There are 256 users in the forums

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

  • Kyzen
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,275
Modded.
[ Edited by English on Dec 8, 2019 at 5:57 AM ]
My prediction for Dante. He'll never get his head into the game. Niners will cut him and he'll sign elsewhere and play out the rest of a short career as a marginal WR3 who snags 4 or 5 TDS a year at best. This guy has zero interest in taking the steps required to be a successful NFL player. He's the anti Jerry Rice.
  • Jiks
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,491
Probably
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 15,090
Originally posted by Jiks:
Probably


Originally posted by pete98146:
My prediction for Dante. He'll never get his head into the game. Niners will cut him and he'll sign elsewhere and play out the rest of a short career as a marginal WR3 who snags 4 or 5 TDS a year at best. This guy has zero interest in taking the steps required to be a successful NFL player. He's the anti Jerry Rice.


Agree with both of you, sad to say, but I remain an eternal optimist and hope he somehow pulls himself out of his steep dive.
physically, yes.
mentally, yes.
intangibles, TBD.
Im going to hold out hope and draw my line at the probably the end of the 3rd game of next preseason. Will probably have an idea by the 1st game. Shanahan is doing this kid right by sitting him in front of a large plate of humble pie. Now, what i hope:

He is/has been letting pettis practice a good handful of big plays, over and over, will activate him for all playoff games, and will then pull out the secret weapon either when needed or in the super bowl if we get there without needing it.

Along with countless other examples during our playoff run, it will be looked back upon as a legendary display of his coaching mastery, and the moment in time when he took the torch which is to be held by the best in the league.

Ha... seriously though, i can see him used in the playoffs as something they havent seen on tape. Perhaps including some of the home run deep routes as he should, by then, be covered by their worst DB- in which case he should be a major mismatch
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,640
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
physically, yes.
mentally, yes.
intangibles, TBD.

His current issues are all mental.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 46,658
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
physically, yes.
mentally, yes.
intangibles, TBD.

His current issues are all mental.

I think he's deep in Shanny's dog house - time is running out for him.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
physically, yes.
mentally, yes.
intangibles, TBD.

His current issues are all mental.

I think he's deep in Shanny's dog house - time is running out for him.

Agreed, maybe the staff should try putting some Cat- Nip in his locker to motivate him....
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
physically, yes.
mentally, no.
intangibles, photography, cartoons, cooking, northwest lover.

FTFY
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 11, 2019 at 5:00 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
physically, yes.
mentally, yes.
intangibles, TBD.

His current issues are all mental.

I think he's deep in Shanny's dog house - time is running out for him.

Bourne is the only player ever to make it out of Kyle's doghouse. You might as well be on Alcatraz.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 11, 2019 at 5:06 AM ]
Im not giving up on him, dude is just way too damn talented.
I like Dante, but I think Sanders was making subtle hints that he's not invested enough. No ones saying you can't have fun, but Dante seems like a classic 9-to-5 guy. Works like crazy when he's there, but that's where it stops for him.

He loves the fun parts of football, but seems to disdain the idea of working after work. To him, that's "his time" and well, to be fair, yeah it is, honestly. He's not REQUIRED to do anything extra. But there are consequences to that. Like falling to last on the depth chart and putrid production cause most other rookies put in more time doing whatever it took to get better.

We'll see if does anything to eliminate his weaknesses and improve his strengths going forward into the next year -- if he's not shipped off before then.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I like Dante, but I think Sanders was making subtle hints that he's not invested enough. No ones saying you can't have fun, but Dante seems like a classic 9-to-5 guy. Works like crazy when he's there, but that's where it stops for him.

He loves the fun parts of football, but seems to disdain the idea of working after work. To him, that's "his time" and well, to be fair, yeah it is, honestly. He's not REQUIRED to do anything extra. But there are consequences to that. Like falling to last on the depth chart and putrid production cause most other rookies put in more time doing whatever it took to get better.

We'll see if does anything to eliminate his weaknesses and improve his strengths going forward into the next year -- if he's not shipped off before then.

Yup I think you're correct. Doesn't seem to have the passion to be great. Which is weird because that was always something Lynch/Shanny preach when looking for players.

Love of football. love to want to be great. hard work etc etc

He will be needed during this final stretch...let's see if he can find time to stop watching cartoons and put his big boy pants on.
For some reason, Dante doesn't have the drive that his father Gary did. So many son's of ex athletes grow up with that competitive attitude but in his case it seems like it just isn't there. Too bad because he has the physical traits that his dad had but missed on the mental side.
Share 49erswebzone