There are 177 users in the forums

Do the 49ers need a High Priced WR to Win the Super Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ask yourself if Shanny's o were better with Julio, Andre or without them? There's a very noticeable drop off.

Bosa should be the pick but if you got the chance to puck up a OBJ or Brown it's foolish to pass.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 6, 2019 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
No.

/thread

Double down on no. I don't think our HC thinks this way tho. We can improve on what we have (Marquise and injuries) but if JimmyG can't get a pass to:

Goodwin
Kittle
Brieda
Au Jus
Pettis
Jet
TT/other RB

Then we have a problem...which could very well be the lack of protection kyle had for JG last yr. It was abysmal. Start there. If the WR were Jerry Rice, then yes. Since we are talking about two head cases or at least potential head cases, no...even tho they are each very talented.

To triple down, what we do need is a different body type. I am a big fan of buying low on Funchess. He has a very high contested catch rate, he has great height and size, he provides that missing piece when we are getting over powered on the outside or need a tough catch in the redzone. We have speed, we have shifty slot guys, we have elite TE play...but we done have the Bolden type who plays strong on the ball and catches is it reliably in contested spaces. Funchess hasn't put up dazzling raw numbers but his contested rate is elite tier and I think at his young age there is room to improve with a better system and more receiver friendly QB.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
No.

/thread

Double down on no. I don't think our HC thinks this way tho. We can improve on what we have (Marquise and injuries) but if JimmyG can't get a pass to:

Goodwin
Kittle
Brieda
Au Jus
Pettis
Jet
TT/other RB

Then we have a problem...which could very well be the lack of protection kyle had for JG last yr. It was abysmal. Start there. If the WR were Jerry Rice, then yes. Since we are talking about two head cases or at least potential head cases, no...even tho they are each very talented.

To triple down, what we do need is a different body type. I am a big fan of buying low on Funchess. He has a very high contested catch rate, he has great height and size, he provides that missing piece when we are getting over powered on the outside or need a tough catch in the redzone. We have speed, we have shifty slot guys, we have elite TE play...but we done have the Bolden type who plays strong on the ball and catches is it reliably in contested spaces. Funchess hasn't put up dazzling raw numbers but his contested rate is elite tier and I think at his young age there is room to improve with a better system and more receiver friendly QB.

Funchess is slow as molasses, definitely not a wr Kyle would take the time to look at. This myth that we need a big body wr is so overblown, if you can run, separate and run good routes Kyle will be interested no matter the size.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
No.

/thread

Goodwin
Kittle
Brieda
Au Jus
Pettis
Jet
TT/other RB

Funchess is slow as molasses, definitely not a wr Kyle would take the time to look at. This myth that we need a big body wr is so overblown, if you can run, separate and run good routes Kyle will be interested no matter the size.

There is no place to get separation in the red zone, it has repeatedly shown up as an issue for every team that relies only on speed and ignores size and strength and it has been repeatedly demonstrated with us the last two years. Speed isn't everything, if it was Al Davis' Raiders teams would have 6 super bowls. Its football, not a track meet. When they double Kittle we have nobody on the squad who can box out and be strong on the ball, nor anyone with the kind of height needed to catch the jump ball in the back corner of the end zone. You can literally point to any team with red zone issues and 9 out of 10 have the same problem. Even if he just catches corner route touch down and moves the chains underneath, the kid has value if you know how to use it.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ask yourself if Shanny's o were better with Julio, Andre or without them? There's a very noticeable drop off.

Bosa should be the pick but if you got the chance to puck up a OBJ or Brown it's foolish to pass.

I wouldn't give up this years 1 for either one.
Edit: because our defense is so bad lol
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
no. they need a high profile qb that can make it through an entire season.
Its funny because I've been asking this question over the past 6 months but I've always been shut down because no one wants to hear it.

Do you really trust Saleh and this defensive staff with another top 3 defensive pick? What if its not Bosa? It could be Josh Allen. A guy that needs development and refinement in his technique.

You gotta wonder. If Saleh fails again, then maybe the conclusion that is drawn here is that we've basically been wasting so much draft capital and resources into this defense and it hasn't paid any dividends.

So I ask why not start investing into the offense more? Especially when you know you can trust Shanahan's coaching to get it done on that side of the ball.

Thats why trading down for OBJ is attractive to me at least on the surface level.
The need for a #1 high priced WR (Beckham) vs Stud LEO (Bosa) is a catch 22.
Of course you want a #1 WR that can scare defenses but even with the greatest WR of all time, Jerry Rice, we couldn't get past the Cowboys until we solidified the defense.
Our Super Bowl victories over the Bengals and first NFC title games are remembered for great catches to win,(The catch and John Taylors) but the wins were also possible due to some great defensive heroics.

I think we should draft best LEO available (Bosa) while we still are at the top of the draft and fill in WR @#2 and hope for a franchise WR. Hopefully we won't sniff the top slots of the draft for years to come.
If we get #1 WR $$$$ Beckham and whiff on Bosa2.0 at #6 or whatever then we will be having this same discussion about LEO's next year.
We couldn't hang with the Rams (or Cardinals ) last year because we couldn't stop them and were always behind so we needed that #1 WR. Make the defense strong and Shanahan can keep the offense in the game.
While I want a #1 $$ WR I'd rather have a LEO on defense that can slow down and stop the opposition.

So to answer the question. I think #1 scary WR $$$$ is a luxury but not necessarily a must have for winning.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Need? No.

However, it certainly would make things easier.

I don't think "do they need" is the question to ask. I think the real question is "Will other, more critical, positions be neglected with the acquisition of a high priced WR?"

I only see pass rush and secondary being areas of greater importance for the Niners, as it stands. I can't see them not going after top FA options or top draft options at either of those spots...regardless of what they do regarding WR.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
no one on our roster can do those things you spoke of in my opinion so we need a upgrade big time. swap out garcon for a difference maker

Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
You need a #1 receiver, regardless of how you go about it.

Whether its paying for it in free agency, or trying to hit on a draft pick and develop him in 3-4 years. You're not going to go anywhere in the playoffs. Nobody is going to respect your passing game, if the opposing CBs are just going to be able to smother you easily.

Using New England as an example is disingenuous and dishonest. You are talking about a coach, who does not believe in paying for players. They're probably going to let Trey Flowers go. But I thought edge rusher was extremely important???? It is, but the caveat is that Flowers might just be a system guy. Belichick can probably just find another 4th rounder and replace him. That's how good his draft & development is.

For every other coaching staff, we can't operate like that. #1 reason being, we do not have a Belichick. We can't just keep letting go of talent, and bringing new blood in to coach them up at a high level.

The reason people want to pay $20M for a receiver is because they want to circumvent the development process. Okay....let's say we draft a receiver this year. How confident are you going to be that a rookie draft pick is going to pick up Shanahan's complicated offensive system and be an impact starter for us in year 1? I would say, I have zero confidence.

For a veteran receiver like an AB or OBJ, I would say they'd be able to pick it up faster. But even Julio struggled in year 1 with the playbook. So even for a veteran, this system is not that friendly to newcomers. But at least with those guys, you could probably confidently say that they'd be ready to go in Year 2. For a rookie draft pick, it might take 3-4 years. In fact, I would say right now that I would not be surprised if Pettis struggles again this year again. He might be ready to go next year.

Fair points.

Without a doubt, our WR corp is extremely lacking. I think Goodwin will bounce back next season but he is not a true #1 and you may be right that Pettis is still a year away but we need to inject talent into that position.

People give Goodwin way too much credit. The guy was an underachiever who was oft injured in Buffalo and they let him go. The Niners got some decent production in 2018 but what we've seen is what we'll get from him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
High priced wr probably not necessary but a better gm, head coach and dc yeah.
Not necessarily a "high priced" WR, but we do need a #1. Whether that guy is paid pretty average, or 12M a year, we need one to win a SB. Goodwin and Pettis aren't gonna do it.
  • thl408
They need a good offense that is balanced - not in terms of run/pass, but in terms of the ability to run or pass with equal effectiveness. It's a, "more than one way to skin a cat" issue. They need multiple, capable receiving threats. Whether it's a legit "#1" WR with a few average receiving threats, or a combination of good WRs/TE/RB, it doesn't matter.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I wouldn't give up this years 1 for either one.
Edit: because our defense is so bad lol

Of course not it's the #2 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone