There are 246 users in the forums

York ownership vs Debartolo ownership results.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Its not the yorks fault that they are 0 and 2 in the super bowl
Thats a lazy point of view. However, eddie had his teams constantly winning while the yorks has their teams winning ....seldomly
Originally posted by 190836:
This loss had nothing to do with Jed or his stupid father. But how do you defend the last 20 years under this ownership?

Defend what? 4 conference championship appearances and 2 SB appearances over that period of time. Quick, jot down all the other teams that have matched that since 2000. Yep it sucks that they haven't won either of those 2 SB's but just getting to one is difficult enough. The Chiefs just made it to their first in 50 years and they have one of the most respected owners in the league. How many teams haven't been to a single conference championship game in these past 20 years?

Jed clearly goofed up with how he handled the Harbaugh situation but he rebounded with Lynch and Shanahan and appears to be learning from his mistakes. With this current regime, this team is poised for continued success and being a playoff contender which is all you can hope for.
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with Debaratlo having Joe Montana?

Walsh. Without Walsh, Debartolo wasn't winning a thing and yet he tried to fire him over and over again. It was largely due to the intervention of Carmen Policy that kept it from turning into exactly what happened with Harbaugh. If Debartolo hadn't been such a hothead, maybe Walsh sticks it out longer instead of retiring after only 3 SB's because he was just flat out worn down by the BS.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
The difference is in the believe systems.

Eddie D had Montana and Young on the same team. York's couldn't possibly have Jimmy G and Mahomes on the same team. So they allow their GM to go out and draft his friend from Stanford instead.

Result: Jimmy isn't pushed by Mahomes the way Montana was by Young.

Oh, and guess who comes back to beat you in the super bowl?

Garoppolo wasn't even on the team at the time. And Montana won 2 SB's before Young even entered the NFL. Whatever point you were trying to make, you landed way off the mark here.,
SIGN HIM
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Walsh. Without Walsh, Debartolo wasn't winning a thing and yet he tried to fire him over and over again. It was largely due to the intervention of Carmen Policy that kept it from turning into exactly what happened with Harbaugh. If Debartolo hadn't been such a hothead, maybe Walsh sticks it out longer instead of retiring after only 3 SB's because he was just flat out worn down by the BS.

This may be true.
This loss had nothing to do with Jed or his stupid father. But how do you defend the last 20 years under this ownership?

Defend what? 4 conference championship appearances and 2 SB appearances over that period of time. Quick, jot down all the other teams that have matched that since 2000. Yep it sucks that they haven't won either of those 2 SB's but just getting to one is difficult enough. The Chiefs just made it to their first in 50 years and they have one of the most respected owners in the league. How many teams haven't been to a single conference championship game in these past 20 years?

Jed clearly goofed up with how he handled the Harbaugh situation but he rebounded with Lynch and Shanahan and appears to be learning from his mistakes. With this current regime, this team is poised for continued success and being a playoff contender which is all you can hope for.

What is the win%?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This may be true.

Also if this happened...I don't think we're looking back on Debartolo anywhere near as favorably.

People act like its 95% skill and a little bit luck but the reality is that you need a considerable amount of things to fall in place for you. You need to hire the right people and then get out of their way and let them do their thing. Even if you hire the right people, there's no guarantee of winning anything. Look how long it took a guy like Reid to finally win a SB. Or even Bill Cowher. Cowher was hired in 1992, it wasn't until 2005 that he won a SB. The Steelers believed in him and he kept them competitive and eventually their patience was rewarded.

Really the Patriots are the outlier in the salary cap era and they had a freak confluence of getting possibly the greatest HC of all time followed by taking a late round flyer on what turned out to be the greatest QB of all time. That isn't a sustainable recipe for success. Kraft gets a ton of credit for getting Belichick hired but if they don't wind up with Brady, their whole run probably isn't remotely close to being as successful as its been.

As an owner you could do everything right, hire the right people, let them run the ship and still not see any payoff. Look at the Steelers of the 80s and 90s. Did their ownership suddenly get dumb after all the success they had in the 70s? Its catching lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you get all the right people together and then get a nice boost of fortune and suddenly you're winning big but it doesn't last forever.

The important thing is that it feels like the Yorks do have the right people running things now. The franchise is moving in a positive direction. As long as they leave Lynch and Shanahan alone and let them do their thing, its gonna be alright.

I believe 4 winning seasons out of the last 17 years...let's not make this the glory years..
Originally posted by Viperboy:
I believe 4 winning seasons out of the last 17 years...let's not make this the glory years..

And yet how many teams have had 4 conference championship and 2 SB appearances over the same period of time, let alone over the past decade? I can wait while you make a list because there's a whole lot of teams out there that haven't had anything close to the same success despite all the issues.

In anycase, I think the ownership seems to have the right people in there now, just let them do what they need to do, stay out of their way and be patient like smart, stable organizations tend to be.

• Veteran

And yet how many teams have had 4 conference championship and 2 SB appearances over the same period of time, let alone over the past decade. I can wait while you make a list because there's a whole lot of teams out there that haven't had anything close to the same success despite all the issues.

In anycase, I think they seem to have the right people in there now, just let them do what they need to do, stay out of their way and be patient like smart, stable organizations tend to be.

How many SBs have we won under the Yorks? Answer that.

And yet how many teams have had 4 conference championship and 2 SB appearances over the same period of time, let alone over the past decade? I can wait while you make a list because there's a whole lot of teams out there that haven't had anything close to the same success despite all the issues.

In anycase, I think the ownership seems to have the right people in there now, just let them do what they need to do, stay out of their way and be patient like smart, stable organizations tend to be.

While your waiting, how many teams have had only 4 winning seasons...I'll wait.......then I'll meet you back here at high noon tomorrow..
How many SBs have we won under the Yorks? Answer that.

Zero. And hopefully that changes now that they have a great group running things. They went from a cratered out, near expansion level roster in 2017 to a SB after the 2019 season and have a ton of young talent on the roster. As long as Jed and Co continue doing what they've done the past two years, the 49ers are in a good position to continue competing and making playoff runs which is all you can ask.
While your waiting, how many teams have had only 4 winning seasons...I'll wait.......then I'll meet you back here at high noon tomorrow..

You get back to me with that data and we'll talk at high noon.

Give me a break you guys riding Jed's jock. Jed gets so bad for so long they stockpile top 3, top 5, top 10 picks and eventually get "better." But they spend 90% of 20 years at the absolute bottom. Occasionally getting so bad for so long they go back up. But the Yorks can never win the big one. We don't have to pretend that there is some genius here.......

Eddie Debartolo on the other hand stayed at the top with rare down years. He also put 5 Lombardi trophies in the case. Totally different scenarios.
Share 49ersWebzone