There are 178 users in the forums

Roster Outlook (Post FA Round 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Recent signings amendment:

I think Matthews is close to a lock. Health will be the big issue, but he has shown big productivity numbers, above average route running, and positional versatility. Shabby is going to resurrect his career. I actually believe that this signals that we won't draft a WR higher than the 4th round. It will be a guy who can play the Z.

Mayo and Elijah Lee will be locks as back up ILBs and special teams guys. No need to spend draft capital on this position.

Verrett could be a steal or get cut. He is a lottery ticket. They could probably spend a pick on CB, but it is likely not a high priority.

I believe the draft strategy now will be to take Bosa or Allen at #2 (hopefully Bosa) and then they will try to trade back up into the late first to grab a single-high FS they have their eyes on, like Adderley.
Originally posted by Karma:

I think Matthews is close to a lock. Health will be the big issue, but he has shown big productivity numbers, above average route running, and positional versatility. Shabby is going to resurrect his career. I actually believe that this signals that we won't draft a WR higher than the 4th round. It will be a guy who can play the Z.

Mayo and Elijah Lee will be locks as back up ILBs and special teams guys. No need to spend draft capital on this position.

Verrett could be a steal or get cut. He is a lottery ticket. They could probably spend a pick on CB, but it is likely not a high priority.

I believe the draft strategy now will be to take Bosa or Allen at #2 (hopefully Bosa) and then they will try to trade back up into the late first to grab a single-high FS they have their eyes on, like Adderley.

Bosa and Adderley would be a home run
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Then pick Deebo or Parris Campbell in the 2nd and it'll definitely be a grand slam.

Bosa, Adderley, Deebo/Campbell
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Mar 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM ]
I think there is an OL free agent signing coming somewhere soon, or its a big need in the draft.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

Then pick Deebo or Parris Campbell in the 2nd and it'll definitely be a grand slam.

How are we gonna trade up back into the 1st without giving up 36?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Use a future pick and a 3rd this year

This. I want this with the first two picks.
Originally posted by Karma:

I don't think Mattews is close to a lock and definitely doesn't affect how we draft. He's maybe 50/50 for me. Good vet to have during the preseason but unless he can unseat Bourne, I'm not sure he sticks. He's bounced around and hasn't really shown much as of late. I still see us getting a WR in the first 3 rounds.

I think Lee should be close to a lock for sure. I think Mayo will have competition

Love the Verrett pickup. I think he sticks, but how much he contributes depends on his health. He could start. At worst, (hopefully) he pushes Moore and Spoon
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Use a future pick and a 3rd this year

They already gave up a second round pick for next year. This team has made many connections to their belief of wanting to build through the draft. In other words if they trade up, to me it would most certainly have to involve pick number 36 this year. Their not gonna want to mortgage any more high picks from next year's draft. They already have a limited amount this season as well.

I said before fa I thought they would grab a veteran pass rusher and linebacker in fa. Then in the draft get another younger pass rusher and wide receiver early. Then next year's first round pick would go towards grabbing a new free safety. I still think that will be the direction.

The niners are likely going to bet on a revamped pass rush as the best medicine for the defensive backfield this season, including free safety.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 18, 2019 at 9:14 AM ]
How could general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan pass on the complete package of a prospect in Bosa? Well, they might even have a reasonable reason once you dive into the finer details.
The acquisition of Dee Ford would undoubtedly be a very big part of why. It's not just that the 49ers added one of the best edge rushers in the league. It's how they plan to utilize him. Ford played as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the wide-9 rusher, which made him a linebacker in the 3-4 defensive system the Chiefs employed.
The 49ers don't run a 3-4 scheme but rather a 4-3. Upon the completion of the trade, many wondered if the 49ers would play Ford in the SAM linebacker position in their defense. This will not be the case. When asked if Ford will be a defensive end, Lynch was succinct in his answer.
"We do," Lynch said at the press conference introducing Ford and Kwon Alexander last week. "That's what we see him as ... he fits the LEO mold perfectly."
This decision has a domino affect on the rest of the defensive line. With the LEO position taken, the 49ers must decide who will serve as the team's other defensive end as well as find a linebacker for the SAM position. If the 49ers draft Bosa, he would fill the "big end" spot as the team's other starting defensive end.
That would create a potential playing time problem for the 49ers incumbent defensive ends. There are four starting defensive line positions. DeForest Buckner will be taking one of the defensive tackle spots and Ford will be taking the LEO defensive end position. Two spots left with Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas and potentially Bosa still unaccounted for. Someone would be the odd man out.
*****DEE FORD IS A LEO/DE,,

used to be 5 backs on a roster, 3 rbs, and 2 FB., were just going w/a 4-1 "ratio", that's all. I do think we move someone in 2020 tho.
David Mayo is IMO a lock due to his contract, he got $1.1M Fully GTD, which includes his $850K Base Salary, and a $250K GTD Roster Bonus.

I'd also consider Nzeocha a lock, I expect his $1.1M base salary to be GTD, unsure of full terms.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
How could general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan pass on the complete package of a prospect in Bosa? Well, they might even have a reasonable reason once you dive into the finer details.
The acquisition of Dee Ford would undoubtedly be a very big part of why. It's not just that the 49ers added one of the best edge rushers in the league. It's how they plan to utilize him. Ford played as a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the wide-9 rusher, which made him a linebacker in the 3-4 defensive system the Chiefs employed.
The 49ers don't run a 3-4 scheme but rather a 4-3. Upon the completion of the trade, many wondered if the 49ers would play Ford in the SAM linebacker position in their defense. This will not be the case. When asked if Ford will be a defensive end, Lynch was succinct in his answer.
"We do," Lynch said at the press conference introducing Ford and Kwon Alexander last week. "That's what we see him as ... he fits the LEO mold perfectly."
This decision has a domino affect on the rest of the defensive line. With the LEO position taken, the 49ers must decide who will serve as the team's other defensive end as well as find a linebacker for the SAM position. If the 49ers draft Bosa, he would fill the "big end" spot as the team's other starting defensive end.
That would create a potential playing time problem for the 49ers incumbent defensive ends. There are four starting defensive line positions. DeForest Buckner will be taking one of the defensive tackle spots and Ford will be taking the LEO defensive end position. Two spots left with Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas and potentially Bosa still unaccounted for. Someone would be the odd man out.
*****DEE FORD IS A LEO/DE,,

If you are going to quote an article, source it. Don't just copy and past with no link.

- signed, the author
Originally posted by DaBum:
If you are going to quote an article, source it. Don't just copy and past with no link.

- signed, the author

Agreed.

Signed, the moderation team.
Originally posted by All22:
So Bosa and a single-high safety in rounds 1 and 2 should give us an elite D?

Elite is a pretty big step. At least better.
Share 49ersWebzone