LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Dante Pettis have the talent and potential to be a #1 WR for this team?

I think everyone should be thanking Pettis to be honest. If not for his failure, we most likely wouldn't have drafted Deebo.
Originally posted by NCommand:
100%. As a former coach, I spotted this a mile away and THIS is what sickens me about him. This is the driving force behind my angst. He's cost us so much to date and nobody seems to mind much.

Did you miss when Kyle called him out? Even before his injury he wasn't getting anymore snaps.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I've always felt that Pettis was never comfy in traffic.. it showed very early how he would drop balls whenever he's in between defenders.. the catches he made for us as a rookie, it was usually when he had to chase the ball floating on the air.

to this day, I do believe it's the only way he gets his MOJO back... send him deep on those POST - FLY - POST CORNER POST type of pattern.
Originally posted by swaccmac1:
I'm done with this guy... trade him and a second rd draft pick in 2021 for obj and be done with it.

LOLOLOL good one! No one taking that offer. Ever.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I like Dante, but I think Sanders was making subtle hints that he's not invested enough. No ones saying you can't have fun, but Dante seems like a classic 9-to-5 guy. Works like crazy when he's there, but that's where it stops for him.

He loves the fun parts of football, but seems to disdain the idea of working after work. To him, that's "his time" and well, to be fair, yeah it is, honestly. He's not REQUIRED to do anything extra. But there are consequences to that. Like falling to last on the depth chart and putrid production cause most other rookies put in more time doing whatever it took to get better.

We'll see if does anything to eliminate his weaknesses and improve his strengths going forward into the next year -- if he's not shipped off before then.

Yup I think you're correct. Doesn't seem to have the passion to be great. Which is weird because that was always something Lynch/Shanny preach when looking for players.

Love of football. love to want to be great. hard work etc etc

He will be needed during this final stretch...let's see if he can find time to stop watching cartoons and put his big boy pants on.

Yup. It seems he was born with the talent, but not the drive. It's nothing against him as a person, but he will never be great if he really doesn't care about being great. You have to have the drive to be great in the NFL unless you are so overloaded with talent and naturally high football IQ and/or physicality that you can get away with slacking off (see: Trenton Brown). That's not Pettis. So, if that's not you and you don't put in lots of the extra work, you are simply getting worse because everyone else is working so much harder to shut down your strengths while feasting on your weaknesses.

The evidence speaks volumes at this point. Dante appears to have done very little to improve anything at all. The only thing you can do "maintenance" training on and still expect to be decent at is blocking -- and lo and behold -- that is the only thing he can hold onto as a positive this year. He looked worse on punts returns this pre-season than he did last year. His contested catches were not the best, but they got even worse this year. His RAC ability and his ability to even get open looked like it got worse too.

Unbelievably disappointing.
Sorry if I missed it, but has Pettis ever returned punts? I know he had the record of returned punts in college, but that's a pretty big deal. Has James done that much better? Why not give Pettis a try?
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Sorry if I missed it, but has Pettis ever returned punts? I know he had the record of returned punts in college, but that's a pretty big deal. Has James done that much better? Why not give Pettis a try?

You have to earn your opportunities and the trust of the coaches to get/stay on the field in any role (even special teams), and it seems pretty clear that Pettis hasn't done either.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You have to earn your opportunities and the trust of the coaches to get/stay on the field in any role (even special teams), and it seems pretty clear that Pettis hasn't done either.

True true. Guess he hasn't shown this in practice either. Such a waste
Originally posted by 9moon:
I've always felt that Pettis was never comfy in traffic.. it showed very early how he would drop balls whenever he's in between defenders.. the catches he made for us as a rookie, it was usually when he had to chase the ball floating on the air.

to this day, I do believe it's the only way he gets his MOJO back... send him deep on those POST - FLY - POST CORNER POST type of pattern.

All of this. Regarding the post fly, post corner...all the out patterns...that seems to be his comfort zone. A bigger issue though is Jimmy even comfortable looking his way at this point? For a few weeks when he and Goodwin were out there Jimmy was holding onto the ball too long looking for WRs and taking too many sacks and fumbling. The last couple weeks with Deebo, Sanders, and Bourne, Jimmy looks more confident and is getting rid of the ball faster again.
Reading this thread title makes me laugh. It should be, " does Dante Pettis have the talent to be on this team..."

But seriously, my answer is yes. There must be something going on behind the scenes that fans aren't aware of.

Pettis is talented. Scouted and drafted by Kyle himself. He even had a productive rookie year, despite having CJ Beathard as his QB (I think). He's also show flashes of having elite separation/route running ability. Yes he's a little soft, but he just hasn't been given enough chances. I really don't understand it

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Reading this thread title makes me laugh. It should be, " does Dante Pettis have the talent to be on this team..."

But seriously, my answer is yes. There must be something going on behind the scenes that fans aren't aware of.

Pettis is talented. Scouted and drafted by Kyle himself. He even had a productive rookie year, despite having CJ Beathard as his QB (I think). He's also show flashes of having elite separation/route running ability. Yes he's a little soft, but he just hasn't been given enough chances. I really don't understand it

Game time, he's been given opportunities. Last year he was doing really well with Mullens. This year, it hasn't clicked. He's had a few good plays earlier in the season, but drops at crucial times. There's probably something Shanny and the WR Coaches see during practice that raise red flags.
Originally posted by OC49erLuVeR:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Game time, he's been given opportunities. Last year he was doing really well with Mullens. This year, it hasn't clicked. He's had a few good plays earlier in the season, but drops at crucial times. There's probably something Shanny and the WR Coaches see during practice that raise red flags.

To your point, I'm just a fan. I don't know. But I definitely think he's more talented than Bourne. As you mentioned, he looked good with Mullen's after CJ was sat. I mean, read through this thread. There was a time when he looked pretty legit. Maybe not elite, but definitely a good complementary receiver. Now there's talk among the fans that he won't even be on the team next year. Weird. The NFL and fans are so fickle.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM ]
Do we really need two Dante Pettis threads for people to sh*t on him? May as well consolidate it and let people sh*t in one area.
He definitely has the talent, but deep down he's not a football player. He had a nice stretch with Mullens last year, but it's different this year.

Different environment this year. Different environment in terms of intensity. Last year I'm sure was "fun" to Pettis, while this season guys are locked in, hungry, and aren't just playing for fun.

Pettis doesn't have that mentality, and with more competition this year at WR with guys that do have that mentality, he's been left in the dust. He's talented for sure, but it's not enough. I think he needs to change his mentality to take that next step.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
He definitely has the talent, but deep down he's not a football player. He had a nice stretch with Mullens last year, but it's different this year.

Different environment this year. Different environment in terms of intensity. Last year I'm sure was "fun" to Pettis, while this season guys are locked in, hungry, and aren't just playing for fun.

Pettis doesn't have that mentality, and with more competition this year at WR with guys that do have that mentality, he's been left in the dust. He's talented for sure, but it's not enough. I think he needs to change his mentality to take that next step.

Thank you Freud. Did you get all this from his tweets?
Share 49ersWebzone