There are 184 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm glad you covered this one. That was a play I captured but it ended up on the cutting room floor

All good. Ironically, in the 49ers best season in decades, I posted less cutups than any past years. You've covered so much in your videos that doubling up on the breakdowns didn't make sense for me. Thanks, jd, for giving me more time to play video games at night.

madden 2020's controls are way too complicated (old geezer coming from madden ps2 days)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ProfessorKel:
Great stuff as usual! This is becoming my favorite aspect of the Webzone.

Which brings the million-dollar question: What did Seattle do differently in the second half (on offense) that made this game closer than it felt?

And how correctable were our mistakes on defense? In real time, it simply looked like Akhello was the weak link.

Some of it was that when you're in zone, the longer the QB has the ball the more those zones are stretched. We got Seattle into a ton of 3rd downs but lost containment on almost all of them, which stretches zones and they had guys open.

Then, when in man-coverage, we didn't play tight enough. The frustrating thing is that K'waun William's got beat hurt the exact same play on 2 3rd downs on the same drive.

Like, it was literally the same plays. Same formation, same pre-snap movement, same concept

I noticed that too. That was a new wrinkle. Williams is usually one of our better cover CB's.

what was a new wrinkle? Williams got beat on consecutive out-routes on 3rd down like twice in a row lol

Him getting beat badly.

It seemed to me that Williams had a substandard game all around. I was wondering if he was hurt. I also seemed that Warner had a pretty substandard game. I hope they both get back to the kind of play we are used to seeing out of them.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
I'm glad you covered this one. That was a play I captured but it ended up on the cutting room floor

All good. Ironically, in the 49ers best season in decades, I posted less cutups than any past years. You've covered so much in your videos that doubling up on the breakdowns didn't make sense for me. Thanks, jd, for giving me more time to play video games at night.

madden 2020's controls are way too complicated (old geezer coming from madden ps2 days)

Madden games have sucked for a while now
Originally posted by S41MAN:
Our offense was owning. It's a shame the defense played so poorly in the second half, Seattle was just keeping us off the field and scoring TDs, very disappointing that we didn't just blow them out.

Well, there is a reason why the defense isn't as good as it was in the first half. Over the last 4 games or so, there have been 4 starters out!! DE Dee Ford, NT DJ Jones, SS Tartt, and MLB K Alexander all out...not to mention D linemen R Blair and J Taylor (2 key rotation players). The four missing starters have all played at a Pro Bowl level this year.

So...let's review....4 Pro Bowl level starters missing from just the defense. Gee...no wonder they aren't playing quite as well.

All week, we heard the expects making excuses for Seattle because they lost their 2 best RBs......but not a single word about the 4 f**kin' starters missing from the Niners defense. I swear...the media is so biased against the Niners it is ridiculous.

And Seattle is still b*tching about that non PI call which actually could have been called offensive PI, even though they blatantly held (twice) on one of Wilson's TD passes and Wilson was a full yard past the LOS on one of his others. But no!!!.....you don't hear that from the media.

Total BS....I hope Seattle gets their asses kicked this week. It would serve them right.

Cheers!
Very nice breakdown of the offense jd. Jimmy really does show those little nuances that help earn the WRs just enough room, and himself just enough of a passing lane, to make it a throw he's comfortable with. His maturity when it comes to the little things seem to exceed his actual experience.

I thought this game was interesting from the 49er offense point of view. Playing a divisional opponent this late in the season, there are so many tendencies and film for opponents to evaluate and it's important to add wrinkles to make the go-to plays work. You covered most of the offense but I wanted to highlight one play that showed this aspect of Kyle and the adjustments he makes to keep the offense acting the same while looking just a bit different.

This is from the NO game and it's the Z cross flood concept with Sanders running the intermediate crosser. We've seen this play many times.
vs Cover 3

Playaction to draw up the four underneath defenders. Many teams run this type of Cover 3 where the weakside Hook defender (yellow) is responsible for any deep crossing routes.

The playaction works well to vertically stretch yellow. He's unable to turn around in time to cover Sanders' route.

