There are 144 users in the forums

Do the 49ers need a High Priced WR to Win the Super Bowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It amazes me that so few posters on this site want us to have a true #1 WR. Absolutely baffling.

(Before someone chimes in with "nobody is saying that," when you are saying you dont want to pay big money to a WR, saying you dont want a true #1 WR is EXACTLY what you are saying!)
You need a top QB who can Deliver the Ball
Good running game and a top defense if you have that you'll at least be in the running.
NE proved that this year I think there top WR was #28th in yards.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
It amazes me that so few posters on this site want us to have a true #1 WR. Absolutely baffling.

(Before someone chimes in with "nobody is saying that," when you are saying you dont want to pay big money to a WR, saying you dont want a true #1 WR is EXACTLY what you are saying!)

I know you have to "like our guys",, but we need one person who is better than anyone on our current roster. we have no one who scares anyone aside from george and speaking of which. we also need a better second tight end than what we have. oh steve. be prepared for the typical... false narrative pushing and you are putting words in peoples mouths
Originally posted by cciowa:

I know you have to "like our guys",, but we need one person who is better than anyone on our current roster. we have no one who scares anyone aside from george and speaking of which. we also need a better second tight end than what we have. oh steve. be prepared for the typical... false narrative pushing and you are putting words in peoples mouths

I tried to combat the idea that I am putting words in people's mouths with what I wrote in the parenthesis. But you are right. They probably will.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Funchess is slow as molasses, definitely not a wr Kyle would take the time to look at. This myth that we need a big body wr is so overblown, if you can run, separate and run good routes Kyle will be interested no matter the size.
no one on our roster can do those things you spoke of in my opinion so we need a upgrade big time. swap out garcon for a difference maker

And Funchess isn't it, I'm all in for a #1. Pettis showed flashes of all those things when he's healthy and we all know Goodwin has elite speed, but I still want that bonfide 1 but those aren't given away nor easy to find in the draft.
  • thl408

The question is, "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win the SB". The question is not, "do you want to have a true #1 WR?". Why would any of us not want a #1 WR? Those guys are good.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

The question is, "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win the SB". The question is not, "do you want to have a true #1 WR?". Why would any of us not want a #1 WR? Those guys are good.

I mean... They go hand in hand in most cases.

If you have a true #1 that isn't high priced is if you draft them and they are in on their rookie contract or you get lucky and get a dude like Edelman who will play for cheap. Both extremely rare.
It's not about how much a WR makes...it's about his consistent production. Usually paydays follow that production. Sure, the team could use an injection of talent...as can the defense. One player's not going to make the difference...it's getting quality depth that'll do the trick. Injuries will happen, although my hope is the new approach to fitness and wellness should help that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No, no you don't. You need a franchise QB who can run your offense with poise and a solid defense. It doesn't have to be a top 5 defense but one that causes a lot of turnovers.
No

People not wanting to pay for one essentially means they dont want one. And that is what people have been saying in tons of different threads recently. That they dont want to pay an elite WR.

Not wanting to pay = not wanting
No but it would be fun to watch
  • thl408

People not wanting to pay for one essentially means they dont want one. And that is what people have been saying in tons of different threads recently. That they dont want to pay an elite WR.

Ok you keep saying "want" so we aren't talking about the same thing.
The thread title is asking "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win a SB?". There are teams that have won a SB without one. Between Kyle's playbook and what I think Jimmy is capable of, I don't think the 49ers need a "#1 WR" to win. Find multiple threats that Jimmy can spread the ball around to and give him some pass protection. Of course a high priced WR worthy of his contract will help and I'd WANT that.

Ok you keep saying "want" so we aren't talking about the same thing.
The thread title is asking "do the 49ers NEED a high priced WR to win a SB?". There are teams that have won a SB without one. Between Kyle's playbook and what I think Jimmy is capable of, I don't think the 49ers need a "#1 WR" to win. Find multiple threats that Jimmy can spread the ball around to and give him some pass protection. Of course a high priced WR worthy of his contract will help and I'd WANT that.

If we want to win a Superbowl, we NEED better WRs than we currently have. I think that is pretty much a given.

There are many different ways to win a Superbowl. You dont need an elite WR, but it certainly helps. Especially if you dont have a top defense.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No, no you don't. You need a franchise QB who can run your offense with poise and a solid defense. It doesn't have to be a top 5 defense but one that causes a lot of turnovers.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone