There are 133 users in the forums

SF VS AZ WRs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Should be an interesting thread to follow over the next few years. Last year SF took Pettis right around when AZ took Kirk and this year we grabbed Deebo and Hurd while they grabbed Isabella and Butler.

On paper, the consensus is that they got better value out of their picks while we reached for guys that Kyle wants to scheme around. So the question becomes who's young group enjoys more success? And subsequently, what style of team building is more effective?

Last year we saw both Kirk and Pettis do some positive things for their respective teams under less than ideal circumstances. Both guys missed some time, and durability is a big question mark for Pettis going forward. The consensus was that Pettis was a massive reach at the time, but aside from the inability to stay on the field, he flashed dynamic playmaking ability with 5 TDs. Kirk on the other hand was seen as good value for where he was drafted and showed well in AZs offense with almost 600 yards receiving in 12 games played.

I see the breakdown as:

Pettis VS Kirk
Deebo VS Isabella
Hurd VS Butler

Let's see how it shakes out and how these two offenses utilize their young WRs.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Had I been GM I likely would have picked Kirk over Pettis, Deebo over isabella and Butler over Hurd.

Will be interesting for sure. I like our QB situation a little more though.
Originally posted by mod:
Had I been GM I likely would have picked Kirk over Pettis, Deebo over isabella and Butler over Hurd.

Yeah, QB play will definitely be a factor.

It's clear that Kyle is building an offense with unique pieces, while AZ is building an offense with the best talent available. By utilizing guys with unique talents, Kyle has the potential to break the mold. But he also runs the risk of falling in his face trying to outsmart tried and true team building. I think this is a fascinating study in philosophy and even if I weren't a 9er fan I'd be rooting for the guy thinking outside the box. Hope it works out for our offense.
Can you expand to the whole NFCW? The whole division got bigger and faster esp. after the draft.

Whomever has the best secondary should win the division.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 29, 2019 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can you expand to the whole NFCW? The whole division got bigger and faster esp. after the draft.

Good point. The transition in the division from defensive philosophy to offense seems like it happened overnight. It's slowly going to be more about getting key stops instead of shutting down an offense entirely.

I like our pieces, but it's going to be interesting to watch this all unfold.

lol let's hope not.

Well, I think this particular scenario presents an opportune case study because of where the players were drafted, the consensus rankings, and the roles the two teams plan for using them. Certainly, you're right, a broader look at the division is also warranted.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

Good point. The transition in the division from defensive philosophy to offense seems like it happened overnight. It's slowly going to be more about getting key stops instead of shutting down an offense entirely.

I like our pieces, but it's going to be interesting to watch this all unfold.

Cards are gonna let it RIP with air raid. Rams already do with WCO. Hawks are going to have Wilson scramble and throw 60 yard TD's to Metcalf. And us.
Originally posted by Chance:

Well, I think this particular scenario presents an opportune case study because of where the players were drafted, the consensus rankings, and the roles the two teams plan for using them. Certainly, you're right, a broader look at the division is also warranted.

Thank you. I didn't mean to detract from the theme here. I just noted a big shift in philosophy in the NFCW to piggyback off of.

Cards WR's have the upper hand considering they get to play the 49ers twice a year and there are literally no CB's to cover them. Should make it pretty easy.

Originally posted by 9erReign:

Cards WR's have the upper hand considering they get to play the 49ers twice a year and there are literally no CB's to cover them. Should make it pretty easy.

Jesus.

ZWR Fitzgerald, Larry
ZWR Butler, Hakeem
XWR Williams, Chad
XWR White, Kevin
XWR Johnson, KeeSean
SWR Cooper, Pharoh
SWR Kirk, Christian
SWR Isabella, Andy

Jesus.

ZWR Fitzgerald, Larry
ZWR Butler, Hakeem
XWR Williams, Chad
XWR White, Kevin
XWR Johnson, KeeSean
SWR Cooper, Pharoh
SWR Kirk, Christian
SWR Isabella, Andy

No question that the Cards got us beat with talent for that position
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Jesus.

ZWR Fitzgerald, Larry
ZWR Butler, Hakeem
XWR Williams, Chad
XWR White, Kevin
XWR Johnson, KeeSean
SWR Cooper, Pharoh
SWR Kirk, Christian
SWR Isabella, Andy

No question that the Cards got us beat with talent for that position

Not all receivers will make the team for Arizona so maybe we can take one of those!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Cards are gonna let it RIP with air raid. Rams already do with WCO. Hawks are going to have Wilson scramble and throw 60 yard TD's to Metcalf. And us.

Us? Shanny will make sure 49ers score 99 points with all his shiny toys

Saleh will be sure to give up 100 points because of our dope ass secondary
Nice thread, I like that it's pretty much apples Vs apples.

The main thing ours have got going for them is Kyle, but if Kingsbury's scheme kicks off with Kyler this will be very interesting.
Share 49ersWebzone