What playoff drought was worse?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What playoff drought was worse?

Early 2000's hands down
This 2014 till now has gone like a blink of an eye tbh
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by rxrunner:
2003-2010 was bad, i mean just look at the QBs we had during those times.

Trying to remember them all...
Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
O'Sullivan
Weinke

I know I'm missing more

Carr.

Nate Davis.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Dennis Erickson
Mile Nolan
Jimmy Raye

Second best player on the team after Gore was Andy Lee

Those were daaaark times ughh....
03-10 felt like there was no hope. The franchise seemed like it was going nowhere
03 to 10 sucked so much ass. What made it worse was that i was super optimistic beginning of each year.
The one that was longer?

And not to be THAT guy, but our current drought still isn't over...
I think 2013-2010 was worse. There wasn't hope that the York regime could win.

This recent go-around, it was after Harbaugh left... there was a sense that they were just trying to find the right front office structure. Looks like they've finally found what they were looking for.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Man, how can you "not" beat the Tim Rattay, Derrick Smith captained 49ers....?
This is reaaaaaaaaaalllly easy for me...

Both included 2-14 seasons and multiple coach firings. But 8 years of suffering versus 5? At least recently, there was hope when Shanahan came on board. Things felt pretty hopeless with Erickson and Singletary.
1991... We we're starting to peak at the end of the season and were manhandling playoff teams. Both Atlanta games that year were killer, especially the Hail Mary at Fulton County

• jcs
  • Veteran
2014 to 2018. The first drought was going to happen because we eventually had to pay the salary cap and there was a major change in ownership. The second drought happened because of the immature son of the teams owner thinking he was bigger than the team.
2014-2018 was worse, by far in my opinion. 2014 was a very watchable year until the Thanksgiving fiasco, and we were still alive for another week or two thereafter. We weren't eliminated until two games to go, if I recall. Then, remember the 2014-2015 offseason? It was a bloodbath -- Harbaugh, Cowboy, Gore, Crabtree, Willis, Borland, the anticlimactic hiring of Tomsula. It just kept coming, waaaay worse than the 2003 offseason where we lost Garcia and Owens together. Quite literally, the only moment of true hope after midway through the 2014 season was Jimmy's 5-game stretch in 2017. 2018 was just tough because the team was at least a year away with a healthy Jimmy, but then that knee gave out and the team kinda just had to spin its wheels for 13 games. In 2015 and 2016, we were just about as bad as 2004 and 2005.

2003 was a middling year. 2004 was awful. 2005 was awful too, but at least we had hope with a new QB and a new coach. We were feisty in some 2006 games, and 2007 was pretty much the equivalent of 2018, a potentially okay team torpedoed by a key injury. 2008 was a .500 year with at least an entertaining QB carousel, 2009 saw the rise of Vernon and the (partial) resurrection of Alex, and in 2010 we weren't eliminated until we lost our second-to-last game.

On the aggregate, that earlier stretch was a lot more tolerable than the later one, especially because our last championship was closer in time. We got so close with Harbaugh and Co., so to see us fall to the bottom like that without getting a Lombardi was just heartbreaking -- quite the end of Camelot scenario.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Dec 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM ]
2003-2010, those years we're pretty bad. Let's pray we never have to witness that again.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
O'Sullivan
Weinke

I know I'm missing more

Carr.

Nate Davis.
Scott Tolzien
Colt McCoy
[ Edited by rxrunner on Dec 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 1251alex:

Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
O'Sullivan
Weinke

I know I'm missing more

Carr.