LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

Should we rest Players against Rams if Opportunity is there?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we rest Players against Rams if Opportunity is there?

Stop trying to circumvent the fact that we have to beat the Seahawks in week 17. It is time to get the monkey off our backs and this team knows it.
Full speed ahead. No rest coming.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If we win 3 more games we earn a rest. its pretty simple
I would definitely rest injured players.
If we have a bye locked up, it would be freakin' stupid to risk injury to your players. Lord knows, during any 49er gamea a 49er can and will sustain a serious injury. I doubt they are going to forget how to play in 2 weeks.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We don't rest against anybody. We have nothing locked up. You rest guys you lose. Then Seattle wins the division. There is nothing locked up for this team. We are on a very thin margin right now.

He's saying we still gotta beat Seattle whether we beat the Rams or not. Mathematically, it makes sense. The problem is, if we let the Rams win on Saturday and SEA loses to Ari on Sunday, then we lose the chance to lock up the number 1 seed in week 16.
[ Edited by BayToBrazil on Dec 9, 2019 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Natedog:
Stop trying to circumvent the fact that we have to beat the Seahawks in week 17. It is time to get the monkey off our backs and this team knows it.
Full speed ahead. No rest coming.

Still gotta beat the Seahawks in this scenario whether we beat LA or not.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If the She Cawks lose again, which they just might because they play horribly on the road, we may wrap up the division AND the number one seed by the second to last week.

However, for this to happen, the 49ers need to win the next two games against Atlanta and Los Angeles (Rams) and hope the Sea Chickens trip up on the road against Carolina.

At that point, we clinch everything. I can see Shanahan resting some key players in the final game in Seattle.

However, this is probably unlikely.

They only had one road loss....
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Resting starters, especially if you have a playoff bye, is pretty risky. The lambs can sing a song about it. However, we might have to if injuries are stacking up. It's probably a decision that not even in Kyle's hand.
Originally posted by Antix:
If we win 3 more games we earn a rest. its pretty simple

Beat Atl and Sea, and we get the number 1 seed.
But I hear ya, let's beat LA too.
There are 2 discussions going on here.

The original post is saying the LA game doesn't help us OR hurt us, assuming Sea wins their next two.
We still gotta beat Seattle.

The other discussion is assuming the Seahawks lose this week and we beat the Rams to lock up the #1 early. I hope to have the chance to have the "rest the starters in week 17" debate in the future but it's not the subject of this thread.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Yeah, let them sleep the night before we play Lambs and sleep on the plane ride to Seattle...that's a lot of rest
Originally posted by dj43:
The most important thing is to maintain momentum going into the playoffs. Resting injured players is also important, however, from looking at the way the Rams played last night, that does not look like an easy game. Though they have gone through a long low spot, they are still a talented team that should have been playing much better than they were. They will not be an easy out.

On a side note, Dallas is much the same way. They have far more talent than their record shows. While I can't imagine it happening, if they suddenly start playing to the level of their talent, they could be a very tough wild card team.

Solid post man!
Share 49ersWebzone