LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 422 users in the forums

Should we rest Players against Rams if Opportunity is there?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we rest Players against Rams if Opportunity is there?

If we get a sizeable lead - then rest them.
Originally posted by captveg:
Um, no. It's impossible for the Rams game to be irrelevant.

Even if Niners beat Falcons (going to 12-2) and Seahawks lose to the Panthers (going to 10-4) the Niners play the Rams Saturday night before the Seahawks play the Cardinals on Sunday. Which means the Niners would have to win to clinch the division instead of waiting to hope that Seattle loses again.

Going into the Seattle game with SF 12-3 (SF losing because they rested players) and Seattle 11-4 (beating Cardinals) would mean Seattle wins the division if they beat us in W17.

Way better to use all efforts to beat the Rams in this scenario in order to make the Seahawks game in W17 irrelevant. They can then rest a few guys for that game instead.*

*-In the unlikely scenario that beating Seattle in W17 eliminates them from the playoffs entirely you rest less players, at least in the first half of the game.

You are correct, but also wrong. My point is that the Rams game is irrelevant in this case, and this is still true in your scenario. Win or Lose against the Rams, the Seattle game determines #1 or #5 seed. But you are correct on the timing of the games being a big factor (Niners play on Sat, and Seahawks on sunday) and that is something I missed.
Don't play guys that are banged up and where we have some form or depth.
I doubt we have the number 1 seed locked up week 16
  • dj43
The most important thing is to maintain momentum going into the playoffs. Resting injured players is also important, however, from looking at the way the Rams played last night, that does not look like an easy game. Though they have gone through a long low spot, they are still a talented team that should have been playing much better than they were. They will not be an easy out.

On a side note, Dallas is much the same way. They have far more talent than their record shows. While I can't imagine it happening, if they suddenly start playing to the level of their talent, they could be a very tough wild card team.
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
No you don't rest. Your playing a Saturday game and the Seahawks play Sunday. What happens if you rest and lose and Seattle loses at the same time? You could have wrapped up not only division but 1st place with a win in that scenario

This is probably the best argument. I'd rather rest week 17 than 16, too many if-then scenarios in week 16.
No. I don't believe in resting players.

I'd rather go for the kill
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....let's fall off that bridge when we come to it..
No and I wouldn't rest them against Seattle even if the division was wrapped up also.

This team is too young and would come out flat as hell after a 3 week break.

Also you don't want to get their confidence up too much. Can't have them thinking were too good to lose.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
No. I don't believe in resting players.

I'd rather go for the kill

IF WE have the home field, I say REST the ones who needs to rest..

and IF I'm the owner of the team, or GM, I'll speak to the entire team and let everyone who needs certain stats to get that BONUS, that they will be seated and allow to heal and STILL get their BONUS for playing HARD all year long..

Allow the backups to wet their beaks!!

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
No and I wouldn't rest them against Seattle even if the division was wrapped up also.

This team is too young and would come out flat as hell after a 3 week break.

Also you don't want to get their confidence up too much. Can't have them thinking were too good to lose.

Just look at LA last yr. Tremendous F up.
I'd never rest anyone unless its game that has no bearing on playoff seeding. Likely the only game that even has a chance of that is the last one at seattle. If seattle falls flat on their face and the niners have the #1 seed in hand regardless of the outcome... then yeah rest everyone you can cause this team needs all the health it can get. This team turns into glass against seattle, if you can take certain players out of that equation, do it. But most likely everyone will need to play and play well for that #1 seed to officially belong to SF.
For guys like Ford and Sherman that are actually injured or knicked up I say yea. If they healthy they need to play.
With the rash of injuries we are sustaining we need to get that #1 seed at all costs for the first round bye and the only way I see us doing that is by winning out and winning the division.

Keep a close eye on the Panthers vs Seahawks game next week.
Against the Rams? Hell no.

Keep winning and maybe we'll get lucky and Seattle's Cinderella story runs out and they lose another one before week 17.

Much rather rest our guys two weeks straight than take them out for a week 16 game and then expect them to put it all on the line week 17.
Share 49ersWebzone