LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Defensive Line Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
They are definitely missing another pass rusher. Right now it's still Bosa and nobody on the outside. We hope Drake takes the next step. And CF is a terrible pass rusher. Maybe Wilks scheming up more blitzes will help. Cheap vet pick up is needed

This is something that won't be known until these guys play. Development takes time. Ferrell is bad as a pass rusher, but who was Arden Key before he came here? Ferrell does have some tools however. I'm optimistic about Beal and Jackson and don't forget Hyder.

What do you expect a cheap vet to add that Jackson, Beal, Austin Bryant, abd Hyder don't?

I think if the price is right we will try and add another piece. There are still a couple of good DL out there that can contribute. We'll see, but I like what we have now as well.

Its thin. Theres a few injury stories that need to roll the right way for the story to have a happy ending.
As long as Hargrave, Bosa and AA are healthy, this line gonna dominate every oline we face. We never had a lineman (Buckner was real good but...) like Hargrave next to AA, this will be sick!!

At least two of those three mentioned will have to be double teamed most times, that will free up one capable other (Drake, CF, Hyder, Bryant or whoever) dlineman and blitzing LB/DB. I have no doubt that Kocurek will have (at least) one other guy ready to wreak havoc by regular season.

Because of Wilks' experience with DBs, I expect the secondary to get better, which will (significantly) help with QB pressures and sacks.
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
As long as Hargrave, Bosa and AA are healthy, this line gonna dominate every oline we face. We never had a lineman (Buckner was real good but...) like Hargrave next to AA, this will be sick!!

At least two of those three mentioned will have to be double teamed most times, that will free up one capable other (Drake, CF, Hyder, Bryant or whoever) dlineman and blitzing LB/DB. I have no doubt that Kocurek will have (at least) one other guy ready to wreak havoc by regular season.

Because of Wilks' experience with DBs, I expect the secondary to get better, which will (significantly) help with QB pressures and sacks.

Agree and good post.

And there may be a cap casualty that we can pick up on a very friendly deal.

Some one who really wants a SB ring.
Hopefully, Beal, who is probably the fastest among all our dlinemen, and Jackson surprise us this year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree and good post.

And there may be a cap casualty that we can pick up on a very friendly deal.

Some one who really wants a SB ring.

Thanks and I hope you're right, more competition (never hurts) before they actually find out who makes the 53
They are definitely missing another pass rusher. Right now it's still Bosa and nobody on the outside. We hope Drake takes the next step. And CF is a terrible pass rusher. Maybe Wilks scheming up more blitzes will help. Cheap vet pick up is needed

This is something that won't be known until these guys play. Development takes time. Ferrell is bad as a pass rusher, but who was Arden Key before he came here? Ferrell does have some tools however. I'm optimistic about Beal and Jackson and don't forget Hyder.

What do you expect a cheap vet to add that Jackson, Beal, Austin Bryant, abd Hyder don't?

I expect a cheap vet to add 6-8 sacks to our pass rush. Outside of Bosa our leading sack guy had 4.5 sacks. Agreed on taking time for Drake to develop but they are in win now mode. They can still be developed with a vet only taking minimal snaps. And if Drake shows that he's ready now, then that's even a bigger plus. B/c now you rotate in a proven vet when Drake takes a breather. Just keep putting the pressure on the opposing. Arden Key has way more speed and bend that CF simply does not. Not to mention most of Key's sacks were schemed up versus guards. He's not lining up at DE beating guys one on one. Bryant and Hyder are just back up guys that won't bring any immediate or substantial help to the pass rush. I really like Beal as a prospect tho but I don't expect him to start making noise until after this season.
Surprised we didn't make a play at Z. Smith. Sure he would be a 1 year rental unless you extend him but Browns didn't give up much. They reworked his deal to give him ~$12 mil this year. I would of done that trade if I'm Lynch. We would need to free up a couple more million in cap space but easily doable. I wouldn't even mind the 1 year rental even if we didn't extend him. We are in win now mode with this roster

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Surprised we didn't make a play at Z. Smith. Sure he would be a 1 year rental unless you extend him but Browns didn't give up much. They reworked his deal to give him ~$12 mil this year. I would of done that trade if I'm Lynch. We would need to free up a couple more million in cap space but easily doable. I wouldn't even mind the 1 year rental even if we didn't extend him. We are in win now mode with this roster

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick

Ya one knock I have on this FO is that we don't really go after "mercenary" players much.

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick

Ya one knock I have on this FO is that we don't really go after "mercenary" players much.

I kinda like that they don't do that. They put emphasis on growing their own talent, a more sustainable approach, I think.

I expect a cheap vet to add 6-8 sacks to our pass rush. Outside of Bosa our leading sack guy had 4.5 sacks. Agreed on taking time for Drake to develop but they are in win now mode. They can still be developed with a vet only taking minimal snaps. And if Drake shows that he's ready now, then that's even a bigger plus. B/c now you rotate in a proven vet when Drake takes a breather. Just keep putting the pressure on the opposing. Arden Key has way more speed and bend that CF simply does not. Not to mention most of Key's sacks were schemed up versus guards. He's not lining up at DE beating guys one on one. Bryant and Hyder are just back up guys that won't bring any immediate or substantial help to the pass rush. I really like Beal as a prospect tho but I don't expect him to start making noise until after this season.

6 to 8 sacks on minimal snaps? Cheap vets don't do that. Thats something Von Miller would do or a healthy Dee Ford. Otherwise, said player would need about half the snaps to get to that number.

Hyder actually got 8 sacks (albeit 3 years ago) and that was without Bosa and AA playing as an edge rusher. Ferrell doesn't have the speed but he has a good skillset and can pick up sacks just from coverage and the QB trying to escape the other 3 guys. Omenihu and Ebukam had solid seasons and put up what I would consider good numbers considering AA was gone a good bit of the year. If either were still around, I could see both giving 6 - 8 sacks with Hargrave and Bosa on the interior.

I think a guy like Justin Houston or Yannick Ngakoue can do what you are asking for, but they will not be cheap.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick

I kinda like that they don't do that. They put emphasis on growing their own talent, a more sustainable approach, I think.

Agree. Those teams haven't done jack. And I'm not saying they have to win the Super Bowl, but they haven't made any real noise either.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick

Agree. Those teams haven't done jack. And I'm not saying they have to win the Super Bowl, but they haven't made any real noise either.

Tampa and the Rams just recently did it....

If u can sign a guy that came make a big impact for that 10-15 mil for 1 year you should do it. Having a better chance to win a SB >>> developing some late draft pick.

[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on May 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:

AA had one good season next to Buckner honestly. Then got overpaid. Then hasn't had a productive or healthy season since. So AA earning his paycheck for the 2nd season in his entire career is key for me with a 20+ mil cap hit. Agree on your other points. I am in the minority of feeling confident in Drake Jackson stepping up. Kinlaw without pressure to start could be a nice surprise. D line feels improved. Significantly

Browns get:
Za'Darius Smith
2025 6th-round pick
2025 7th-round pick

Vikings get:
2024 5th-round pick
2025 5th-round pick

My 2 issues are 1. the reworking another contract, who do we redo, Trent, Kittle, or Armstead, and 2. Za'Darius really fell off, he had 10 sacks, but 9.5 came in first 9 games, idk why that was, he just wasn't a factor late in the season from the games I watched, as I like to watch my late Dad's Vikings games.
Share 49ersWebzone