LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

What playoff drought was worse?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What playoff drought was worse?

With our recent drought soon to be coming to an end I thought it was time to look back on some not so good times.

I say 03-10 was worse just because 8 years is a REALLY long time to go without a playoff appearance, but some of those teams had redeemable qualities regardless how small, but with 2015-18 the argument can be made that we were the worst team in football in each of those year
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Dec 13, 2019 at 9:38 AM ]
1973-1980
100% of the votes cast say 2003-2010. Poll over, another triumph of democracy.
2003-2010 was bad, i mean just look at the QBs we had during those times.
2014-2018 because we had gone from having a great coach and considered arguably the best team to sucking ass in the blink of an eye. In the 00's I was in high school and was used to us sucking ass so it wasn't that bad. lol.
[ Edited by 1251alex on Dec 13, 2019 at 9:20 AM ]
The Singletary years were dark times...
2003-2010. In 1999 we bottomed out and salary cap hell was our reality.. we had a resurgence in 2001 and 2002... only make the same mistake after 2003. That 2004 team was absolutely awful

This current drought didn't feel as bad despite some dark years, mainly because Shanahan provided a spark by 2017 along with Garoppolo's arrival.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rxrunner:

Trying to remember them all...
Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
O'Sullivan
Weinke

I know I'm missing more
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
1973-1980

That was bad too, but I wasn't born for any of that so it doesn't count
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Dec 13, 2019 at 9:38 AM ]
03-10 was abysmal....but I think 14-18 was worse because I thought they had funally turned the York led franchise around when Harbaugh and Baalke took over, then it just went to hell

Originally posted by Joshuar56:
The Singletary years were dark times...

The Singletary teams had talent, especially on defense. But inept coaching kept them from being anything respectable.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
03-10 was abysmal....but I think 14-18 was worse because I thought they had funally turned the York led franchise around when Harbaugh and Baalke took over, then it just went to hell

I think it was the worst collapse in 49ers history. The defenses were abysmal too. I was just more frustrated with the other drought tbh
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I think it was the worst collapse in 49ers history. The defenses were abysmal too. I was just more frustrated with the other drought tbh

Yeah. I think with the other drought I just became so accustomed to them being terrible I no longer cared, that's what made 2011 so special Let's hope they can sustain it this time around
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 13, 2019 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
1973-1980

That was bad but I wasn't born for any of that so it doesn't count

We went from losing to the Cowboys in the NFCCG 3 straight years, including a Preston Riley muff on a last minute desperation onside kick by the Cowboys, to the drought and the end of an era, then a promising 76 season with Jim Plunkett destroyed by injuries, to the death of the Morabito brothers, the owners of the Niners, to the deaths of the Morabito widows, to GM Joe Thomas and the OJ Simpson trade - a #1, 2 #2s, a #3 and a #4, all top top picks because we sucked.

It was a horrific stretch. We didn't know what Walsh was yet.
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by rxrunner:

Trying to remember them all...
Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
O'Sullivan
Weinke

I know I'm missing more

Carr.