There are 290 users in the forums

Roster Outlook (Post FA Round 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The secondary looked terrible last year but a few things to keep in mind.
1. They are all young with the exception of Sherman and Ward. 2nd and 3rd year players often make big strides.
2. They had a ton of injuries to this unit and were playing guys out of position most of the year just to get 4 guys on the field.
3. Maybe the most important. Our pass rush was terrible and if you give the QB enough time someone will get open. This years pass rush should be much better with Ford and a high drafted edge rusher.

I think you are being a little too generous with the excuses. Sherman was fine: Tarrtt was average at best and hasn't been able to stay healthy; Colbert was very poor; Witherspoon was below average.

If receivers are running wide open within 2 seconds it doesn't matter how good the pass rushers are. The secondary needs to cover for at least 3 seconds.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
David Mayo is IMO a lock due to his contract, he got $1.1M Fully GTD, which includes his $850K Base Salary, and a $250K GTD Roster Bonus.

I'd also consider Nzeocha a lock, I expect his $1.1M base salary to be GTD, unsure of full terms.

yeah that would mean cutting or placing Onwualu on the P.S.
We still haven't seen what he can do.
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Mar 20, 2019 at 9:41 AM ]
My take. Locks are expected to make the 53. Strong bubble players are expected to be beaten out by rookies. Weak bubbles are for depth, but have a chance to make the team.

My roster allocation: 24 offense, 25 Defense, 1 wildcard (most probably on defense)
Expected draft:
1xDE, 1x FS, 1x WR, 1x TE, 1xDT/LB, 1x CB

QB - roster spots: 2
Lock (1): Garoppolo
Strong bubble (1): Mullens
Weak bubble: Beathard
We can win with Mullens. Beathard makes the team if Mullens is traded.

RB -Roster spots: 5
Lock (5): Breida, Coleman, Mostert, Juszczyk, McKinnon
Weak bubble: Wilson, Morris, Dayes
Moster got extended, he stays. The bubble guys are just depth.

WR - roster spots: 6

Lock (4): Pettis, Goodwin, Bourne, Matthews
Strong bubble (2): Taylor, James

Camp body: Dunbar, Smallwood, McCaffrey, Lucas
I assume we draft Taylor and James will fight for the last veteran WR/KR/PR position, with Taylor having the upper hand. One spot reserved for a draftee.

TE - roster spots: 3
Lock (2): Kittle, Celek
Weak bubble : Dwelley
Celek is affordable ($2.7m, $625k dead money if cut) for his top-TE2 production, the only concern is his health. I expect Shanny to get a draftee for the third roster spot.

OL - roster spots: 8
Lock (5): Staley, McGlinchey, Person, Richburg, Tomlinson
Strong bubble (3): Garnett, Coleman, Magnusson
Camp body Trojan, DiLauro
The team will add 4-5 UDFAs for TC, but they will face uphill battle to get on the roster.

DL roster spots: 9
DT
Lock (4): Buckner, Armstead, Jones, Thomas
Strong Bubble (1): Day
Camp body : Moore,
DE
Lock (3): Ford, Blair, Street
Strong Bubble (1): J. Taylor
Solomon gets one more year, which makes Day the candidate to make room for any new draftee (QW?). Street will get one year and two training camps to prove himself. Blair is a lock as he's currently our 2nd best edge rusher (5.5 sacks last year, 10.5 career). There are 2 roster spots for rookies here.

LB - roster spots: 6
Lock (4): Alexander, Warner, Smith, Lee
Strong bubble (2): Mayo, Nzeocha
Camp body: Watson, Onwualu, Tamoepenu
Smith will play one more year. Lee is a lock as a/ he's only 23 b/ started 5 games, and played decent (60.1 PFF, 65 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 2 PD) c/ he's a strong ST contributor (66% snaps). Mayo/Nzeocha are not locks as they might be in competition for the same roster spot if we draft someone, and Lynch has shown willingness to cut players with guaranteed money. Watson is out, as I cannot see the team keep him instead of a late-round rookie.

