LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Great Job Jonnydel and th1408 keep it coming.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think we played a bad QB. Better QB will hit the route before the one of the Safeties has a chance to move down.

Good thing we beat a bad QB then, just like we're supposed to.
Originally posted by GORO:
Great Job Jonnydel and th1408 keep it coming.

This and thanks. Love it.
Awesome job Jonnydel and Th1408!! I especially love watching our D-line wreck havoc on the other team!!
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by braap49er:
What happened to Marvin? He still around?

He's very active on .net if that's the same Marvin

What .net?
  • thl408
This is about Jimmy's pick 6. It's a tough throw from the far hash. Below, two plays are from 2017, same idea as the pick 6 vs TB. With a CB lined up over Juice and a single high safety Jimmy knows it's Cover3 so that CB will bail to his deep 1/3. Throw on timing with the route and it's complete. But the QB has to see the CB bailing, hips turned upfield, otherwise it's a dangerous throw.

CB is flat footed vs Hyde, dangerous, but the throw is not from the far hash.

both plays

----------------------------
vs Cover3

Goodwin releases outside to run interference on the curl/flat defender so he can't get into the passing lane for Coleman.
CB flat footed, hips not turned upfield, watching the QB. Far hash to sideline.

• thl408
The touchdown pass to James.
Bucs show middle open but will rotate to Cover3 with pattern match. 49ers dial up Switch Verticals, a good Cover 3 buster. Red clears the sideline for yellow to attack.

After playaction to flow everyone to the boundary side, Jimmy takes the snap and looks to his right. This keeps the blue middle safety towards the boundary. James with a funny bunny hop stutter step on the Bucs nickel CB.

When Goodwin breaks to the Post, the CB must follow and cannot pass off because the middle deep safety has exposed a large seam. This gives James the room to work. Playaction and QB eyes to pull defenders to one side, so they can attack the other side.

LOL watching these replays me thinks DEE FORD SO DAMN WORTH THE MONEY AND HANDS TO THE FACE ON BOSA BUT NO CALL, BUT SURE LETS EJECT OUR STAR LB CUZ winston doesnt know how to slide.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
LOL watching these replays me thinks DEE FORD SO DAMN WORTH THE MONEY AND HANDS TO THE FACE ON BOSA BUT NO CALL, BUT SURE LETS EJECT OUR STAR LB CUZ winston doesnt know how to slide.

I'm still pissed at that stupid ref call myself. In fact I'm still pissed on that call against ahmad brooks on Drew Brees in the playoffs many years ago.
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the Bosa sack that jonny broke down from the trenches. What occurred downfield is worrisome and comforting at the same time.

Bucs attack with Switch Verticals. If you were with us last season, you'll recognize Switch Verticals as a route combination that the 49ers struggled with covering. It resulted in a number of chunk plays for the opposing offense as they used it to attack Cover3's sideline defender. Defending it takes communication and some pattern matching.
The idea is that yellow route occupies the sideline deep 1/3 defender so that red can attack the vacated area.

As Spoon sees a vertical route coming at him with another route behind it, he signals to Moore to take the first vertical. You can see Spoon's arm raised. At the same time, Dee Ford has destroyed the TE trying to pass block him.

The yellow WR knows he's going to be wide open. He's already run past Spoon, and Moore is totally flat footed. This is a blown coverage about to happen.

But the 49er's new 2019 pass rush covers for it an the blown coverage is never exploited. Only the guys in the meeting room know what's supposed to happen here, but my GUESS is that Moore covers the yellow route which allows Spoon to cover red. Thus accounting for both routes.

IMHO Moore is covering the Over route from the TE, like you explained in the previous posts. He never sees AW passing the deep coverage to him, but I think he is in a though spot because he is supposed to cover the Over. I think it is another counter move by Arians to beat this coverage and he succeed, if not for Dee Ford.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Beautiful work as always jonny and thl.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm still pissed at that stupid ref call myself. In fact I'm still pissed on that call against ahmad brooks on Drew Brees in the playoffs many years ago.

That was regular season, but it forced us to play the NFCCG in Seattle. Just one of the many ways we were cheated out of a SB from 2011-2013.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Nice new shiny intro graphics

Yes!!! A forum member here, who shall remain nameless unless he wants to present himself so I don't out him, was super gracious enough to make that for me.

I'm here. Watching and reading. Good to see this thread again!
[ Edited by cortana49 on Sep 11, 2019 at 4:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think we played a bad QB. Better QB will hit the route before the one of the Safeties has a chance to move down.

are you talking about post #47? Winston didn't even know that play broken down defensively until he completed the play-action (back was turned). By then Ford was in his face.

No way he can make that throw without getting destroyed and throwing an inaccurate pass. Poor communication/coverage on Moore IMO (needs more reps) but even worse pass-blocking on TB's TE vs Ford.
Originally posted by thl408:

Man, from here it looks like he had time to hit Goodwin when he releases upfield. We've seen him make throws like that one before. Oh well, learning experience.
Share 49ersWebzone