Sanders runs across the field to go to open space. +15

----------------------
Against a defense that has studied and adapted to the 49ers' offense, Kyle gives this concept a wrinkle to counter SEA's ability to recognize the common plays that the 49ers like to call.
Juice lined up as an inline TE with Sanders tight to the formation - very similar to the play from NO.
vs Cover 3

After playaction, the weakside Hook (yellow, KJ Wright) has identified the crosser he's responsible for - Sanders. To account for the boundary deep 1/3 defender, the 49ers line up Kittle tight and keep him in to block - this occupies the sideline deep 1/3.

If Sanders continues on his crossing route, yellow Hook has it covered as he is quick to gain depth to head off the crossing route. Instead, Sanders cuts off his route, stops, and finds a passing lane between the two Hook defenders.

+12. It's little things like this that can make the same play a little different to get a similar result.

Love this stuff. It looks like Wright misplays this badly. You can see him pointing to the flat before the snap, and he drifts that direction after the snap with his back to Sanders at the top of the route. When Jimmy lets it fly, there are 2.5 defenders focusing on 44 in the flat.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Love this stuff. It looks like Wright misplays this badly. You can see him pointing to the flat before the snap, and he drifts that direction after the snap with his back to Sanders at the top of the route. When Jimmy lets it fly, there are 2.5 defenders focusing on 44 in the flat.

Eh. Juice was a huge threat right there. The niners love to get the guy lost in the line and he comes out the other side wide open.

It was just a great play design with the motion, maybe the corner had man and the late motion with kittle blocking screwed that up.
Can someone explain to me how Fant was allowed to go from his "injury" to sprinting to the line for the spike. I thought inured players had to come off for a play.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
Can someone explain to me how Fant was allowed to go from his "injury" to sprinting to the line for the spike. I thought inured players had to come off for a play.

They never stopped the clock for him. Only if it is a stoppage do they have to come off.
Does anyone with access to the All 22s know why Sanders was so wide open on Jimmy's 1st incompletion, the one where Sanders had to dive for the ball and dropped it. If Jimmy hits him in stride, we gain at least an additional 20 yards, maybe even a TD, at least that's what it looked like on the broadcast replay.
  • thl408

• Furlow
  • Veteran

Doesn't seem like Mostert was supposed to run a wheel route there as he carried his defender towards Sanders. If he just stays in the flat that's a much easier pass. Should have been thrown better anyway, and caught even with the throw being off.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
It's a stupid excuse. Jimmy's 5-0 run had the likes of Aldrick Robinson and Louis Murphy. Trent Taylor didn't look anywhere near as good until Jimmy came along. Jimmy was the reason Goodwin got an extension.

Kaep had Crabtree Boldin and VD to throw to at one point with gore coming out the backfield. Everyone wants to act like kaep had bums his entire career.

Kap did play with Bums majority of his career. KW, Marlon Moore, AJJ, Lamike James, Jon Baldwin, Vance. That list is from 2013 alone (10 starts into his career).

Boldin had a year left in him when we got him (was our WR1, goes to Lions and is like WR5). Vernon was in and out with injuries but still had a great year in 2013. We did eventually get Crab back (Kaps numbers reflect the moment Crab came back) but he was about 70%.

2014 was a collection of old ass WRs on their literal last legs, Crab complaining and dropping everything, and Vernon just playing uninspired and dropping everything. The state of the franchise reflected the play on the field in 2014.

Anytime Kap had a decent supporting cast (2012, and the tail end of 2013) he played really well.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Jan 4, 2020 at 4:01 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
when will the defense be posted

When I have more time 😔

No worries. We have an extra week. Take your time.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by jvangeystel:

They never stopped the clock for him. Only if it is a stoppage do they have to come off.

They cant stop the clock because Seattle was out of timeouts right. Seems like a clear attempt at the 4th timeout. Seattle is so slimy.

that's one throw Jimmy noted in his post game conference that he just missed. "plenty to work on"
Share 49ersWebzone