Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
Bill Walsh picked Giovanni Carmazzi.

wow

Bill Belichick traded Chandler Jones for Jonathan Cooper and a late 2nd rounder
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Well, what else nolan done personnel wise since 2007?

I have no clue what Nolan has done personnel wise, I just think McCloughan is best suited in an assistant role like he had under Nolan and later on with Seattle. Maybe the guy doesn't handle pressure well and simply being one of the voices in the room better meshes with his personality, I just know that there is a huge disparity in the quality of players obtained when he was just the GM helping out Nolan and when he was the guy who had full power over everything here.

How do you go from drafting Staley, Willis and Gore to drafting Balmer, Rachal, McKillop and Reggie Smith? There was a clear dropoff. If it was just one draft, fine, Ozzie Newsome bombed entire draft classes but we're talking both draft classes that he fully ran being disasters.

This...people try to remember what they want to remember. Scotty was a fine evaluator, I don't think he was a great GM at all. He had complete control of those 2008-2009 and like you said how do you go from drafting guys like Staley, Willis. Gore to those two drafts?? It's because he had an opinion in those other drafts BUT in 2008-2009 he had final say.

He's best doing what he's doing right now...supplying evaluations and giving input NOT being the boss. I mean his drafts in DC as GM from 2015-2016 thus far are pretty underwhelming. I'd say his only great picks from there are Brandon Scherff (top 5 pick) and Kendall Fuller (3rd rd pick) and he's more of a slot DB then true stud IMO.

I'm all for bringing him in as a consultant but nothing more (already have a lot of guys in the draft war room).

Exactly.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Bill Walsh picked Giovanni Carmazzi.

wow

Bill Belichick traded Chandler Jones for Jonathan Cooper and a late 2nd rounder

And is somehow in the Super Bowl for the third year in a row, ninth time in 19 years. I'm sure he really gives a s**t about that now.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
That's exactly the point. Nobody is perfect.
Not even Belichick and Walsh.
Originally posted by IT21:
Scott still ran the show when we was VP of personnel and was credited with making those draft picks. He had some amazing drafts.

2005:
1st Round - Alex Smith
2nd round - David Baas
3rd round - Frank Gore
3rd round - Adam Snyder

2006 netted Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Delanie Walker

2007:
1st round: Patrick Willis
1st round: Joe staley
3rd round: Ray McDonald
4th: Dashon Goldson
5th: Tarell Brown

Signed Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks.
Hate on him all you want but we don't get to the super bowl without Mcloughan's crop of talent. He's responsible for 10-12 starters in our 3 year run

In 2010 he was fired 1 month before the draft so I'm sure a lot of the draft relied on his work. We got Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Navarro Bowman that draft.

Yep 2010 was all pro draft and you KNOW Baals-on-chin just used Scottys board.

Dude is an amazing scout and judge of talent. If he'd taken care of himself and was firing on all cyls I think he would have been much better tho

Scott still ran the show when we was VP of personnel and was credited with making those draft picks. He had some amazing drafts.

2005:
1st Round - Alex Smith
2nd round - David Baas
3rd round - Frank Gore
3rd round - Adam Snyder

2007:

Hate on him all you want but we don't get to the super bowl without Mcloughan's crop of talent. He's responsible for 10-12 starters in our 3 year run

In 2010 he was fired 1 month before the draft so I'm sure a lot of the draft relied on his work. We got Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Navarro Bowman that draft.

2005:
1st Round - Alex Smith
2nd round - David Baas
3rd round - Frank Gore
3rd round - Adam Snyder

2007:

Share 49ersWebzone