving, 10 rushing and one fumble recovery. His record will NEVER be broken.

Having two HoF QBs in their prime throwing to him certainly helped. And I guess Steve Bono helped too.
Originally posted by domingo:

I would never say never with more games being tacked on and NFL adjusting the rules to favor the offense more and more but it would take an elite player in a terrific situation with major longevity and drive.

It could happen...if it does I hope that guy is a 49er for the bulk or all of his career.
Players make so much money now that the chances of them playing long enough are very slim. When they make that much why would they continue to play and risk serious injury with all they know now about head trauma. On top of that, Jerry had a unique desire to be the best that only comes around every decade or so. His workout routine carried over to the field.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM ]
To put it in context, Jerry broke the TD record in less than 9 seasons worth of games (only 12 games in 87).

Gonna have to average 14 TD's a year over a 15 year career to break it. Tha'ts a difficult mountain.

No. Not unless they bring in a 24 game season and make tackling illegal.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
To put it in context, Jerry broke the TD record in less than 9 seasons worth of games (only 12 games in 87).

Gonna have to average 14 TD's a year over a 15 year career to break it. Tha'ts a difficult mountain.

and people forget the time he missed with the injury. sapp . he really would have padded those stats. he made elvis look respectable
No way now that fitzy wont play next year.

Without the injury we would have seen the real jerry for another 3 years. The numbers would be even more astronomical.
  • thl408
Originally posted by glorydayz:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/04/will-any-of-jerry-rices-major-records-be-broken/

This is a very interesting article!

It is crazy to think that a WR drafted in the 1980's is sitting at the top with all of the spread offense concepts, all out passing attacks, and rules changes that all support the passing game.

With that said, do you guys thinks that passing defenses have also gotten better due to the all out passing attacks? Could this be the reason JR's records haven't been threatened? DB's now get paid well, and pass rushers are almost paid like QB's.

Your Thoughts as to how a WR from the 1980's (our very own Jerry Rice) still sits at the top of all of the major receiving records and it's really not even close!

I think what benefits Rice the most is that as a rookie, he had an established QB in place that was producing. Then when that QB went away, there was another HoF QB that took over. Then when he left the 49ers, he played with an MVP QB (Gannon). So on top of being the best at his position, he played with top QBs his entire career.
His TD record is near untouchable. RBs can't play that long and WRs need to be with a top QB from beginning to end.

Good point about how defenses are better nowadays. There are known strategic ways to defend the WCO that in 1985, defenses were still adjusting to. The biggest change imo is the athleticism of today's LBs to defend the short area of the field. The early WCO feasted on slow LBs.
If Cal Ripkin can break Lou Gehrig's record, sure, any record can be broken.
Share 49ersWebzone