LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Do the 49ers need a High Priced WR to Win the Super Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by thl408:
It amazes me that so few posters on this site want us to have a true #1 WR. Absolutely baffling.

(Before someone chimes in with "nobody is saying that," when you are saying you dont want to pay big money to a WR, saying you dont want a true #1 WR is EXACTLY what you are saying!)

The question is, "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win the SB". The question is not, "do you want to have a true #1 WR?". Why would any of us not want a #1 WR? Those guys are good.

People not wanting to pay for one essentially means they dont want one. And that is what people have been saying in tons of different threads recently. That they dont want to pay an elite WR.

Not wanting to pay = not wanting

If "#1 WR" means a high priced diva who is a cancer and quits on his team, don't need one of those. A non-cancer diva, who won't quit on his team (e.g.,JR), we can use .
All i know is I don't want to pay any of these high priced divas. Let's draft and groom our own guys.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All i know is I don't want to pay any of these high priced divas. Let's draft and groom our own guys.

This.

Slight hint of what he would look like with Jimmy G.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, I agree.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
You don't need a car to get to places, but he certainly helps.

Bad analogy.

This would be like buying a Ferrari to get to work vs a KIA.

Both get you to work. One is a lot more flashy a lot faster but is it worth the money if you're on a budget?

soo... it certainly helps then...
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
It amazes me that so few posters on this site want us to have a true #1 WR. Absolutely baffling.

(Before someone chimes in with "nobody is saying that," when you are saying you dont want to pay big money to a WR, saying you dont want a true #1 WR is EXACTLY what you are saying!)

The question is, "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win the SB". The question is not, "do you want to have a true #1 WR?". Why would any of us not want a #1 WR? Those guys are good.

People not wanting to pay for one essentially means they dont want one. And that is what people have been saying in tons of different threads recently. That they dont want to pay an elite WR.

If "#1 WR" means a high priced diva who is a cancer and quits on his team, don't need one of those. A non-cancer diva, who won't quit on his team (e.g.,JR), we can use .

Hard part is finding one, they don't become available in free agency unless they are a head case. The great ones who also just show up and do their job drama free are in one place their whole career. It is a virtual lock that if you didn't draft them yourself they are damaged good in some way.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This.

See thl, this is the type of stuff I am talking about. People want a #1 elite WR, yet dont want to pay for it.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This.

See thl, this is the type of stuff I am talking about. People want a #1 elite WR, yet dont want to pay for it.

Please SteveWallacesHelmet, re-read the thread title and answer this: Do you think there is a difference between WANT and NEED?
The title is asking, do the 49ers NEED a high priced (#1/elite) WR to win the SB?

My answer, and the people replying in this thread, is answering that question. In my opinion, no, a team (the 49ers) does not NEED a high priced WR to win the SB. A passing attack can be good enough to win a SB without a high priced WR.

Please reply to me without using the word WANT.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Garce:

I mean... They go hand in hand in most cases.

If you have a true #1 that isn't high priced is if you draft them and they are in on their rookie contract or you get lucky and get a dude like Edelman who will play for cheap. Both extremely rare.

Yes they go hand in hand. Players at the top of their position get paid.
You created this thread so I'll ask you this, what did you mean by your thread title? Are you asking if the 49ers must have a high priced WR in order to win a SB? Because you used the word 'need'. "Do the 49ers need a High Priced WR to Win the Super Bowl?"
To me that implies that you are asking if a high priced WR (elite/#1) is required to win a SB. Please elaborate.
Stop looking at the SB winners. More accurate way is to look at division winners and playoff teams. And they all have a Number 1 WR better than anything we have.

Even the Bears who don't have anyone dangerous at the position still outclass our receiver corps.

This is a sick joke and for Lynch to pay all that money for a bum of a RB that no other team would have and to NOT spend decent money on a true number 1 WR should give him the walking papers if we don't make the playoffs this year, no ifs ands or buts.

It really is just roster construction philosophy. In watching a lot of teams, I've come to the personal belief that there are very few players in the league you actually want to break the bank on. Even elite, franchise-level QBs like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees or Peyton Manning of yesterday can only carry a team so far.

It's tough... and then another question is... will these guys actually show up in the playoffs? We had an elite pass-rusher in Aldon Smith at one point, but the year we lost to the Ravens in the SB... it seemed like he was out of gas then. He had ZERO sacks in the playoffs. Marvin Harrison is another guy who didn't really show a lot of success in the playoffs. But then again, you look at the GOAT Jerry Rice... He showed up brightest in the big games.

We currently have a lot of cap room right now, but if we had to make decisions on who to pay? I say spread the wealth around. I'd rather have 3 good/great wide receivers that are all capable of putting up 900-1200 yards than one elite wide receiver who can put up 1500 yards. I'd rather have multiple pass-rushers that can put up 8-12 sacks than one guy who can put up 22 sacks. Because the fact is... Opponents will dedicate a lot to neutralize your superstar... Or they get injured.

Yes, there are transcendent players and you KNOW who those guys are... If we have the cap space to go for, say, a prime J.J. Watt or Deion Sanders or something... you pull the trigger.

I think when it comes to OBJ and Antonio Brown... the question management has to decide... are these guys that are transcendent and will be The Guy for us at their position?
[ Edited by Wubbie on Mar 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

Hard part is finding one, they don't become available in free agency unless they are a head case. The great ones who also just show up and do their job drama free are in one place their whole career. It is a virtual lock that if you didn't draft them yourself they are damaged good in some way.

Yep!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Yes they go hand in hand. Players at the top of their position get paid.
You created this thread so I'll ask you this, what did you mean by your thread title? Are you asking if the 49ers must have a high priced WR in order to win a SB? Because you used the word 'need'. "Do the 49ers need a High Priced WR to Win the Super Bowl?"
To me that implies that you are asking if a high priced WR (elite/#1) is required to win a SB. Please elaborate.

I guess its a matter of semantics. I don't think you "need one" but that would require you to get lucky and draft one or have guys like Gronk and Edelman who are willing to sacrifice pay for a chance to win.

Do we NEED to go out and get OBJ to be competitive? No. We don't. If we had a legit defense - I would say we don't necessarily need to in order to win a SB.

But to win the super bowl ... our current WR Corp is not good enough right now.

When it comes down to crunch time, you need playmakers to win games, bottom line and I think at this point. Yes, we need a guy like OBJ to come in and elevate the entire offense to get us to that Super Bowl Level.
[ Edited by Garce on Mar 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone