LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

York ownership vs Debartolo ownership results.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yorks:

Super Bowls.........0 - 2...........0.000 winning percentage.

Debartolo:

Super Bowls..........5 - 0.........1.000 winning percentage.

You can only get so far with the York family. Whether it be Jed, Denise or John. They can get you some NFC Championship trophies. But that's as far as it goes. You are not going to win the Super Bowl with that. Eddie Debartolo can win you the Super Bowl. Winning the NFC is not where he stops.

This is about the time the Yorks get into fights with people and don't want to pay raises or extensions (not even sure they deserve it to be honest). Then dismantle the team for a Ron Jeremy look alike. I mean come on here lets be honest. The Yorks have absolutely sucked for 90% of 20 years. They sometimes get so bad for so long that they get enough high draft picks in a row to turn it around. But they can get you a loss in the NFC Championship or a loss in the Super Bowl. But going beyond that? I just don't see it. They got a coach who doesn't know how to play call in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl and proved it twice. With Atlanta and with the 49ers too. He goes away from his strength and best opportunity to win. He plays to his weakness in the end.

So what are we going to do here? I don't see how you can win with them. They best you can hope for is to win the NFC. That only happens after being so bad for so long they stockpile enough high first round picks to make that happen. Which they actually did twice. I just don't see them taking the next step. I doubt very much that they win a Super Bowl.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 2, 2020 at 10:45 PM ]
DeBartolo was the beneficiary of having Ronald Reagan as president. California leaned conservative in the 80s.

When 9/11 happened, the "Patriots" dynasty started to take affect. Probably to reinvigorate America's nationalism in the face of terrorists.

When Hurricane Katrina happened, the New Orleans Saints somehow win a Superbowl ring. Are these all coincidences?
It must be the Candlestick Curse...

Originally posted by dangerbird:
It must be the Candlestick Curse...

I don't think that's it. But I just don't trust the Yorks to win the big one. They just don't have it. I mean lets not kid ourselves here. They spend 90% of 20 years absolutely sucking. They sometimes get so bad for so long they stockpile high 1st round picks. That's when you go to the Super Bowl to LOSE. Then dismantle the team. Rinse, recycle and repeat. That's the pattern.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
DeBartolo was the beneficiary of having Ronald Reagan as president. California leaned conservative in the 80s.

When 9/11 happened, the "Patriots" dynasty started to take affect. Probably to reinvigorate America's nationalism in the face of terrorists.

When Hurricane Katrina happened, the New Orleans Saints somehow win a Superbowl ring. Are these all coincidences?

What a f*** are you talking about. What does losing a game have anything to do with Reagan or 9/11.
s**ts apples to oranges bruh
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
s**ts apples to oranges bruh

Debartolo is like a pile of gold at the end of a rainbow. Yorks are like.....
Originally posted by 190836:
What a f*** are you talking about. What does losing a game have anything to do with Reagan or 9/11.

Refs can influence games very easily to control outcomes. Zero holding calls in this entire game. That doesn't arouse your suspicions at all?

I feel like after today, I should stop taking sports seriously as some fair competition.

• Veteran
Jed and his father are the reason for our failures for the past 20 years. You can sugar coated however you want.
Originally posted by 190836:
Jed and his father are the reason for our failures for the past 20 years. You can sugar coated however you want.

I mean come on look at it. You are right. They suck for 90% of 20 years. And sometimes get so bad for so long you stockpile high 1st round draft picks. Then you get to the Super Bowl to LOSE. Then dismantle the team. Go back to the bottom. Rinse, recycle and repeat. We have seen this show before. We know how this ends.
Making this comparison is absolutely pointless. Team won all their Super Bowls in the mostly non-salary cap era and FA was also much less prominent. Joe was probably the most clutch quarterback in SB history, while Jimmy is still learning on the job somewhat. He most likely won't ever be clutch like that but is still good enough to QB a SB champion. OTOH maybe I just have delusions of grandeur and he ultimately is no better than Tony Romo for example. Just good enough to get you beat. Coincidence they're both out of eastern Illinois.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Making this comparison is absolutely pointless. Team won all their Super Bowls in the mostly non-salary cap era and FA was also much less prominent. Joe was probably the most clutch quarterback in SB history, while Jimmy is still learning on the job somewhat. He most likely won't ever be clutch like that but is still good enough to QB a SB champion. OTOH maybe I just have delusions of grandeur and he ultimately is no better than Tony Romo for example. Just good enough to get you beat. Coincidence they're both out of eastern Illinois.

Other teams win the Super Bowl post salary cap era. But not this one owned by the Yorks. I wonder why?
This is so stupid. Anybody saying our team is cursed and shanahan is a garbage coach doesn't understand football. Jed York stayed back and we were b******t calls from winning our 6th super bowl. We have a team built to last.
Share 49ersWebzone