DB - roster spots: 10
SS/FS
Lock (3): Tartt, Reed, Ward
Strong Bubble (2): Colbert, Exum
Weak bubble: Harris, T. Williams
Camp body: Robinson, Powell, Igwebuike
CB
Locks (4): Sherman, Verrett, Witherspoon, Moore
Strong bubble (1): K. Williams,
Weak bubble: Mabin
Camp Body: Moseley, McFadden

Reed was our best FS, and I have him as the starter for now. Williams is not a lock as we have three other slot corner types on the roster and thus replaceable. Exum is not a lock as he is not paid much more than a starter. Harris was beaten out by Exum and had minimal ST contribution. T Williams is weak bubble as he showed well in camp, and was resigned to the PS after an Injury Settlement. Mabin is weak bubble due to his ST contribution (1 start at CB, 47% snaps, 1 FF, 1 PD).
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
My take. Locks are expected to make the 53. Strong bubble players are expected to be beaten out by rookies. Weak bubbles are for depth, but have a chance to make the team.

My roster allocation: 24 offense, 25 Defense, 1 wildcard (most probably on defense)
Expected draft:
1xDE, 1x FS, 1x WR, 1x TE, 1xDT/LB, 1x CB

QB - roster spots: 2
Lock (1): Garoppolo
Strong bubble (1): Mullens
Weak bubble: Beathard
We can win with Mullens. Beathard makes the team if Mullens is traded.

RB -Roster spots: 5
Lock (5): Breida, Coleman, Mostert, Juszczyk, McKinnon
Weak bubble: Wilson, Morris, Dayes
Moster got extended, he stays. The bubble guys are just depth.

WR - roster spots: 6

Lock (4): Pettis, Goodwin, Bourne, Matthews
Strong bubble (2): Taylor, James

Camp body: Dunbar, Smallwood, McCaffrey, Lucas
I assume we draft Taylor and James will fight for the last veteran WR/KR/PR position, with Taylor having the upper hand. One spot reserved for a draftee.

TE - roster spots: 3
Lock (2): Kittle, Celek
Weak bubble : Dwelley
Celek is affordable ($2.7m, $625k dead money if cut) for his top-TE2 production, the only concern is his health. I expect Shanny to get a draftee for the third roster spot.

OL - roster spots: 8
Lock (5): Staley, McGlinchey, Person, Richburg, Tomlinson
Strong bubble (3): Garnett, Coleman, Magnusson
Camp body Trojan, DiLauro
The team will add 4-5 UDFAs for TC, but they will face uphill battle to get on the roster.

DL roster spots: 9
DT
Lock (4): Buckner, Armstead, Jones, Thomas
Strong Bubble (1): Day
Camp body : Moore,
DE
Lock (3): Ford, Blair, Street
Strong Bubble (1): J. Taylor
Solomon gets one more year, which makes Day the candidate to make room for any new draftee (QW?). Street will get one year and two training camps to prove himself. Blair is a lock as he's currently our 2nd best edge rusher (5.5 sacks last year, 10.5 career). There are 2 roster spots for rookies here.

LB - roster spots: 6
Lock (4): Alexander, Warner, Smith, Lee
Strong bubble (2): Mayo, Nzeocha
Camp body: Watson, Onwualu, Tamoepenu
Smith will play one more year. Lee is a lock as a/ he's only 23 b/ started 5 games, and played decent (60.1 PFF, 65 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 2 PD) c/ he's a strong ST contributor (66% snaps). Mayo/Nzeocha are not locks as they might be in competition for the same roster spot if we draft someone, and Lynch has shown willingness to cut players with guaranteed money. Watson is out, as I cannot see the team keep him instead of a late-round rookie.

DB - roster spots: 10
SS/FS
Lock (3): Tartt, Reed, Ward
Strong Bubble (2): Colbert, Exum
Weak bubble: Harris, T. Williams
Camp body: Robinson, Powell, Igwebuike
CB
Locks (4): Sherman, Verrett, Witherspoon, Moore
Strong bubble (1): K. Williams,
Weak bubble: Mabin
Camp Body: Moseley, McFadden

Reed was our best FS, and I have him as the starter for now. Williams is not a lock as we have three other slot corner types on the roster and thus replaceable. Exum is not a lock as he is not paid much more than a starter. Harris was beaten out by Exum and had minimal ST contribution. T Williams is weak bubble as he showed well in camp, and was resigned to the PS after an Injury Settlement. Mabin is weak bubble due to his ST contribution (1 start at CB, 47% snaps, 1 FF, 1 PD).

Mayo and Nzeocha don't play the same position, Mayo is a MLB, Nzeocha a SLB, plus Mayo has his entire base GTD and a $200K GTD roster bonus, while Nzeocha has $750K GTD plus a $500K GTD Roster Bonus.
Share 49ersWebzone