LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Do we really need two Dante Pettis threads for people to sh*t on him? May as well consolidate it and let people sh*t in one area.

I originally started this thread/poll because there was a debate about how many Zoners felt that Pettis had the talent/potential to be a #1. Even after this horrific season he's having, it's obvious that he still has the talent and potential. And the poll speaks to that as well.

That said, I'm fine with it being merged or locked, it's run it's course.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Thank you Freud. Did you get all this from his tweets?

His tweets do tie in, but it also has to do with Kyle feeling the need to push him and call him out. He hardly if ever mentions football when talking about life goals and dreams. Football is something he's good at, but the passion doesn't seem to be there right now.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:55 PM ]
It was a valid thread at the time, but I agree its now the same issues being discussed in both threads.
Originally posted by swaccmac1:
I'm done with this guy... trade him and a second rd draft pick in 2021 for obj and be done with it.

They gave up three firsts for OBJ and you think they will take that crap offer lol
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners_D:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I've always felt that Pettis was never comfy in traffic.. it showed very early how he would drop balls whenever he's in between defenders.. the catches he made for us as a rookie, it was usually when he had to chase the ball floating on the air.

to this day, I do believe it's the only way he gets his MOJO back... send him deep on those POST - FLY - POST CORNER POST type of pattern.

All of this. Regarding the post fly, post corner...all the out patterns...that seems to be his comfort zone. A bigger issue though is Jimmy even comfortable looking his way at this point? For a few weeks when he and Goodwin were out there Jimmy was holding onto the ball too long looking for WRs and taking too many sacks and fumbling. The last couple weeks with Deebo, Sanders, and Bourne, Jimmy looks more confident and is getting rid of the ball faster again.

It would not be too hard for Shanny to do this.. I do believe that certain deep plays he's got can be run in multiple formations or personnel.. For example, the long TD that Kittle had 2 weeks ago, he can have Pettis line up on that or even coming in from a motion then runs the same DEEP MIDDLE..

As long as Pettis gets a chance to run away from a defender when the ball is in the air instead of to run where there will defender(s), #18 will be alright !!

Also, it's a play were Jimmy wont have to read any type of defense.. just the way he threw that corner TD on Pettis against the Cards.
Pettis is not focused enough NOW but maybe he can be later on down the line
Pettis probably planned all along to ride out this NFL thing as long as he could without really working too hard at it, and then pocketing all the cash and starting his photography gig. Just my gut feeling at this point. I know that is pure speculation and conjecture, but I've seen this so many times before in other settings, it wouldn't shock me at all.

Hope I'm super wrong and he comes into next off-season with a completely different mindset.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Pettis probably planned all along to ride out this NFL thing as long as he could without really working too hard at it, and then pocketing all the cash and starting his photography gig. Just my gut feeling at this point. I know that is pure speculation and conjecture, but I've seen this so many times before in other settings, it wouldn't shock me at all.

Hope I'm super wrong and he comes into next off-season with a completely different mindset.

This is rarely talked about but happens far more often than fans realize or notice. It's winning the lottery for players. For them, why kill yourself and have medical issues your whole life? Cash in, string it out as long as possible while preserving yourself and get out. Retire. Be rich. Be healthy. Go fishing.

And if you're smart, can manage your money well and have other interests (i.e. Witherspoon wants to become an MD), I'm surprised we don't see more of it.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 12, 2019 at 6:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is rarely talked about but happens far more often than fans realize or notice. It's winning the lottery for players. For them, why kill yourself and have medical issues your whole life? Cash in, string it out as long as possible while preserving yourself and get out. Retire. Be rich. Be healthy. Go fishing.

And if you're smart, can manage your money well and have other interests (i.e. Witherspoon wants to become an MD), I'm surprised we don't see more of it.

To be fair to Pettis, it's a smart business decision on his part. It's just not good for our football team, and no one wants a guy on their squad that is not fully invested. Teams will tolerate a player like that to an extent if they're still producing, but Pettis hasn't done that since last year. I hate that he's probably using us in this way, but it's not like he forced us to draft him. So, I find fault both ways, sadly.

Pettis is rightfully at the bottom of the totem pole now. Again, anything short of a changed mindset for 2020, and he's a goner.
Originally posted by NCommand:

To be fair to Pettis, it's a smart business decision on his part. It's just not good for our football team, and no one wants a guy on their squad that is not fully invested. Teams will tolerate a player like that to an extent if they're still producing, but Pettis hasn't done that since last year. I hate that he's probably using us in this way, but it's not like he forced us to draft him. So, I find fault both ways, sadly.

Pettis is rightfully at the bottom of the totem pole now. Again, anything short of a changed mindset for 2020, and he's a goner.

Definitely. It's on him now if he wants it. Probably too little too late with the #1-3 being firmly established now. Steep hill to climb even if does decide he wants to be back in.

Originally posted by Niners_D:
I've always felt that Pettis was never comfy in traffic.. it showed very early how he would drop balls whenever he's in between defenders.. the catches he made for us as a rookie, it was usually when he had to chase the ball floating on the air.

to this day, I do believe it's the only way he gets his MOJO back... send him deep on those POST - FLY - POST CORNER POST type of pattern.

All of this. Regarding the post fly, post corner...all the out patterns...that seems to be his comfort zone. A bigger issue though is Jimmy even comfortable looking his way at this point? For a few weeks when he and Goodwin were out there Jimmy was holding onto the ball too long looking for WRs and taking too many sacks and fumbling. The last couple weeks with Deebo, Sanders, and Bourne, Jimmy looks more confident and is getting rid of the ball faster again.

It would not be too hard for Shanny to do this.. I do believe that certain deep plays he's got can be run in multiple formations or personnel.. For example, the long TD that Kittle had 2 weeks ago, he can have Pettis line up on that or even coming in from a motion then runs the same DEEP MIDDLE..

As long as Pettis gets a chance to run away from a defender when the ball is in the air instead of to run where there will defender(s), #18 will be alright !!

Also, it's a play were Jimmy wont have to read any type of defense.. just the way he threw that corner TD on Pettis against the Cards.

Yea cause jimmy can't read defenses
Share 49ersWebzone